HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 1 Marine dead, 8 missing ...

Fri Jul 31, 2020, 02:17 PM

1 Marine dead, 8 missing after amphibious assault vehicle takes on water near San Clemente Island

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

One Marine is dead, two are in the hospital and eight more service members are missing off the coast of San Clemente Island after their assault amphibious vehicle began taking on water Thursday afternoon, the Marines said in a statement early Friday.

There were 16 service members in the vehicle — 15 Marines and one sailor. Eight have been recovered and a multi-ship, multi-agency search is underway for eight who are missing.

They are all based at Camp Pendleton. Some of the Marines are assigned to Battalion Landing Team 1/4, a Marine spokesman told the Union-Tribune. The unit is attached to the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit which is conducting routine training off the coast of San Diego near San Clemente Island.

“We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident. I ask that you keep our Marines, Sailors, and their families in your prayers as we continue our search,” said Col. Christopher Bronzi, 15th MEU Commanding Officer, in a statement.

Read more: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/military/story/2020-07-31/1-marine-dead-8-missing-after-amphibious-assault-vehicle-takes-on-water-near-san-clemente-island

7 replies, 336 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply 1 Marine dead, 8 missing after amphibious assault vehicle takes on water near San Clemente Island (Original post)
Zorro Friday OP
Hoyt Friday #1
tiptonic Friday #2
Hoyt Friday #3
Massacure Friday #4
hack89 Friday #6
keithbvadu2 Friday #5
Omaha Steve Friday #7

Response to Hoyt (Reply #1)

Fri Jul 31, 2020, 02:38 PM

2. They float

They float like a rock.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to tiptonic (Reply #2)

Fri Jul 31, 2020, 02:51 PM

3. Yeah, and it looks like escaping from a cave if it's taking on water. No thanks.

Fri Jul 31, 2020, 02:52 PM

4. When you say "a rock", are you thinking granite or something more like pumice?

Just curious

Fri Jul 31, 2020, 02:57 PM

6. I have launched a lot of these when I was in the Navy

They have an outstanding safety record - they don’t sink easy. Either they caught a freak wave that pushed it down too long or a valve was left open due to human error.

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Fri Jul 31, 2020, 02:56 PM

5. A swimming bulldozer.

A swimming bulldozer.

I rode one from ship to shore at Camp Lejune with a kidney stone ripping its way down through...

NOT one of your better rides.

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Fri Jul 31, 2020, 03:07 PM

7. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Dupe. See the earlier post here: https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142550479

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.