HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » CDC advisers to vote Tues...

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 10:47 AM

CDC advisers to vote Tuesday on who will be first in line for a vaccine

Source: Washington Post

No national testing strategy for the coronavirus ever came out of the federal government. Nor was there a nationally led strategy for procuring protective equipment — states were told to buy supplies on their own.

But on Tuesday, a little-known federal advisory committee is expected to provide some of the pandemic’s most consequential directions to states, 10 months after the first case of covid-19 was reported in the United States. The directions are to prioritize health-care workers and residents of long-term care facilities to get the first shots of coronavirus vaccine in the initial rollout, once federal regulators authorize one, because the vaccine initially will be in extremely short supply.

Those priority groups, totaling about 24 million people, have been broadly supported by the advisory group in recent meetings. Tuesday’s formal vote would affirm the recommendations to Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that health-care personnel and nursing home residents be first in line, in what is known as phase 1a. That, in turn, helps states scrambling to meet a Friday deadline for vaccine distribution planning.

The advisory group will also make recommendations at later meetings for priority groups in the next phases, which include essential workers and older adults. An ongoing debate about the ranking of priority groups is likely to intensify as the Food and Drug Administration gets closer to clearing a vaccine later this month.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/12/01/vaccine-priority-groups-covid/

8 replies, 986 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 11:05 AM

1. Not that I'll get a vote... but I disagree

This order is probably standard for a scenario where the contagion is roughly equally deadly for healthcare workers. They’re more likely to be exposed and treatment of the masses requires them to be on the job. If too many of them get sick at one time, outcomes for everyone else could decline precipitously.

But that hasn’t been the case with COVID. Healthcare workers have done a better job of protecting themselves and most of those who get it are not as prone to negative outcomes as the groups that are probably next on the list. Are

I would prioritize healthcare workers only in areas of greatest outbreak and those who have their own risk factors. I would similarly deprioritize essential workers who were younger/healthier and raise the priority for elderly/comorbidity individuals who weren’t in long-term facilities.

Disclosure-I’m in neither group.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to FBaggins (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 11:54 AM

6. The whole US is pretty much the area of great outbreak as far as I can tell.

Great sacrifice like that of health care workers should be rewarded.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 11:05 AM

2. Wait a minute..... I read an article yesterday saying it was going to be up to individual states

I guess we shouldn't expect any sort of consistency from the US Government yet, not until IT leaves the White House.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 11:06 AM

3. Something Laurie reminds me of...the US doesn't have exclusive rights to the vaccine

All of the manufacturers will be sending some of their production to other countries; unknown how many doses will be available for US needs.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 11:07 AM

4. With the limited initial supply, prioritizing health care workers & seniors in care homes is best.

Help those helping others and help those most likely to die. The next group should be Americans of any age with medical conditions putting them at higher risk of death. First responders and teachers should be next. Then regular citizens, possibly prioritizing by age (but that will be contentious depending on what age you consider priority).

Reply to this post

Response to LonePirate (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 11:50 AM

5. I think it could be argued that first responders should be, well ... first.

And you KNOW someone is going to pop in (not here, I'm saying some idiot like McConnell) and say 'We Must Prioritize The Military!' just to be an asshole.

In any case I think we need to do 'oldest first' in the categories we put at the top of the list.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 11:54 AM

7. The professional athlete, the wealthy, are always first in line somehow?????

How will they sneak in line? Just like the usual?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 06:14 PM

8. While half of America has been hunkered down the rest of us have been on the front lines every day.

At my job in the last one-hundred and eighty work days, I have served as many as two-hundred thousand people in my market. I'm sixty and amazed that I haven't gotten COVID yet. I would be quite displeased to say the least if those who have remained at work in high-risk professions were not given priority.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread