HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Medal of Honor recipient ...

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 10:54 PM

Medal of Honor recipient and Korean War Soldier accounted for

Source: Army Public Affairs

By Army Public Affairs March 5, 2021

WASHINGTON - The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced today that Korean War Medal of Honor recipient, Army Chaplain (Capt.) Emil Joseph Kapaun, has been accounted for.

Kapaun, of Pilsen, Kansas, served as a chaplain with the 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. On Nov. 2, 1950, the 3rd Battalion was near Unsan when the unit came under heavy fire and received orders to withdraw.

Eventually surrounded and besieged by Chinese Communist Forces, unit members became trapped and dug inside foxholes or behind bunkers. Kapaun stayed with the wounded but was soon captured and marched from village to village, with little food and shelter, to Old Pyoktong, later known as Chinese Camp 5, on the south bank of the Yalu River.

Read more: https://www.army.mil/article/243979/medal_of_honor_recipient_and_korean_war_soldier_accounted_for

12 replies, 1781 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Medal of Honor recipient and Korean War Soldier accounted for (Original post)
turbinetree Mar 5 OP
littlemissmartypants Mar 6 #1
rustysgurl Mar 6 #2
Blue_playwright Mar 6 #5
MustLoveBeagles Mar 6 #3
kaotikross Mar 6 #4
denbot Mar 6 #6
efhmc Mar 6 #7
denbot Mar 6 #10
douglas9 Mar 6 #8
James48 Mar 6 #9
friendly_iconoclast Mar 7 #11
turbinetree Mar 7 #12

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 03:39 AM

2. Growing up as a child in Wichita

and a Catholic, I learned early about Emil Kapaun's story and of his sacrifice. Chaplain Kapaun Memorial High School (a boys private school) was named in his honor (later combined with the girls academy to become Kapaun-Mt Carmel). I am so happy that he has been found and that his family now knows where he is.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rustysgurl (Reply #2)

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 08:55 AM

5. I think all of Wichita was happy with this news...

...one of the good guys.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 03:41 AM

3. ...

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 03:47 AM

4. R.I.P.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 10:28 AM

6. Homeward bound.

Reply to this post

Response to denbot (Reply #6)

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 01:45 PM

7. did you find any info as to exactly where and how his remains were found?

Reply to this post

Response to efhmc (Reply #7)

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 10:47 PM

10. No, giving it a bit of thought Capt. Kapaun wouldn't leave before his men did..

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 02:21 PM

8. Korean War chaplain gets Medal of Honor 62 years after death (4.6.2013)

IN THE COLD, barren hills of Korea more than 60 years ago, two teary-eyed soldiers stood in a prisoner of war camp where their chaplain lay dying.

The Rev. Emil Kapaun was weak, his body wracked by pneumonia and dysentery.

After six brutal months in the hellish camp, the once sturdy Kansas farmer’s son could take no more.

Thousands of soldiers had already died, some starving, others freezing to death. Now the end was near for the chaplain.

Lt. Mike Dowe said goodbye to the man who’d given him hope during those terrible days.

The young West Point grad cried, even as the chaplain, he says, tried to comfort him with his parting words: “Hey, Mike, don’t worry about me. I’m going to where I always wanted to go and I’ll say a prayer for all of you.”

Lt. Robert Wood wept, too, watching the Roman Catholic chaplain bless and forgive his captors.

He helped carry Kapaun out of the mud hut and up a hill on a stretcher after Chinese soldiers ordered he be moved to a hospital, a wretched, maggot-filled place the POWs dubbed “the death house.” There was little or no medical care there.

Kapaun died on May 23, 1951.

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/korean-war-chaplain-gets-medal-of-honor-62-years-after-death/

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 03:38 PM

9. Accounted for?

What exactly did they find to account for him?

“All present or accounted for” is what runs through my mind. That only means you know where he went.

Did they find a grave? Did they find a bone fragment? Did they find matching DNA on a chard of something? Did the North Koreans or the Chinese produce a document that confirmed he was held, where and exactly when he died, and who were witnesses? Was it an official record log of the unit of the Chinese People’s Army?

I’d want more info than simply “has been accounted for.”

Reply to this post

Response to James48 (Reply #9)

Sun Mar 7, 2021, 07:44 PM

11. He had been buried in Hawaii as an unknown, and identified just recently by the Army:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/06/politics/emil-kapaun-us-army-priest-remains/index.html

...Kapaun's remains were recovered from a North Korean prisoner of war camp and turned over to the United Nations Command as part of the 1953 Armistice. All the remains first turned over at that time were taken to a US Army laboratory in Japan, said Lt. Col. Tamara Fischer-Carter, chief public affairs outreach and communication for the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency.

Eight-hundred-sixty-seven sets of remains were unable to be identified in that lab. The unidentified remains were interred as Unknowns at the National Cemetery in Honolulu, Fischer-Carter said in an email, where Kapaun's remains were buried until they were exhumed by the agency in an attempt to identify the unknown soldiers...

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-emil-kapaun-remains-identified-medal-of-honor-korean-war-20210306-aonqn6hirjhgvgxb2bfpkezik4-story.html

Emil Kapaun, a Pilsen, Kan., native, was an Army chaplain who died May 23, 1951, in a North Korean prisoner of war camp at age 35. His remains were previously interred as unknown at a Hawaii cemetery.

In 2018, the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency began disinterring remains at National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu and working to identify the 867 unknown soldiers buried there.

The accounting agency identified Kapaun on Tuesday and called his nephew Ray to break the news...

Reply to this post

Response to friendly_iconoclast (Reply #11)

Sun Mar 7, 2021, 09:54 PM

12. Thank you................

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread