HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Immigration judges sue Tr...

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 02:59 PM

Immigration judges sue Trump administration alleging their free speech rights have been violated

Source: Texas Tribune

Hundreds of the country's immigration judges filed a lawsuit Wednesday alleging that the Trump administration is muzzling their right to free speech.

The lawsuit cites a 2020 policy enacted by the Justice Department’s Executive Office of Immigration Review that prohibits judges from speaking about policy or law, even in their personal capacities, and requires immigration judges to obtain prior permission before speaking on any other policy, according to the lawsuit, which was filed in a Virginia federal court by Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University on behalf of the National Association of Immigration Judges, a nationwide organization of more than 460 judges.

The policy violates the First and Fifth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, the judges argue, and the U.S. Supreme Court has previously held that “people do not surrender their free-speech rights when they accept government employment.”

The government can only prohibit speech if it can show that doing so outweighs an employee’s interest and the public’s interest in hearing what that person has to say.

Read more: https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/01/immigration-judges-sue-trump-administration-free-speech/

Article by Julián Aguilar.

6 replies, 2462 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Immigration judges sue Trump administration alleging their free speech rights have been violated (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jul 1 OP
Eliot Rosewater Jul 1 #1
elleng Jul 1 #2
awesomerwb1 Jul 1 #3
William Seger Jul 1 #4
Bernardo de La Paz Jul 1 #5
iluvtennis Jul 1 #6

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 03:04 PM

1. GOP is an enemy of the human race.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 03:15 PM

2. Good

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 03:25 PM

3. Wait what???

That's so bizarre. Every day it just gets worse or for sure weirder.

I hope dump doesn't use this an excuse to fire them and replace them with white supremacist judges.*

*I don't know if he can fire part or all or any of them.

Reply to this post

Response to awesomerwb1 (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 04:41 PM

4. Barr strikes again, I'd bet

The suit names the head of the Executive Office of Immigration Review, but I'd bet the direction came from Barr.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 04:41 PM

5. tRump required them to remove signs in their courts in multiple languages about washing & distance.n

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 05:06 PM

6. This is UNACCEPTABLE. Fingers crossed this lawsuit is a winner. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread