HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Mayor Kenney says Philly ...

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 12:12 PM

Mayor Kenney says Philly is preparing for voter intimidation after Trump's debate comments

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said Wednesday that the city is working on a plan in case supporters of President Donald Trump seek to intimidate voters, after Trump falsely singled out the city as rife with voter fraud and reiterated a call to supporters to monitor polling places in the overwhelmingly Democratic city. “Based on his comments, we’re going to be making an interagency plan for that day,” Kenney told The Inquirer on Wednesday morning.

Kenney said the city welcomes official poll watchers, who must be certified by the state and sponsored by a campaign or political party. But he said that if Trump’s comments lead to uncertified monitors intervening at polling places, police may need to intervene.

“If they come to Philadelphia on Election Day, the polls will be secure, and in order to be an official watcher you have to be certified, your party has to file for you to be there at the polling place legally, so we’ll have a list,” Kenney said. “People are simply not allowed to stand around there and intimidate people.”

While the city needs to plan for the worst case scenario, Kenney said, he doesn’t expect there to be widespread disruptions.

Read more: https://www.inquirer.com/politics/election/philadelphia-trump-debate-voter-intimidation-20200930.html

As a note, that I posted about previously, we do NOT have "in person early voting" in PA, and "in person voting" MUST occur ON election day.

The nonsense at the debate yesterday in reference to "poll watchers being turned away" completely confuses what is going on in PA at the moment with respect to "voting", because it is strictly related to ABSENTEE BALLOTS (either "no excuse" or "traditional" ) and thus there are no "poll watchers" because there are no "voting machines/scanners" in operation and there won't be until ELECTION DAY.

What we DO have the option to do with "no-excuse absentee" or "regular absentee" voting, where these ballots are normally mailed to the voter by the voter's County Board of Elections, is to submit them back BEFORE election day (but they cannot, by law, be opened and tabulated UNTIL election day).

Many counties have made it easier for people to get those ballots back to the elections officials without actually needing to "mail" them, by utilizing either standalone "drop boxes" set up by a county and/or by having a county set up "satellite offices" where ballots can be dropped off and/or where the previously unregistered (or those needing to re-register due to a move, etc) can register/update their voter registrations, request either type of absentee ballot if not planning to vote on election day "in person", have that application submitted, reviewed, certified, and approved by the county, and then be able to obtain a ballot right on the spot, and either complete it at home to mail in or drop off later, or complete it right away, and submit it.

21 replies, 1416 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mayor Kenney says Philly is preparing for voter intimidation after Trump's debate comments (Original post)
BumRushDaShow Sep 30 OP
kimbutgar Sep 30 #1
bucolic_frolic Sep 30 #2
BumRushDaShow Sep 30 #7
bucolic_frolic Sep 30 #10
LisaL Sep 30 #12
BumRushDaShow Sep 30 #14
bucolic_frolic Sep 30 #19
BumRushDaShow Sep 30 #21
durablend Sep 30 #3
Bengus81 Sep 30 #4
honest.abe Sep 30 #5
onetexan Sep 30 #9
honest.abe Sep 30 #16
BumRushDaShow Sep 30 #17
honest.abe Sep 30 #18
BumRushDaShow Sep 30 #20
Lonestarblue Sep 30 #6
BumRushDaShow Sep 30 #8
LisaL Sep 30 #11
BumRushDaShow Sep 30 #15
bbernardini Sep 30 #13

Response to BumRushDaShow (Original post)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 12:15 PM

1. I hope his insane supporters don't try to destroy those drop boxes

I can actually see in his desperation MF45 calling for this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kimbutgar (Reply #1)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 12:22 PM

2. My understanding is our county only had 3 in the primary

all inside secure official county buildings. Secure as in monitored, video surveillance, personnel on hand. But USPS drop boxes are a worry. I could see where vandals could steal mail and dispose of ballots based on location or screen against voter rolls because names and addresses seal the outside. Signatures too. Who decided it was a good idea to put signature on the OUTside of envelopes?

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #2)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 01:03 PM

7. Apparently other states that have done this WAY longer than PA, have done it this way

and that is because your "voting" is supposed to be "secret" and so you don't want to have identifying info on the actual ballot (which brings about that "other ballot envelope" inside the mailing envelope).

E.g. (and note that counties in a state may have variations on how their envelopes and/or ballots will look when compared to others in their state) -

OR =

MT

NJ

CA

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #7)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 01:15 PM

10. When voting in person

I proudly told election personnel that my signature can't be forged or copied -- or at least I did think so at one time. But anyone who intercepts my mail-in ballot can practice hard if they have the original. I'm sure it's easier this way for sorting and validating though.

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #10)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 01:25 PM

12. In OH we put our signature on internal envelope.

So there is no secrecy concern there apparently.

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #10)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 01:57 PM

14. At this point

unless the person had your credit card (and even those have gotten away from requiring signatures), it would seem to be a lot of work trying to "steal a ballot" just to get the signature. And then do what with it? Try to stand in a COVID line and vote "in person" pretending to be you?

I know my signature has evolved over many years to get to a "hard to replicate" type that appears on my driver's license (and I believe nowadays, that is the one that is used for election verification).

All this makes me think about is Obama's 2nd Treasury Secretary Jacob ("Jack" ) Lew, who had to change his signature to be somewhat "legible" so it could be printed on the money!

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #14)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 02:54 PM

19. Yes, everything would have to go wrong, and it's very unlikely

Don't let your signature be Lewed!

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #19)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 04:31 PM

21. LOL

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 12:28 PM

3. I can envision them firebombing some of them

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 12:50 PM

4. Federal Crime if they do and get caught.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 12:52 PM

5. I wonder if the Guardian Angels can help out again.

I think they were deployed to some polling stations in 2016.

Reply to this post

Response to honest.abe (Reply #5)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 01:13 PM

9. who are the Guardian Angels?

Reply to this post

Response to onetexan (Reply #9)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 02:15 PM

16. Guardian Angels is a non-profit international volunteer organization of unarmed crime prevention.

Reply to this post

Response to honest.abe (Reply #5)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 02:22 PM

17. Problem is, their founder Curtis Sliwa is a RW loon

I had listened to his WABC NY talk show for a long time years ago (including when he hosted with one of his ex wives Lisa).

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #17)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 02:50 PM

18. Ouch.. I didnt know that.

Ive always considered them a decent organization. I thought they were involved in the last election helping voters feel safe at polling sites where Trump thugs were planning to intimidate voters at inner city locations.

Reply to this post

Response to honest.abe (Reply #18)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 04:07 PM

20. Oh yes - the aim of the org was basically "organized vigilantes"

where they were trained and I think unarmed. And their reputation and "uniform" were identifiable, sortof helping to "keep the peace". They were usually riding the NYC subways.

But Curtis parlayed his role in the org to spew typical RW nonsense - although back then, not to the depths that they do today, although he, like others, have moved in that direction.

During his "younger days" -

And nowadays -

There have been various groups like this out there over the years. Philadelphia is not still trapped "in the 1960s". I.e., there are people who might be "packing" in some of those neighborhoods if anyone has any ideas... And many of these RW thugs are a bunch of suburban-born cowards too.

And don't forget that the BLM organization and their supporting protestors are still around and with a wave of the magic cell phone and social media, intruders might get a surprise.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 12:56 PM

6. Maybe the governor needs to send some National Guard troops to a few key precincts.

Trump supporters are likely to target minority precincts.

Reply to this post

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #6)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 01:09 PM

8. If the RW loons even consider coming into the

"Inner City®", they may want to think again since the RW gun straw-purchasers dumped guns in many of those communities.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 01:20 PM

11. Well now you have in person absentee voting.

You can show up in selected locations, request your absentee ballot, be given that ballot right then and there, and vote.
You can also vote by mail.

Reply to this post

Response to LisaL (Reply #11)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 02:13 PM

15. We had that option for the delayed (to June) primary, the 1st election offering no-excuse mail-ins

and even before the law went into effect for "no-excuse absentee" ballots, the "regular" absentee ballots could be brought directly to the County Board of elections and dropped off vs being required to be mailed back. I.e., anyone voting absentee obviously had to have them in BEFORE the election because they would be "absent" on election day.

The big difference between this submission of absentee ballots (of any type) here and "early voting" that other states have, is that states with true "early voting", can have their ballots tabulated BEFORE election day, where in PA, NO votes, whether "absentee" or "no-excuse absentee", will get counted until election day, alongside the regular "in person voting", and there is no "in person voting" before election day.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 01:28 PM

13. Only problem with this is that the FOP in Philly has shown time and again...

...that they're on the Proud Boys' side.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread