HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » F.B.I. Said to Have Singl...

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 09:06 PM

F.B.I. Said to Have Singled Out Potential Assailant in Capitol Officer's Death

Source: New York Times

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. has pinpointed an assailant in its investigation into the death of Brian D. Sicknick, a Capitol Police officer who was injured while fending off the pro-Trump mob that stormed the Capitol last month and later died, according to two law enforcement officials briefed on the inquiry.

The F.B.I. opened a homicide investigation into Officer Sicknick’s death soon after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. Investigators initially struggled to determine what had happened as he fought assailants. They soon began to suspect his death was related to an irritant, like mace or bear spray, that he had inhaled during the riot. Both officers and rioters were armed with such irritants during the attack.

In a significant breakthrough in the case, investigators have now pinpointed a person seen on video of the riot who attacked several officers with bear spray, including Officer Sicknick, according to the officials. And video evidence shows that the assailant discussed attacking officers with the bear spray beforehand, one of the officials said.

While investigators narrowed potential suspects seen in video footage to a single person this week, they have yet to identify the assailant by name. A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment.Given the evidence available to investigators, prosecutors could be more likely to bring charges of assaulting an officer, rather than murder, in the case. But the death of Officer Sicknick, a 42-year-old Air National Guard veteran who served in Saudi Arabia and Kyrgyzstan, could increase the penalties that prosecutors could seek if they took such a case to court.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/us/politics/brian-sicnick-capitol-riot-investigation.html

12 replies, 2395 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply F.B.I. Said to Have Singled Out Potential Assailant in Capitol Officer's Death (Original post)
BumRushDaShow Feb 26 OP
lapucelle Feb 26 #1
BumRushDaShow Feb 26 #3
bottomofthehill Feb 26 #2
bucolic_frolic Feb 26 #4
OldBaldy1701E Feb 27 #11
dalton99a Feb 26 #5
FakeNoose Feb 26 #6
keithbvadu2 Feb 26 #7
OldBaldy1701E Feb 27 #12
reader1 Feb 26 #8
Renew Deal Feb 27 #9
uncle ray Feb 27 #10

Response to BumRushDaShow (Original post)

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 09:11 PM

1. Have they released his cause of death yet?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lapucelle (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 09:15 PM

3. The article has this -

In the hours after Officer Sicknick was rushed to the hospital, officials initially said that he had been struck with a fire extinguisher. They later said that there was no evidence to support that he had died from any blunt force trauma. More recently, F.B.I. officials homed in on the potential role of an irritant as a primary factor in his death.

I had heard similar a few days ago - it may have been due to the effects of the purported "bear spray" that some of the insurrectionists were deploying.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 09:12 PM

2. Find him, charge him, try him, convict him

Put him away for life.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 09:26 PM

4. Where did this misfit hoard of inhumanity crawl out of?

Maybe it's the guy in the horns and fur helmet, but to me they looked a cross between duck dynasty, marauding viking berzerkers, rag tag weekend survivalist re-enactors. If a foreign army invaded the US, this bunch, fully armed, is what they would encounter in the forests and suburbs. I am still appalled at the violence and destruction they did.

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 27, 2021, 08:55 AM

11. Unfortunately

Out of our neighbors houses. We should never forget that the enemy is us. Humans can be very stupid and shallow, and it is there that we need to start addressing the issue. After we hang a few of these seditionists.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 10:21 PM

5. Have they arrested this guy:

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 11:05 PM

6. Wow! The Capitol police weren't allowed any riot gear or weapons

A lot of them didn't have gas masks either. These guys weren't ready for any kind of SWAT situation. It was all a planned setup.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 11:24 PM

7. If he had confessed early on, Trump could have pardoned him.

'Blue Lives Matter' was an empty slogan for the rubes.

Reply to this post

Response to keithbvadu2 (Reply #7)

Sat Feb 27, 2021, 08:59 AM

12. To them

'Blue Lives Matter' only when they are beating up people the fascists don't like. (Usually anything darker than fresh snow).

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 11:42 PM

8. Tough Decision

Must have been a tough decision for them G-men to arrest yet another white terrorists who probably reminds them of their own family. Lets be honest here, if it was darker skin people involved their whole family would have been already rounded up and put behind bars.

Reply to this post

Response to reader1 (Reply #8)

Sat Feb 27, 2021, 12:08 AM

9. That's not honest.

Reply to this post

Response to reader1 (Reply #8)

Sat Feb 27, 2021, 01:34 AM

10. nonsense. the feds have been good at IDing and arresting the insurrectionists.

and i'm about the furthest you can get from a cop-lover. credit where credit is due.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread