HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Mississippi flag: Gov. Re...

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 12:30 PM

Mississippi flag: Gov. Reeves to sign bill taking down state flag with ceremony at mansion

Source: Clarion-Ledger

Gov. Tate Reeves will sign a bill Tuesday at 5 p.m. that mandates the removal of the state flag Mississippi, according to a press release.

Mississippi is the only state whose flag contains the Confederate battle flag. Lawmakers adopted it nearly three decades after the Civil War.

Reeves had long refused to take a position on the flag, which the Legislature adopted in 1894. Nearly two-thirds of voters reaffirmed the flag in a 2001 referendum, and Reeves has repeatedly pointed to this referendum, saying only voters can decide to take the flag down.

Lawmakers voted Sunday to retire the state flag that contains the Confederate emblem.
He softened the stance a week ago, then announced on Saturday morning that the issue had grown too divisive and that he would sign whatever flag bill lawmakers passed.

Read more: https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2020/06/30/mississippi-state-flag-gov-reeves-signs-bill-mandates-confederate-flag-removal/3279251001/

9 replies, 627 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mississippi flag: Gov. Reeves to sign bill taking down state flag with ceremony at mansion (Original post)
brooklynite Jun 30 OP
Botany Jun 30 #1
Aristus Jun 30 #4
Maeve Jun 30 #2
NurseJackie Jun 30 #3
cab67 Jun 30 #5
NurseJackie Jun 30 #6
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jun 30 #7
dalton99a Jun 30 #8
Progressive Jones Jun 30 #9

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 12:47 PM

1. Wasn't this already done 155 years ago?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Botany (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 03:47 PM

4. Whoever hand-tinted that illustration did a shitty job.

He evidently thought: "Eh, the boots are already black. Why bother?"

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 01:06 PM

2. So what design will the new flag use?

There was one from 2001, there is the "Hospitality flag" and there is the Bicentennial design--or will they choose a new one?

Reply to this post

Response to Maeve (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 02:45 PM

3. I like this design. But I'd read somewhere they want to include "IN GOD WE TRUST" on it...

I like this design. But I'd read somewhere they want to include "IN GOD WE TRUST" on it... ugh.

Reply to this post

Response to NurseJackie (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 04:14 PM

5. Does the number of stars signify anything?

Just curious.

I suspect it's related to Mississippi being the 20th state admitted to the union, but I could be wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to cab67 (Reply #5)

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 05:01 PM

6. That's correct. -- On December 10, 1817, Mississippi became the 20th state admitted to the Union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi

On December 10, 1817, Mississippi became the 20th state admitted to the Union. By 1860, Mississippi was the nation's top cotton producing state and enslaved persons accounted for 55% of the state population.[5] Mississippi declared its secession from the Union on March 23, 1861, and was one of the seven original Confederate States. Following the Civil War, it was restored to the Union on February 23, 1870.[6]

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 07:55 PM

7. Long overdue

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 11:37 PM

9. There's bound to be a lot of mush-mouthed moaning over this. nt

Reply to this post