HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'We are devastated:' Rall...

Sat Feb 27, 2021, 08:49 PM

'We are devastated:' Rally denounces wave of anti-Asian violence fueled by ignorance about COVID

Source: New York Daily News

A crowd of about 200 New Yorkers gathered Saturday in Foley Square to denounce a wave of anti-Asian violence that they say is fueled by racism and ignorance about the COVID-19 pandemic.

The throng heard community leaders and a parade of top political leaders vow to end the shocking spat of attacks and seemingly unending torment of slurs that have dramatically worsened the pandemic.

Angela Wang, 30, center, at a rally with Asian American Federation to rise up against Asian hate in Foley Square, Manhattan. (Shawn Inglima/)

“We are fighting a global pandemic but we are also fighting racism ... We are getting spat on, shoved, punched, slashed, stabbed,” said Jo-Ann Yoo of the Asian American Federation. “Right now Asian Americans are scared, we are outraged, and we are devastated.”

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/we-are-devastated-rally-denounces-wave-of-anti-asian-violence-fueled-by-ignorance-about-covid/ar-BB1e4ZnK?li=BBnb7Kz

5 replies, 1159 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'We are devastated:' Rally denounces wave of anti-Asian violence fueled by ignorance about COVID (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Feb 27 OP
LetMyPeopleVote Feb 27 #1
TexasBushwhacker Feb 27 #2
twodogsbarking Feb 28 #3
oldsoftie Feb 28 #4
apnu Feb 28 #5

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sat Feb 27, 2021, 09:08 PM

1. The rise in anti-Asian violence is disturbing and is due to trump

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 27, 2021, 10:30 PM

2. Another player called Jeremy Lin "coronavirus" on the court

But he said he won't "name or shame".

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 08:06 AM

3. They are the smart people that the

dumb people fear because of extreme ignorance.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 08:30 AM

4. There are a LOT of videos of these attacks. Watch them.

ID the perps. Turn them in.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 10:04 AM

5. This is 9/11 all over again.

After 9/11, anyone vaguely brown and Middle-eastern (to white American eyes, that is to say, all brown people not obviously Mexican) faced racist attacks for years.

I was in a cab in Chicago in July 2002, it was hot and we had the windows down. My driver was a Sikh wearing his turban. We were stopped at a light, two teenage or early 20s girls crossed the street, went up to the driver window and both spit on him, shouted "terrorist!" and ran off.

In 2003 I was taking a mathematics course in college and the teacher was French. I saw him one day in raged and in tears. Someone had keyed his car and scratched anti-French slurs on his car and called him a terrorist traitor. This was when France opposed the Iraq War that Bush was raging at the time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread