HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Gov. Abbott issues procla...

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:05 PM

Gov. Abbott issues proclamation allowing just one mail-in-ballot drop-off location per county

Source: KXAN Austin

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued a proclamation Thursday designed to “maintain the integrity of our elections.”

His proclamation states that, beginning Friday, mail ballots delivered in person by eligible vote-by-mail voters must be dropped off to “a single early voting clerk’s office location as publicly designated by the county’s early voting clerk.”

That means people can only drop off ballots at one location in the county they live in. All other drop-off or satellite locations will be closed. Currently, Travis County has four drop-off locations listed:

5501 Airport Blvd., the Travis County Tax Office
Two entrances at the parking garage for the Travis County administrative building at 700 Lavaca St.
The West 11th Street entrance to the parking lot for the Travis County building at 1010 Lavaca St.

According to the proclamation, only one of those locations will be allowed to stay open.

Hays and Williamson counties each have one spot designated for ballot drop-off.

It also requires early voting clerks to allow poll watchers to keep an eye on the location and “observe any activity conducted at the early voting clerk’s office location related to the in-person delivery of a marked mail ballot.”

Read more: https://www.kxan.com/news/us-politics/election/gov-abbott-issues-proclamation-allowing-just-one-mail-in-ballot-drop-off-location-per-county/

Fucking Abbott!

Lone Star Dems! Mask up and vote!

32 replies, 1634 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gov. Abbott issues proclamation allowing just one mail-in-ballot drop-off location per county (Original post)
Indyfan53 Oct 1 OP
enough Oct 1 #1
IronLionZion Oct 1 #2
ananda Oct 1 #17
efhmc Oct 1 #3
TomCADem Oct 1 #6
LogicFirst Oct 1 #15
efhmc Oct 1 #18
TomCADem Oct 1 #20
Dustlawyer Oct 1 #4
TomCADem Oct 1 #5
Mister Ed Oct 1 #13
bucolic_frolic Oct 1 #7
Paladin Oct 1 #8
brush Oct 1 #9
Grins Oct 1 #10
Chakaconcarne Oct 1 #11
efhmc Oct 1 #19
George II Oct 1 #12
duforsure Oct 1 #14
RussBLib Oct 1 #16
LeftInTX Oct 1 #22
yellowdogintexas Oct 11 #29
LeftInTX Oct 1 #21
yellowdogintexas Oct 11 #30
LeftInTX Oct 11 #31
efhmc Oct 2 #23
efhmc Oct 10 #25
Nexus2 Oct 2 #24
efhmc Oct 10 #26
Nexus2 Oct 11 #27
raccoon Oct 11 #28
Stuart G Oct 11 #32

Response to Indyfan53 (Original post)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:06 PM

1. It's all out war on the election. NT

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:08 PM

2. These assholes think they're going to lose Texas

the polls show it is competitive this year.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:39 PM

17. That's it exactly!

Until now, Reeps here liked mail-in ballots because the seniors
were mostly Reep.

Now it's different.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:08 PM

3. How is this legal and where is the ACLU?

254 counties in TX. Harris County is most populous in TX with over 4.7 million residents. Harris County is 3rd most populous county in USA, a population larger than 25 states ! Over 1.2 million votes cast in 2016. Limiting drop sites is voter suppression big time.

Reply to this post

Response to efhmc (Reply #3)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:12 PM

6. What is the ACLU Going to Do With a Conservative Court?

This is why we just have to work to vote and make sure our votes count.

Reply to this post

Response to TomCADem (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:49 PM

15. Good point

The new SCOTUS will suppress all mail-in voting - forever.

Reply to this post

Response to TomCADem (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:41 PM

18. If we do not fight, we will never win.

Lived in Houston for 20 years, not only does it have a huge population it is covers a huge area. Harris County (Houston) has 4.7 million people spread out across 1729 square miles.

Reply to this post

Response to efhmc (Reply #18)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:46 PM

20. You Fight By Getting Out the Vote and Voting

Repeatedly hoping for someone to fight on our behalf like the ACLU, will mean we never win.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:09 PM

4. Me and my elderly mom will be early voting in person.

I talked her out of her mail in ballot. We have no trust in the system here in Texas.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:10 PM

5. So, Harris County With Over 4 million People Has One Drop-Off The Same as...

...Loving County, which has 169 people. Yup, the Governor is not trying to jam up counties that have large cities at all.

Reply to this post

Response to TomCADem (Reply #5)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:43 PM

13. Traffic jams in populous counties, impossibly long drives in wide, sparsely-populated counties.

That's the plan, of course.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:15 PM

7. "any activity" sounds to me like entering hearsay into the spurious narrative of voter fraud

who are these "watchers"?

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:28 PM

8. Somebody confirm the one Harris Co. drop-off place that fuckface Abbott left us with.

I hear it's the NRG Stadium---but I'd like confirmation of that.

Greg Abbott, Dan Patrick, Steven Hotze: All of you, just eat shit and die. I'll be thinking of you crooked, desperate motherfuckers when I drop off my ballot.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:33 PM

9. Open vote suppression. Texas counties are huge, just like the state.

People will have to drive long distances to vote.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:34 PM

10. Texas is famous for "ballot rustlers"...

What is he saying about Texans?

How does this have anything to do with the “integrity” of elections?

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:35 PM

11. Any rivers or ditches near these populous ballot box locations?

Reply to this post

Response to Chakaconcarne (Reply #11)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:43 PM

19. Houston is built on a series of bayous. Plus there is a really big ship channel there.

But I get your drift.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:41 PM

12. The biggest county in Texas is about 6,000 sq mis - about 100 mis across and 150 mis north/south...

That means some people have to travel an hour or more to drop off their ballot.

Thankfully there's only 9000 people in that county, and I'd guess most vote republican.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:47 PM

14. By Abbott doing this now,

He just made it more likely both trump and Cornyn and republicans are toast. Abbott will never win another election again, and this will backfire on them.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:05 PM

16. let me guess

drive-up drop-off is probably prohibited.

gotta drive, park, get out of your car, search for the location

just a guess

Reply to this post

Response to RussBLib (Reply #16)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 05:18 PM

22. Yes

Gotta walk in and show your ID.

Reply to this post

Response to LeftInTX (Reply #22)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 10:41 AM

29. we are doing drive in drop off in Tarrant County at our County Elections Office

This is where drop off have always been handled. Of course up until this year the only folks who dropped off ballots were the ones who woke up on ELection Day and realized they did not mail the ballot. This year between the USPS issues and COVID folks are very interested in not mailing and not having to go inside.

SO they took them to the office. Up until this year, we could only do this on Election Day. Now we can do this all the way through the Early Voting period and on Election Day.

Elections set up tents which resemble a bank drive through; you pull in, the clerk checks your ID, takes the ballot and you are on your way. It is very efficient. I think there are 5 or 6 of them encircling the building, they are really nice; the tent arrangement keeps evrything dry and away from wind. Voters can drop off ballots during regular business hours until 7 pm Nov 3. There is a great traffic management team out there to keep the line moving.

On October 5, between drive in mail drop and last minute voter registrations, traffic backed up down the street and onto the cross street and was steady all day. The registration drops were a different color and there were maybe 7 of them. The traffic folks managed to get folks to the spot they needed with no issues. The building was supposed to close at 5; stayed open until 10 pm

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 05:18 PM

21. He did this to shut down a lawsuit from the Republican Party

The Republican Party chaired by Allen West was gonna shut down every single drop off during early voting because the Texas law only allows drop off at Election Clerk's office on Election Day. Abbott made an emergency proclamation a few months ago to allow ballots to be dropped off during early voting. Several counties also created satellite locations.

Bexar County, population 2,400,000 only has one site for drop off. Bexar County never created a satellite location.

The odds are: The Republicans were gonna win their lawsuit, now they have one less argument.

Reply to this post

Response to LeftInTX (Reply #21)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 10:56 AM

30. Tarrant, Dallas and El Paso counties did not set up satellites

I begged our Administrator to set up drop boxes and he wrote me back telling me he was stuck with one drop off until the Election Code was rewritten. This was in July right after the runoffs. He sent me a copy of the proclamation Abbot did to move the runoff date. That proclamation also included the extension of early voting days and the extension of the number of days ballots could be dropped off. That proclamation went out in Late March, I think.

SO our elections administrator got his team together and they came up with a plan to make it as easy as possible for voters to drop ballots off. They did a good job.

here is a news link; just suffer through the rap music commercial https://www.wfaa.com/video/news/politics/tarrant-county-residents-show-up-register-vote-drop-mail-ballots/287-ca219be7-d7f8-45f6-8807-708e96326eb5 They ended up staying open until 10 pm

Reply to this post

Response to yellowdogintexas (Reply #30)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 01:25 PM

31. Same in Bexar

Our Commissioners court wanted satellite offices, but our elections admin stated she wasn't going to do it because of the Election Code.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 2, 2020, 01:12 PM

23. Major Texas voting groups have asked a federal judge in Austin to overturn the governor's order,

which forced Travis & Harris counties; two of the state’s most important Democratic strongholds to shutter a number of drop-off sites they had already opened.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 2, 2020, 02:21 PM

24. How exactly does the maintain the integrity of the election?

Reply to this post

Response to Nexus2 (Reply #24)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 12:54 PM

26. It has nothing to do with intergrity and everything to do with suppressing the vote.

Reply to this post

Response to Nexus2 (Reply #24)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 09:08 AM

27. Exactly

Though the reporting I heard purported that were some rational given that its was to 'protect election integrity'.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 09:12 AM

28. Gov Abbott deserves to be tarred and feathered.

Such unspeakable ratfuckery.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 01:56 PM

32. I know this sounds rediculous...But in an odd way...This is a good thing for us....

Abbott's executive order shows to all what he is about. Some independents and a few republicans will be totally turned off by this....and some before mentioned, will vote for Joe Biden.......

One drop off place per county is so easy to see through: a ploy to limit voting, that is it and that is all.

...Now, many newspapers and radio and TV stations will see through that, (because I can see through that
one) and Abbott has made a serious mistake that will cause some to vote for our side just because he
tried to limit and stop Texans from voting. Let's see, 3 weeks and some days away from the election.
So the publicity and discussion about this, has plenty of time to get larger and larger...

....It has nothing to do with ..."integrity"...and everything to keep certain people (us) from voting..
I guess Abbott is just about as stupid as "Trump"...perhaps the orders came from Trump. If that gets
out and is true, then Texas this one time will vote for the Democratic Candidate, Joe Biden...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread