HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Chicago Public Schools wi...

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:15 PM

Chicago Public Schools will go fully remote to start the fall

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

Chicago Public Schools students will start the new school year at home next month as officials plan to announce as soon as Wednesday that theyíll back off a proposal that would have put children in classrooms two days a week, sources told the Chicago Sun-Times.

The decision to keep kids at home is an abrupt about-face from city officials who have faced heavy pressure from teachers and parents to go fully remote over health concerns during a pandemic, and who only four days ago asked families to tell CPS whether their children would opt into the districtís in-person plan.

The switch, spearheaded by Mayor Lori Lightfootís office, also comes mere hours after the city health commissioner said she was in favor of putting kids in schools with proper health protocols, and that she didnít believe the risk of spread was significant.

Read more: https://chicago.suntimes.com/education/2020/8/4/21354898/chicago-public-schools-remote-fall-no-classes-coronavirus-covid

Heartbreaking for the kids, but probably the right decision.

21 replies, 876 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chicago Public Schools will go fully remote to start the fall (Original post)
greenjar_01 Aug 4 OP
live love laugh Aug 4 #1
bluestarone Aug 4 #2
mucifer Aug 4 #3
MichMan Aug 4 #4
iluvtennis Aug 4 #7
Hassin Bin Sober Aug 4 #8
MichMan Aug 4 #9
EllieBC Aug 4 #11
Hassin Bin Sober Aug 4 #15
EllieBC Aug 5 #20
greenjar_01 Aug 4 #12
Hassin Bin Sober Aug 4 #13
greenjar_01 Aug 4 #14
Hassin Bin Sober Aug 4 #16
greenjar_01 Aug 4 #17
Hassin Bin Sober Aug 4 #18
MichMan Aug 5 #21
pnwmom Aug 5 #19
SheltieLover Aug 4 #5
iluvtennis Aug 4 #6
Igel Aug 4 #10

Response to greenjar_01 (Original post)

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:25 PM

1. Yayyyyyy

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:31 PM

2. SMART move!

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:33 PM

3. The teachers were planning on striking if Lightfoot didn't offer 100% remote learning

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:36 PM

4. As long as it is for the same 6-7 hrs a day they would spend in person

that is a good plan. If it's only for a few hours a day, they are being cheated out of their right to an education.

If they don't complete the required hours, they shouldn't be promoted to the next grade.

Reply to this post

Response to MichMan (Reply #4)

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:46 PM

7. My daughter is in high school in Italy. They did online schooling from March to June. It was a full

set of courses each day - 9am to 3pm, Mon thru Fri.

Although not as interactive as in classrooom teaching, it worked.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:48 PM

8. Well that ain't going to happen.

The year is pretty much a write off. The year that didnít happen.

Maybe going forward we can equip teachers and poor working families. This year is fucked.

Reply to this post

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #8)

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:54 PM

9. How can students responsibly be moved up to the next grade..

...if they haven't received all the instruction for the current grade?

STEM curriculum is essential in today's world. How can a student take Algebra II or Advanced Chemistry in the next grade, if they only learned 60% of Algebra I or Introduction to Chemistry?

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 10:25 PM

11. It could happen. No reason for it not to.

Independent schools here did that this spring. The public schools didnít. Thereís literally no reason they canít teach a full school day (obviously minus extras) remotely.

Reply to this post

Response to EllieBC (Reply #11)

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 10:58 PM

15. What about poor families with no internet access? Not to mention stable home lives.

Comcast has to get their pound of flesh. The previous mayor wanted to get free public WiFi but we canít have that now can we.

There are some programs in the pipeline to get access for kids. They will be phased in over several years.

That ainít gonna help now.

Reply to this post

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #15)

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 01:32 AM

20. That's part of why BC

is opting to restart school. Too many families who are lower income and indigenous communities who lack decent internet and tech equipment. Everyone says itís ok if they miss a year but kids from families where everyone has to work or who are lower income will slip farther behind than their suburban peers.

This is a lose-lose no matter which way they go for school this coming year.

But if they are going all remote it should be the states send out the funds to make sure every kid has access to a full day of remote learning somehow.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 10:39 PM

12. The Chicago Public School remote sessions seem to be scheduled through the first quarter

That's early November.

Unlike a lot of the commenters in this thread, I have skin in the game: two children in CPS. We opted hybrid (two days in) for both of them, but like I said, given our numbers in Chicago, this is probably the best course of action. How the entire society wasn't revved up in planning for the 2020-2021 school year is a mystery, but a catastrophic failure of national leadership that is, quite frankly, unprecedented in our history.

Have fun with the no-stakes speculating, though.

Reply to this post

Response to greenjar_01 (Reply #12)

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 10:52 PM

13. I have a lot of friends that work for cps.

One Psychologist a Principal and several teachers. Evanston teachers too.

I have no doubt classes are scheduled. And I have no doubt families that are willing and able to do the heavy lifting to make it happen WILL make it happen.

For a sizable minority, things are going to slip through the cracks. Mostly for poor disadvantaged kids with family challenges.

Those kids were suffering before COVID. COVID is only making it worse.

What I was commenting on was someone seeming to get their rocks off with the prospect of holding back kids. That ainít gonna happen. Either families are going to step up or the year is a write off. They are not going to hold half the class back.

Reply to this post

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #13)

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 10:58 PM

14. I know you're on the right side of things

Unlike your interlocutor.

Sorry if I seemed to be hooking off on you.

Reply to this post

Response to greenjar_01 (Reply #14)

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 11:33 PM

16. No problem.

I still have a case of raw ass over the whole Waiting For Superman craze that swept through my ďliberalĒ friends who thought charter schools would solve all the problems in public education.

My neighbor teaches gifted children Science in Lawndale. Even the gifted kids are having a rough go of it. The kids are helping out around the house with younger siblings, dealing with sick elderly relatives all while dealing with normally fucked up living situations - no equipment or place to do homework. School was their island of sanity.

My other neighbor is a school psychologist. She once texted my partner to apologize for an argument they had. She did this while hiding under her desk on lockdown. She thought she was going to die. A gang fight broke out on the second floor and was made worse when the parents showed up to join in on the fight. Lovely.

My buddy has been teaching in Evanston for 25 years. Evanston is, in a nutshell, indicative of the problems. He has kids of affluent parents who shower him with gifts and kids of abject poverty who wonít or canít show up for anything. Guess which kids do better in school.

Several of my contemporaries started out young idealistic teachers in CPS in the 90s. The stories I heard from them... they are all out in the suburbs now.

Reply to this post

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #16)

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 11:35 PM

17. CPS has been very good for us and we love it

The kids love their schools and I wouldn't dream of moving out of the city.

Reply to this post

Response to greenjar_01 (Reply #17)

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 11:50 PM

18. Yeah there are some great schools.

My nephew goes to Ravensood. Heís had amazing teachers and Principals. We have some great schools by us near Wrigleyville/Southport.

My other nephew graduated from Chi Arts and is now in the Denver ballet after being with Joffrey (well he was until the world took a shit). His parents moved from downstate to send him there. His little sister has a great school in Beverly.

Reply to this post

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #13)

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 07:43 AM

21. What do you mean when you say the year is a write off?

Everyone will get held back whether they complete all the remote classes or not? Or that everyone gets advanced regardless if they only learned a fraction of the material?

STEM curriculum is essential in today's world. How can a student take Algebra II or Advanced Chemistry in the next grade, if they only learned 60% of Algebra I or Introduction to Chemistry?

That doesn't seem like it is sending the right message.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 12:17 AM

19. Homeschoolers don't need as many hours a day, so why should kids being taught at home?

Some might need the whole day, but not all. If kids can accomplish the work faster, why should they have to fill several hours with busy work?

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:37 PM

5. Good!

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:41 PM

6. We are in a pandemic. This is the right decision to ensure the kids health & safety. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 4, 2020, 10:21 PM

10. Useful link.

https://www.thelancet.com/

Check out the Australian cohort article with its conclusions and caveats.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread