HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » State Attorney General Ca...

Wed Jul 8, 2020, 08:57 PM

State Attorney General Calls for Stripping N.Y.P.D. Control From Mayor

Source: New York Times

er in Brooklyn pulled down a protester’s mask and pepper-sprayed him. Another officer shoved a young woman to the ground, knocking her head against the pavement and giving her a concussion. An officer in Manhattan pulled a gun and waved it at protesters after one of his colleagues was hit in the head with an thrown object.

These incidents were described in a lengthy report that the state attorney general released Wednesday after hearings into the Police Department’s handling of recent protests against police brutality and racism in the wake of the death of George Floyd.

Saying the protests had shaken New Yorkers’ belief in the Police Department, the attorney general, Letitia James, recommended that an independent panel — not the mayor — should appoint the police commissioner and oversee the hiring and firing of officers.

“It is impossible to deny that many New Yorkers have lost faith in law enforcement,” Ms. James said during a call with reporters to discuss her findings. “I believe we need to bridge the undeniable divide between police and the public.”

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/nyregion/letitia-james-nypd-reforms.html

5 replies, 1686 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply State Attorney General Calls for Stripping N.Y.P.D. Control From Mayor (Original post)
brooklynite Jul 8 OP
SoCalNative Jul 8 #1
The Magistrate Jul 8 #2
soothsayer Jul 8 #3
Red Mountain Jul 8 #4
Me. Jul 8 #5

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Wed Jul 8, 2020, 09:03 PM

1. Well

that will make for an interesting new season of Blue Bloods....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 8, 2020, 09:08 PM

2. Sounds Like A Good Idea, Sir

With regard to police, there must be a reckoning. Particularly in how they treat people exercise their First Amendment right of peaceable assembly.

"I don't see no riot here! Why you all in riot gear?"

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 8, 2020, 09:12 PM

3. I wonder how the reform efforts there are going?

Clock is ticking towards April 1

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 8, 2020, 09:12 PM

4. Good.

Who do they answer to?

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 8, 2020, 09:46 PM

5. Absolutely Agree

especially as the mayor is now slow walking reforms because police brass don't like them

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread