HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Yard sale find turns out ...

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 08:51 PM

Yard sale find turns out to be artifact worth up to $500,000

Source: AP

By DAVE COLLINS

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Talk about your yard sale finds. A small porcelain bowl bought for $35 at a Connecticut yard sale turned out to be a rare, 15th century Chinese artifact worth between $300,000 and $500,000 that is about to go up for auction at Sotheby’s.

The white bowl adorned with cobalt blue paintings of flowers and other designs is about 6 inches (16 centimeters) in diameter. An antiques enthusiast came across the piece and thought it could be something special when browsing a yard sale in the New Haven area last year, according to Sotheby’s.

The piece, one of only seven such bowls known to exist in the world, will be up for auction in New York on March 17 as part of Sotheby’s Auction of Important Chinese Art.

The buyer, whom is not being named, paid the $35 asking price and later emailed information and photos to Sotheby’s asking for an evaluation. The auction house’s experts on Chinese ceramics and art, Angela McAteer and Hang Yin, get many such emails every week, but this was one of the kind they dream about.

This photo, provided by Sotheby's, in New York, on Tuesday, March 2, 2021, shows a small porcelain bowl bought for $35 at a Connecticut yard sale that turned out to be a rare, 15th century Chinese artifact worth between $300,000 and $500,000. The bowl will be offered in Sotheby's Auction of Important Chinese Art, in New York, on March 17. (Sotheby's via AP)

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/yard-sale-find-porcelain-bowl-worth-500k-6afe3261a5b4b74e9c02a533e0403081

9 replies, 2329 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Yard sale find turns out to be artifact worth up to $500,000 (Original post)
Omaha Steve Mar 2 OP
leftieNanner Mar 2 #1
Bengus81 Mar 3 #7
marble falls Mar 3 #9
Hugh_Lebowski Mar 2 #2
lapucelle Mar 2 #3
keithbvadu2 Mar 2 #4
OldBaldy1701E Mar 3 #5
twodogsbarking Mar 3 #6
CTyankee Mar 3 #8

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 08:53 PM

1. I hope the person selling the bowl

Sends a few bucks to the yard sale person.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to leftieNanner (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 11:09 AM

7. He paid the person exactly what they wanted for it.........

If he had it appraised and it turned out to be worth a buck IF you could get it would the yard sale person refund him $34.00? My dad was going to put a 40's era cookie jar that had been in my mom's family in our garage sale for probably $5.00. I told him to wait and I'd check online to see if it was worth anything.

Yep...the worth was about $100 and that was two decades ago. Research and THEN set a price.

Reply to this post

Response to Bengus81 (Reply #7)

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 12:08 PM

9. Snooze and lose is the new rule?

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 08:54 PM

2. SHIT, I've been looking for one of those. And here it is March 2nd already. DANG IT! (nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 09:00 PM

3. Lost Renaissance Masterpiece Found Hanging Above Woman's Hot Plate Sells for $26.8 Million

A small panel painting discovered hanging above a hot plate in an elderly French woman’s kitchen is likely a long-forgotten work by Florentine artist and early Renaissance master Cimabue.

As Elie Julien reports for Le Parisien, auctioneer Philomène Wolf chanced upon the religious scene—expected to sell for upward of $6 million in an October 27 sale—while clearing out a nonagenarian client’s Compiègne home.

“I had a week to give an expert view on the house contents and empty it,” Wolf tells Julien. “I had to make room in my schedule. … if I didn’t, then everything was due to go to the dump.”

snip================================================================================================

Per the Guardian’s Angelique Chrisafis, the French woman who owns the panel had always assumed it was a nondescript religious icon. The painting has been in her family for so long that she knows nothing of its origins, including how it happened to end up in her relatives’ possession.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/lost-renaissance-masterpiece-worth-6-million-found-hanging-above-womans-hotplate-180973215/

/

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 09:12 PM

4. How they did it in the old days...

How they did it in the old days...

https://i.imgur.com/9nZXcZN.mp4

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 09:58 AM

5. I have to say

as an avid watcher of 'The Antiques Roadshow', I have seen more than a few times that this type of thing has happened. What I find both hysterical and appalling is when someone walks in with something and describes it as a 'family heirloom' and how, regardless of it's potential value, they would 'never get rid of it'. Then, they hear the numbers, and so far, it looks like the vast majority have suddenly decided their family can suffer through the loss. Very funny.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 10:46 AM

6. I still regret not buying

an original Pong game still in the box for $5. It was more than 20 years ago. Probably couldn't spare the five at the time.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 11:38 AM

8. Cimabue became "famous" again in 1966 when a flood in Florence threatened his crucifix in

the Santa Croce Museum. Ted Kennedy, attending a conference in Geneva flew to Florence immediately, Jackie Kennedy marshaled financial help and agreed to chair the U.S. Committee to Rescue Italian Art. Having a contemporary artist "redoing" the work based on color photos of the original was ruled out. Eventually, an artist came forward with her plan to employ a method called tratteggio, a hatching technique to allow the eye to "average out" the image.

https://florenceinwarandflood.wordpress.com/works-in-exhibition-the-flood/crucifix-cimabue/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread