HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Police Are Monitoring Bla...

Sun Aug 9, 2020, 08:00 PM

Police Are Monitoring Black Lives Matter Protests With Ring Doorbell Data and Drones

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by applegrove (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Newsweek

Amazon's Ring doorbell cameras, drones and a number of other surveillance technologies are being used by law enforcement agencies to monitor communities across the U.S., including Black Lives Matter protests.

According to a new searchable database called the Atlas of Surveillance, Amazon Ring has video-sharing partnerships with more than 1,300 law enforcement agencies across the U.S., including the Los Angeles Police Department in California, the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department in Missouri and the Louisville Metro Police Department in Kentucky.

The partnerships involve an agreement that allows the departments "special access" to Amazon Ring's Neighbors app, which provides users with crime and safety alerts.

According to the database, drones are used by more than 1,000 law enforcement agencies: the Boston Police Department has three drones, while the New York Police Department operates 14. Other surveillance technologies being used include facial recognition, currently used by more than 350 agencies, according to the database.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/police-are-monitoring-black-lives-matter-protests-with-ring-doorbell-data-and-drones/ar-BB17KTAP?li=BBnb7Kz

6 replies, 905 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Police Are Monitoring Black Lives Matter Protests With Ring Doorbell Data and Drones (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Aug 9 OP
unblock Aug 9 #1
jimfields33 Aug 9 #2
unblock Aug 9 #3
jimfields33 Aug 9 #4
7wo7rees Aug 9 #5
applegrove Aug 9 #6

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sun Aug 9, 2020, 08:04 PM

1. Amazing how intensely they monitor protests,

and how much they don't monitor Donnie and his crooks while they dole out trillions and siphon off who knows how much....

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to unblock (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 9, 2020, 08:14 PM

2. How can a police department keep track of trump's crimes?

Jurisdiction is first problem and then I donít see how a Chicago cop (for example)could do what you mentioned even if they wanted too.

Response to jimfields33 (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 9, 2020, 08:19 PM

3. I didn't mean that these were the specific people to monitor Donnie et al.....

Response to unblock (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 9, 2020, 09:22 PM

4. Ok. I read it wrong., I do that all the time.

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sun Aug 9, 2020, 10:13 PM

6. After discussion with hosts ... LOCKING

Analysis

Statement of Purpose

Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs.†Important news of national interest only.†No†analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.

Applegrove