HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » New Mexico Senate takes u...

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 12:37 AM

New Mexico Senate takes up redistricting reform bills

Source: Santa Fe New Mexican

By Robert Nott [email protected]
Mar 1, 2021 Updated 54 min ago

Lawmakers on the Senate Rules Committee came to a quick compromise Monday on a measure they hope will set the state’s sometimes controversial redistricting process on a smooth path via an independent, bipartisan panel to redraw voting district boundaries.

A substitute bill introduced by Sen. Daniel Ivey-Soto, an Albuquerque Democrat, gained the committee’s unanimous approval, replacing two competing Senate bills — including one sponsored by Ivey-Soto.

Monday’s deal came only after Ivey-Soto took a verbal swipe at critics who accused him of opposing the idea of an independent redistricting committee because his initial bill called for a committee composed of legislators.

“I take a little personal some of the comments that have been made about the perspective of the Legislature in the redistricting process,” he said.

He said his name had been used as a “barrier to independent redistricting. Shame on you, shame on you for doing that.”

Read more: https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/legislature/new-mexico-senate-takes-up-redistricting-reform-bills/article_89012ea6-7976-11eb-86ab-0f3ef9664ace.html

3 replies, 749 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Mexico Senate takes up redistricting reform bills (Original post)
Judi Lynn Mar 2 OP
comradebillyboy Mar 2 #1
rpannier Mar 2 #2
cstanleytech Mar 2 #3

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 02:00 AM

1. I think they are about to gerrymander Yevette

Herrell (Puke) out of her seat in the second congressional district.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to comradebillyboy (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 03:49 AM

2. I'm good with that

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 05:51 AM

3. As long as the voters do not have the final say in districts there will still be problems imo.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread