HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Polling places in Iowa ar...

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 12:07 PM

Polling places in Iowa are closing due to COVID-19, which could affect close races

Source: The Hill

Voters in Iowa are facing shuttered polling locations less than a week away from Election Day, largely due to the various outbreaks of COVID-19 that have gripped the state.

Iowa is one of the several Midwest states that are experiencing record upticks in new coronavirus infections, with 1,133 Iowans testing positive for the virus yesterday. Two days prior, Iowa set a record for the number of new cases, reporting 2,617 on Oct. 26. In total, more than 121,000 people in Iowa tested positive for the coronavirus.

The current state testing positivity rate sits at 12.7 percent, well above the 10 percent rate recommendation to begin reopening economic and public sectors.

NPR and the Iowa Public Radio News report that hundreds of polling centers have closed due to COVID-19, leaving voters with fewer local options.

Read more: https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/accessibility/523372-polling-places-in-iowa-are-closing-due-to-covid-19

7 replies, 1196 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Polling places in Iowa are closing due to COVID-19, which could affect close races (Original post)
sabra Oct 29 OP
elleng Oct 29 #1
Sherman A1 Oct 29 #2
Kashkakat v.2.0 Oct 29 #3
groundloop Oct 29 #4
stillcool Oct 29 #5
Happyhippychick Oct 29 #6
paleotn Oct 29 #7

Response to sabra (Original post)

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 12:19 PM

1. leaving voters with fewer local options.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 12:25 PM

2. Not good news at all

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 12:29 PM

3. ISNT THAT where they could, and should, get National Guard to fill in? as happened to some extent

here inWI during primaries - prob other states as well.

They cant just close up the polling places - good grief.

Reply to this post

4. Let me guess..... most of the closed polling sites are in blue areas

Reply to this post

5. voter suppression

I don't think a mask is required in Iowa. So I guess they're free to not where a mask, but not free to vote.
These closures also come during a contentious presidential election and many local elections, leading officials to fear that a lack of polling centers may skew the election outcome. NPR further notes that since 2016, Iowa has lost 261 polling places, which affect roughly 30 percent of the state’s voters, many of whom reside in urban areas.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/accessibility/523372-polling-places-in-iowa-are-closing-due-to-covid-19

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 01:11 PM

6. Actually, this is good news is the Dems voted early

Reply to this post

Response to Happyhippychick (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 03:27 PM

7. Yep. Early voting in most states....

is 2 to 1 Dems. Unless the polling place closures are targeted, it's going to hurt the Rethugs, which doesn't break my heart one bit. Shoe is on the other foot for a change. Lets see how they like voter suppression, Covid-19 style.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread