HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Terry Branstad, Trump's A...

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 01:35 PM

Terry Branstad, Trump's Ambassador to China, is Stepping Down

Source: New York Times

The American ambassador to China, Terry Branstad, announced on Monday that he would step down in early October after a tenure that paralleled a sharp deterioration in relations between China and the United States.

Mr. Branstad, who twice served as governor of Iowa and was a crucial early supporter of Donald J. Trump’s presidential candidacy in 2016, arrived in Beijing in the summer of 2017 with high hopes of using a personal connection to China’s leader, Xi Jinping, to build stronger ties.

Instead, he found himself on the front lines of President Trump’s trade war and, by this year, a downward spiral of tensions that, to many, has heralded a new era of Cold War-like confrontation between the world’s two largest economies.

Mr. Branstad, who is 73, did not say why he was departing now, only months before the presidential election, but it is not unusual for political appointees to serve only a single term.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/terry-branstad-trumps-ambassador-to-china-is-stepping-down/ar-BB190pJi?li=BBnb7Kz

4 replies, 832 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Terry Branstad, Trump's Ambassador to China, is Stepping Down (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Sep 14 OP
Frustratedlady Sep 14 #1
thesquanderer Sep 14 #2
cstanleytech Sep 14 #3
suegeo Sep 14 #4

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 01:40 PM

1. Well, obviously he didn't accomplish anything, other than draw a paycheck...I don't recall a word

being published about anything. He's managed to build his retirement package, at least.

I'd suggest we send Kim Reynolds to take his place. Save Iowa.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 01:55 PM

2. re: "not unusual for political appointees to serve only a single term."

True, but the decision to serve just one term usually comes after election day. If the president doesn't get a second term, it's moot. He didn't want to wait around even that long. It seems odd to resign from a position that is likely to disappear shortly anyway. He wanted to get out NOW.

Reply to this post

Response to thesquanderer (Reply #2)

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 02:14 PM

3. Would not surprise me if he sales all his assets in the US and announces that he is retiring

to another country.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 02:44 PM

4. Gov. of South Dakota dipshit Noem possible replacement?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread