HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Exclusive: AT&T considers...

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 07:53 PM

Exclusive: AT&T considers cellphone plans subsidized by ads

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Reuters

(Reuters) - AT&T Inc is considering offering wireless phone plans partially subsidized by advertising as soon as a year from now, Chief Executive John Stankey said in an interview on Tuesday.

The move, which has not been previously disclosed, underscores AT&T’s commitment to the advertising business as the U.S. phone carrier reviews its portfolio to identify assets to sell in order to reduce its debt load. AT&T is considering selling its advertising-technology unit Xandr, sources familiar with the matter have told Reuters.

“I believe there’s a segment of our customer base where given a choice, they would take some load of advertising for a $5 or $10 reduction in their mobile bill,” Stankey said.

The planned launch of an ad-supported version of AT&T’s video-streaming service HBO Max next year will serve as a “foundational element” that will provide new advertising inventory, and would be key to new phone plans supported by ads, Stankey said without offering details.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-at-t-ceo-interview-exclusive/exclusive-att-considers-cellphone-plans-subsidized-by-ads-idUSKBN2663HK?il=0

AT&T sees a new profit center. I see a great opportunity for propagandists.

6 replies, 646 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Exclusive: AT&T considers cellphone plans subsidized by ads (Original post)
Auggie Tuesday OP
benld74 Tuesday #1
The Genealogist Tuesday #2
tulipsandroses Tuesday #3
Bengus81 Tuesday #4
Auggie Tuesday #5
Omaha Steve Tuesday #6

Response to Auggie (Original post)

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 08:03 PM

1. Hey ATT- Fork ur ads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 08:04 PM

2. No thanks. I get sold at enough.

If I need or want something, I will buy it. I can't remember the last ad I saw that swayed me to purchase something.I certainly don't want an ad every time I simply go to use my phone. My concern is that this will be like cable TV. Time was, a selling point of cable was that many channels were ad free. Now look at it. How long til EVERYONE'S phone is full of ads?

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 08:12 PM

3. I'm sure users will find a way to disable it. Amazon Prime phones came loaded with ads

so its not an entirely new concept. It wasn't a phone Amazon made. They were still phones made by the usual brand companies. At the time, when I got mine, they were not doing Iphones though.

With your amazon prime acct, you could get the phone - you still had to pay for it, but in installments and it was cheaper than the retail price. In exchange for getting the phone at a discount price. Your screen was billboard for amazon products. I had one years ago, when I was short on cash and my cell phone broke. You can find anything on youtube of course, there were videos on youtube that showed you how to disable the ads.

I'm sure users will figure out how to disable the AT& T ads. Amazon eventually scrapped the prime phone ads.

Amazon's Prime Exclusive phones are decent bargains over their regular counterparts, but there has always been a catch: your lock screen becomes a billboard. It doesn't really feel like your phone with those ads and offers. You won't have to put up with that marketing for much longer, however. Amazon will sell its Prime-only phones without lock screen ads as of February 7th, and it's pushing an update this week that will strip the promos from existing phones. Amazon's app shortcuts will still be front and center once you've unlocked your phone, but you can always remove those if you don't care for Kindle books or Prime Video. Those who paid to remove ads can get refund
[link:https://www.engadget.com/2018-02-06-amazon-pulls-lock-screen-ads-from-prime-only-smartphones.html|

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 08:15 PM

4. Pfffttt...."subsidized" by ads my azzzz

No, they'll keep JACKING prices while raking in billions of new revenue on ads. But...I have never had them for a cell carrier and still I LOVE and CHERISH the moment years ago when I had them cancel my last land line so they can do what they want to do. Asshats like AT&T are exactly why the gov needs to STOP letting these cell carriers merge.

They remind me of Sears, thought they had the World by the ass and could do and SCREW consumers anyway and with ANYTHING they wanted to do. Not working so well today eh??

Response to Bengus81 (Reply #4)

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 08:23 PM

5. AT&T also now owns the film "Casablanca" ...

a concept I truly loathe.

They’re relentless. Given the opportunity they’d control everything. Subsidized cell service will give them a somewhat captive audience of limited means.

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:06 PM

6. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

NOT Important news of national interest only. Something they MIGHT do.

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.