HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » The latest trend among we...

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 03:55 PM

The latest trend among wealthy American travelers? Buying another country's citizenship.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by applegrove (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Washington Post

For generations, the American passport afforded its holders the privilege of hassle-free travel around much of the world. That has changed with the coronavirus pandemic. While borders are beginning to reopen to international travel, some countries are staying closed to Americans because of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak stateside.

These travel restrictions are producing an emerging trend among some wealthy Americans: buying a second passport.

“This limitation of mobility has made more people aware of ... the benefits of having more than one passport,” said Armand Arton, the president of financial firm Arton Capital, which specializes in citizenship through investment.

...snip...

Arton says his firm has seen a 30 to 40 percent increase, year to date, in demand for services that help clients obtain citizenship in a sovereign state through financial means. The price tag for these services varies, ranging from $100,000 for some Caribbean options to more than $2 million for European ones.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/07/29/latest-trend-among-wealthy-american-travelers-buying-another-countrys-citizenship/?utm_campaign=wp_by_the_way&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_bytheway

Malta looks attractive. Access to the EU and they speak English...

9 replies, 1672 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply The latest trend among wealthy American travelers? Buying another country's citizenship. (Original post)
brooklynite Thursday OP
BamaRefugee Thursday #1
brooklynite Thursday #4
BamaRefugee Thursday #5
thucythucy Thursday #2
pamdb Thursday #3
rainin Thursday #6
honest.abe Thursday #7
llashram Thursday #8
applegrove Thursday #9

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 04:21 PM

1. These are the REAL AMERICAN PATRIOTS!

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BamaRefugee (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 05:13 PM

4. Um, I've seen people here talking about leaving...

Response to brooklynite (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 05:27 PM

5. By BUYING citizenship somewhere else? I haven't.

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 04:31 PM

2. Real nice way to spread the virus

in countries where people listen to science and governments care about their people.

I'm sure the people of Malta, and where ever else these folks wanna visit, will love Americans even more once we reignite the pandemic in their countries.

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 04:33 PM

3. citizenship

Boy, I would love to buy a Canadian citizenship/passport. My grandmother was
born in Ontario and that used to be enough, years ago to get citizenship. Not
anymore. And it's only a 3 hours to Sarnia!! But they don't want old people
(and I can't blame them) and you have to have a LOT of money if you're not planning on working and at 69 and 68, we wouldn't be working. Oh well.

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 05:46 PM

6. At $521 every two weeks, I'll be saving for quite a while

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 06:12 PM

7. You can "buy" a permanent resident visa in the Philippines for $10,000 bank deposit

Its called the Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV)

"Healthy".. 50 years old & above: US$ 10,000.00 (with a pension)** US$ 20,000.00 (without pension) 35 to 49 years old: US$ 50,000.00 **Required pension of at least US$ 800 for single / US$1,000 for couple

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

I am seriously considering it. My wife is from the Philippines and we have alot of contacts and relatives there.

Im not "wealthy" but I can swing the 10K I think.

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 08:34 PM

8. know which way the wind is blowing

rats deserting the ship.

Thu Jul 30, 2020, 09:46 PM

9. After discussion with hists ... LOCKING

"Statement of Purpose

Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread."

Published yesterday:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/07/29/latest-trend-among-wealthy-american-travelers-buying-another-countrys-citizenship/%3foutputType=amp