HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Virginia lawmakers approv...

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 01:50 PM

Virginia lawmakers approve recreational marijuana use

Source: The Hill

Virginia lawmakers passed a bill on Saturday that will legalize recreational marijuana in 2024.

Passing the bill was top priority for state Democrats who portrayed the bill as a way to end laws that disproportionately affect people of color, the Associated Press reported.

Its been a lot of work to get here, but I would say that were on the path to an equitable law allowing responsible adults to use cannabis, said state Sen. Adam Ebbin (D), the bill's chief sponsor.

Democrats are hoping that Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam will send the bill back with amendments, the AP reports, along with an expedited date for legalization.

Read more: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/540894-virginia-lawmakers-approve-recreational-marijuana-use

3 replies, 957 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Virginia lawmakers approve recreational marijuana use (Original post)
brooklynite Feb 28 OP
mysteryowl Feb 28 #1
OldBaldy1701E Feb 28 #2
Warpy Feb 28 #3

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 02:48 PM

1. I am buying canabis ETF stock on Monday

New Jersey went legal as well.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 05:23 PM

2. I cannot wait to see

the faces of the greedy elite in NC, TN, KY, and WVA once they see all that cash driving away to VA. Oh yes, I wish I could be in on a few state Budget meetings once that law goes into effect. These rethug politicians always seem to want to side with 'family values' type of thinking when it comes to this topic... until their donors start whining. Then, you get what happened in VA.! (I am especially looking at you, NC. There is no excuse for this outdated and (clearly) financially motivated persecution of a plant and those who use it. (Unless you are white... the most I ever got for simple possession was 12 hrs of community service, and that was because I was caught by a rookie who was still wet behind the ears and jonesing for an arrest. My more swarthy friends have been treated much worse for much less.)

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 08:47 PM

3. Damn, they beat us this time

Our bill has gone from the House to the Senate. The governor says it's a done deal as soon as it lands on her desk.

I'm looking forward to edibles for pain (I hate opiates), although I have no inclination to repeat the 60s.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread