HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Greg McDermott offered to...

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 05:49 PM

Greg McDermott offered to resign, but that's not what Creighton's players wanted

Source: Omaha World Herald

By Jon Nyatawa

Creighton coach Greg McDermott said Wednesday he would have stepped down from his position if the CU players had asked him to.

McDermott on Tuesday publicly apologized for using an analogy to compare his program to a plantation while speaking to the players in the locker room after a loss Saturday.

According to a Twitter post from McDermott on Tuesday, he said this: “Guys, we got to stick together. We need both feet in. I need everybody to stay on the plantation. I can’t have anybody leave the plantation.”

Snip: Also on Wednesday, the Big East Conference issued a statement reprimanding McDermott.

Read more: https://omaha.com/sports/college/creighton/greg-mcdermott-offered-to-resign-but-thats-not-what-creightons-players-wanted/article_2fa71c4c-7c61-11eb-adb7-6b21e97f8f0c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Also see Former Bluejay Josh Dotzler: Greg McDermott’s 'plantation' remarks show how far we need to go: https://omaha.com/sports/college/creighton/former-bluejay-josh-dotzler-greg-mcdermott-s-plantation-remarks-show-how-far-we-need-to/article_8203a334-7c3e-11eb-8297-d749dc1b7038.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

12 replies, 1803 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 05:57 PM

1. I think he should act to make amends--in a sincere and impactful way.

I don't always believe a single stupid comment should result in a resignation or firing but he's got to show contrition and that he's actually learned from it. None of this non-apology/apology crap.

That said, I still would like to know why we allow MSM pundits and politico to refer to "off the reservation" for someone who has moved from what is "acceptable." How is it that no one seems to be similarly disturbed?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 06:26 PM

3. I believe he has made a sincere apology

Is that enough? Probably not. He needs to take some concrete action. Not sure what that would be.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 01:37 PM

8. Being off the reservation refers to a military reservation. nt

Reply to this post

Response to okaawhatever (Reply #8)

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 01:42 PM

10. No. It does not. Read your history

It is a racist reference to the control of Indians. Has it been coopted since for other purposes? yes, but that hardly makes it less offensive. Good goddess! You really don't know this?!

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 05:59 PM

2. A college coach? McDermott seems to suffer from a lack of education.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 06:36 PM

4. I'm a Creighton season ticket holder

I don’t believe coach Mac is a racist. I am troubled that he came up with this phrase that I don’t remember ever hearing before. I think what happens should largely be up to the players. They know his character the best and they are the ones he was addressing. I assume some of them were offended. It has to be at least slightly offensive when someone reminds you that once upon a time, you would have been a slave. I don’t have a solution, but as a Jays fan, I felt I had to say something!

Reply to this post

Response to TheFarseer (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 03:25 AM

5. Your post pretty much is what I think

They know his character the best and they are the ones he was addressing.

I am not a Creighton alumnus, fan, and I know very little about the school and, most importantly, know nothing about the coach
The players know him best. If they feel comfortable with him, who am I to say otherwise

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 12:55 PM

6. It's a common saying, not that it is appropriate in 2021, just saying.

Also "off the reservation" is another saying not appropriate in current times.

I honestly doubt the coach even thought for a second when he said it could be so offensive.

Reply to this post

Response to OverBurn (Reply #6)

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 01:39 PM

9. Off the reservation refers to a military reservation. nt

Reply to this post

Response to okaawhatever (Reply #9)

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 01:54 PM

11. No it does not:

"The phrase refers to the forced relocation of Native Americans to Indian reservations in the United States. Because of this origin, the phrase is often considered offensive or inappropriate." Nowhere do I find it referring to the military.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 12:15 AM

7. You know what I'm not not seeing? His players or ex players calling for his job.

They know him the best.

If he's a decent guy who screwed up it will be bad to lose a decent guy. Or even on above average guy.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 11, 2021, 05:50 PM

12. They reinstated this guy now but he should have been fired

The analogy is to compare his players buying into his program to would be runaway slaves. Thats about as bad of a racist fuckup as I can imagine.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread