HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 100M shots in the first 1...

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 02:53 PM

100M shots in the first 100 days: Biden unveils Covid priorities, introduces health team

Source: NBC News

President-elect Joe Biden on Tuesday promised that his administration would oversee the injection of 100 million shots into the arms of Americans within his first 100 days as president and vowed to reopen a “majority” of schools across the nation in the same timeframe.

Biden, who spoke from Wilmington, Del., at an event in which he also announced the top members of his health care team, promised that educators, along with health care workers and residents of long-term care facilities, would be among the targets for the first round of Covid-19 vaccinations.

Biden again said he would call on Americans to wear masks for the first 100 days of his administration.

"Masking, vaccinations, opening schools,” Biden said. “These are the three key goals of my first 100 days.”

Read more: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-introducing-health-team-trump-holds-covid-vaccine-summit-n1250338

6 replies, 948 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply 100M shots in the first 100 days: Biden unveils Covid priorities, introduces health team (Original post)
sabra Dec 2020 OP
Chin music Dec 2020 #1
Initech Dec 2020 #2
keopeli Dec 2020 #3
My Pet Orangutan Dec 2020 #4
CR4200 Dec 2020 #5
KewlKat Dec 2020 #6

Response to sabra (Original post)

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 02:56 PM

2. Give me, give me, give me!!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 03:32 PM

3. Well, F*$# me! Why are we in such a damn rush to open schools? Why does Biden sound like Trump here?

I'm a teacher. Luckily, I live in a blue state and have a strong union. We have not been in classrooms since last March. I want life to get back to normal as much as everyone else.

BUT...

Why are we rushing to open schools? In my little pea brain, it makes sense to follow the MEDICAL realities when making decisions like risking the lives of millions of people. Shouldn't we open the schools when it is safe to do so?!

If they vaccinate me (which I'm sceptical about), that might protect me. But it doesn't protect my mom and dad, my partner, my friends, etc. A kid with covid could give it to me. My immune system fights it off because of the vaccine, but I'm still a carrier (probably). With no symptoms, I could easily pass it on to my loved ones.

I'm so disgusted with our country prioritizing MONEY over LIFE. Now, it sounds like Biden has taken the same bait after getting pressure from people other than health professionals.

I'll admit that I could be wrong. There may be some justification that I don't know about. But, absent a good explanation, I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Biden would prioritize opening schools in 100 days. We've gone an entire year without being on campus. We almost have a working system going now. Bringing kids back for the last month or two of school is ridiculous. We should just wait until next August when we are sure the extraordinary risk is behind us.

---

If you think I'm slamming Biden, you're wrong. I'm on the executive committee of our local democratic party. I've worked for Joe for the last year tirelessly. I voted for Biden. I'm about as strong of a Biden supporter as you'll find. But, when I see a spade, I call it a spade. This is my life, after all, and the lives of my family and friends. Biden should not set aspirational goals that do not match reality.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 03:33 PM

4. Taht's 50 million people - looks doable.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 04:23 PM

5. Two shot dosage

The U.S. has a population of around 330 million people. 100 thousand doses sounds pretty good, but the initial Pfizer doses would only be enough to inoculate 50 million people since the vaccine requires two shots.

Doesn't sound so good, now.

Since tRump turned down the extra Pfizer doses, offered multiple times, unfortunately Biden and Company can only work with what they have at this time.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 07:59 PM

6. Where will the vaccines be coming from? Is there another source besides Pfizer?

I thought our 100 million was reduced to 50 million due to production issues with Pfizer?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread