HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Appalachian State tells s...

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 02:23 PM

Appalachian State tells students to 'remain vigilant' after student dies from coronavirus

Source: CNBC

A student attending Appalachian State University died after developing complications from the coronavirus, university officials announced on Tuesday.

According to an account from his family, Dorrill was encouraged to return home to quarantine after he began feeling ill and later tested positive. After initially following quarantine procedures, Dorrill’s doctor cleared him to return to Boone.

However, upon returning, Dorrill experienced additional complications and was later hospitalized, the university said.

“Despite generally being at lower risk for severe illness, college-age adults can become seriously ill from COVID-19,” Everts said in the statement. “As we approach the halfway mark to the last day of classes for the Fall semester, we are seeing a rise in COVID-19 cases in students.”

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/30/appalachian-state-student-dies-from-coronavirus-complications-.html

7 replies, 1345 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Appalachian State tells students to 'remain vigilant' after student dies from coronavirus (Original post)
sabra Sep 30 OP
iluvtennis Sep 30 #1
klook Sep 30 #2
stopdiggin Sep 30 #3
IronLionZion Sep 30 #4
Rebl2 Sep 30 #5
moose65 Sep 30 #6
WhoWoodaKnew Sep 30 #7

Response to sabra (Original post)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 02:27 PM

1. So very sad. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 02:32 PM

2. Horrible.

I've been to that campus. It's a lovely little mountain town, and a charming environment at App. State.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 02:49 PM

3. really sad. really nice kid

And I'm going to hasten to point out that this kid (and the doctors and university) followed protocol and did all the right things.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 04:24 PM

4. All sorts of people have underlying conditions we don't know about

diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. can sneak up on young people who haven't had regular checkups for it.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 05:20 PM

5. Well at least

this college told the truth. I fear many colleges will try and keep it a secret that students have died.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 08:47 PM

6. It is sad

I live near and work in Boone. When we found this out yesterday, everyone at work was texting each other. At my workplace, we have a lot of contact with AppState, and almost all of us are AppState graduates.

And there are still people around here who think they’ll never catch the virus. We have a big ole group of anti-maskers.

Reply to this post

Response to moose65 (Reply #6)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 09:29 PM

7. i would like more details on this death. do you know them?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread