HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Fauci: 500,000 coronaviru...

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 01:38 PM

Fauci: 500,000 coronavirus death milestone 'devastating'

Source: the hill

By Zack Budryk - 02/21/21 10:28 AM EST

Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious diseases expert, said Sunday that despite positive trends in coronavirus infections, it is "devastating" to see the U.S. approaching 500,000 deaths from it.

f you look at what has gone on now, and we're still not out of it, a half a million deaths. It's terrible. It is historic. We haven't seen anything even close to this for well over a hundred years since the 1918 pandemic of influenza,” Fauci said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“It's something that is stunning when you look at the numbers, almost unbelievable, but it's true," he added. "This is a devastating pandemic, and it's historic. People will be talking about this decades and decades and decades from now.”

Fauci went on to address speculation that a single dose of the coronavirus vaccine could provide sufficient protection, saying it warranted further study but it was too early to say...................................

Read more: https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/539767-fauci-500000-coronavirus-death-milestone-devastating

17 replies, 1631 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 01:45 PM

1. 675,000 Americans died in the 1918 flu epidemic.

Sickening that we will probably exceed that number?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 01:49 PM

2. And we're supposedly 100 years advanced since then

Think Devo was right

Reply to this post

Response to Just_Vote_Dem (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 01:54 PM

5. We have been de-evolving since 1918.

People cooperated back then.

My great aunt was a young nurse in 1918 during the flu epidemic. She told stories about it.
People wore masks and followed city and state orders. Nurses and doctors were highly respected
and obeyed by the populace.

Interestingly, my great aunt was a young nurse during the 1918 flu epidemic, my mother a young nurse during the polio epidemic in the late 1940's. My daughter is a young Nurse Practitioner during the Covid pandemic.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 02:07 PM

6. Actually, a lot of people refused to wear masks back then,

and huge gatherings kept on occurring, which is partly why it was so devastating. Medical officials kept on begging churches and city officials not to have them, but guess what? They were held anyway.

People have always been stupid and stubborn.

Reply to this post

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 02:09 PM

8. I am sure that is the case. My great aunt talked about what she knew.

She was a nurse in a large city Catholic hospital.
And the nuns ran a tight ship.

But her recollection was mask wearing and people listening to health officials.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #8)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 02:12 PM

10. That was undoubtedly true where she was,

but there were many, many instances of large gatherings that were what today we call superspreader events. Here's a link to an article about what happened in Seattle in 2018. https://crosscut.com/opinion/2020/11/holiday-gatherings-devastated-seattle-during-1918-flu

Reply to this post

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #10)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 02:13 PM

11. The point is that humans have not evolved much in the last 100 yrs.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 01:49 PM

3. More than all US deaths in WW II in less than a year.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 01:52 PM

4. It is heartbreaking and has hit close to home.

A good friend — only 59 years old — died from COVID more than a month ago. He had diabetes, but the hospital would not admit him until his fever hit 103 and he became delirious and panicked over not being able to catch his breath.

He was in the hospital for three days (where they tried remdesivir, proning, steroids, and one of the other common treatments — can’t remember which), until he was placed on a ventilator.

He started having strokes and seizures, and was too brain damaged to be let off the vent.

He died after eight days in the hospital.

Reply to this post

Response to Politicub (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 02:07 PM

7. Sadly, diabetes is a huge risk factor.

As is obesity, and they all too often go together.

Reply to this post

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #7)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 04:07 PM

14. And not receiving care until you're at death's door. That's a risk factor, too.

This care people receive for this disease is heavily influenced by race and class. Like everything else in our society.

Reply to this post

Response to Politicub (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 08:41 PM

16. So sorry, Politicub.

Mismanagement of the virus on multiple fronts has made this pandemic so much worse. Sorry you lost a precious friend.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 02:10 PM

9. Remember how we approached the 100,000 death "milestone" and felt it was so significant?

We have just blown by multiples of that number since then and seem to be getting inured to how this tragedy is unfolding.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 02:15 PM

12. 😢😢😢😢

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 02:37 PM

13. This time last year, if someone told you that 50,000 Americans would die from the virus

you may have questioned their intelligence. As the numbers of dead climbed, so does our immunity to the shock of the numbers. I suggested that this would happen early last Summer and folks, on this very forum, poo-pooed the idea.

My county has only 45,000 residents, and 83 of them have died to date, but mask wearing and social distancing is being ignored on an industrial scale. People have grown tired of protecting their lives, and the lives of people around them. Our Republican governor is responsible for the biggest part of the denial attitude. Of course, what you would you expect from a governor who ordered flags to half staff for Limbaugh.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2021, 07:09 PM

15. Cheeto's American Carnage

We can't say he didn't warn us (although it was thought it would be by way of the war Bibi was trying to get us into with Iran).

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 01:36 AM

17. By the time Dr Fauci was making his first estimates with the big IF, I could see Trump's approach...

...was going to make it so much worse. I long ago felt we had already passed the half-million mark, with states like Florida refusing to even record the numbers.

Like everything else about the Trump administration, the pandemic of 2020 was freefall.

I just passed the one-year anniversary of my knee replacement surgery. At the time I was one of the last elective surgeries done in my local hospital. By the time I started physical therapy at an out-patient clinic, they were no longer taking anyone who wasn’t either post-surgical or post-stroke, just to keep physical distancing. They were suffering economically.

In March, I told my two cleaning ladies who came every other week that I would have to let them go for awhile. I sent them money for a couple of months anyway, but I somehow didn’t think it would stretch beyond 3 months, and now I cannot imagine why I thought that. I miss having them, but far worse is that they need this work, and I have a suspicion that neither of them was eligible for any state aid.

Tomorrow morning hubby and I will finally get shot #1, and 6 weeks from now I hope we can resume a semi-normal life. We are among the lucky ones, so far.

As for Trump and his whole administration, they are the authors of this horror show, and imo belong in prison. Failing that, maybe Hell.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread