HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Bubba Wallace responds to...

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 10:48 AM

Bubba Wallace responds to FBI findings: 'Whether tied in 2019, or whatever, it was a noose'

Source: CNN

NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace says he's "pissed" members of the public are now questioning his integrity after the FBI said a noose found in his garage stall this week was there before his team moved in.

"I'm mad because people are trying to test my character and the person that I am and my integrity," he told CNN's Don Lemon Tuesday night.

NASCAR said it launched an investigation after a crew member discovered the noose Sunday afternoon at the Talladega Superspeedway. In a statement earlier this week, NASCAR said it was "angry and outraged."

The FBI said Tuesday the noose had been in the garage since last year and Wallace was therefore not a victim of a hate crime. NASCAR, mentioning the FBI report, described the item as a "garage door pull rope fashioned like a noose."

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/bubba-wallace-response-fbi-hate-crime-investigation/index.html

49 replies, 2690 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 49 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bubba Wallace responds to FBI findings: 'Whether tied in 2019, or whatever, it was a noose' (Original post)
alp227 Jun 24 OP
empedocles Jun 24 #1
ScratchCat Jun 24 #2
Sapient Donkey Jun 24 #39
RockRaven Jun 24 #3
ScratchCat Jun 24 #14
ManiacJoe Jun 24 #49
janterry Jun 24 #4
nsd Jun 24 #5
cstanleytech Jun 24 #6
George II Jun 24 #8
JonLP24 Jun 24 #17
Igel Jun 24 #31
stillcool Jun 24 #37
George II Jun 24 #7
Calista241 Jun 24 #10
George II Jun 24 #16
Calista241 Jun 24 #24
WinstonSmith4740 Jun 24 #18
cannabis_flower Jun 24 #36
WinstonSmith4740 Jun 24 #40
Thomas Hurt Jun 24 #9
Post removed Jun 24 #11
WinstonSmith4740 Jun 24 #19
Devil Child Jun 24 #20
WinstonSmith4740 Jun 24 #32
Devil Child Jun 24 #33
stillcool Jun 24 #38
Sapient Donkey Jun 24 #41
ProfessorGAC Jun 24 #48
left-of-center2012 Jun 24 #12
ScratchCat Jun 24 #15
greenjar_01 Jun 24 #13
marie999 Jun 24 #21
left-of-center2012 Jun 24 #23
marie999 Jun 24 #26
left-of-center2012 Jun 24 #27
greenjar_01 Jun 24 #28
marie999 Jun 24 #30
Dr. Strange Jun 24 #35
marie999 Jun 24 #42
Sneederbunk Jun 24 #22
left-of-center2012 Jun 24 #25
gibraltar72 Jun 24 #29
Igel Jun 24 #45
jaxexpat Jun 24 #34
NickB79 Jun 24 #43
MosheFeingold Jun 24 #46
DeminPennswoods Jun 24 #44
Steelrolled Jun 24 #47

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 10:54 AM

1. The standard immediate media coverage smelled bad. Sounded like a directed, clumsy, excuse.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 10:54 AM

2. Wallace wasn't the one who reported it

So nobody should question his character.

But I'd like to know who reported it and why they wouldn't show us a picture.

Reply to this post

Response to ScratchCat (Reply #2)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:47 PM

39. The idiot internet doesn't care if he reported it himself or not

They are attacking him for it even after they are informed it wasn't him reporting it.

But yeah, I agree about who actually reported it and if they gave any thought of it to not being a noose.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 10:55 AM

3. Those findings kind of make it worse. It's a broader indictment of NASCAR culture...

How many people saw that dangling rope fashioned into a noose over the past 3/4 of a year and said to themselves "that's fine" or similar?

Reply to this post

Response to RockRaven (Reply #3)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:11 AM

14. It probably isn't really fashioned into a noose

I think someone just took it the wrong way. Without a picture, its hard to say. I have seen many times draw cords on blinds tied/shortened in a way that they resemble a "noose". I suspect this is all that happened here and someone overreacted.

Reply to this post

Response to ScratchCat (Reply #14)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 05:19 PM

49. The pictures do show it as a noose.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 10:56 AM

4. a garage door pull rope??

jeepers.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 10:56 AM

5. I don't get why he's being defensive.

It was an honest mistake. If I were him, I'd say two things: (1) I'm glad this wasn't a hate crime and (2) I am thankful for the strong support of my colleagues when we worried that it was. It's a win-win for everybody.

Reply to this post

Response to nsd (Reply #5)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 10:57 AM

6. Agreed. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 10:59 AM

8. He's being berated on social media.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:15 AM

17. It seems he is responding to critics that are treating it as a hoax rather than a honest mistake

He couldn't have known and whoever put the rope like that couldn't of known Wallace would use the garage so he didn't fake it but probably misunderstood what he saw.

Reply to this post

Response to JonLP24 (Reply #17)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:02 PM

31. "It was a mistake"

is such a weak excuse for a mistake.

Best to either accuse those saying you did something wrong of malice or claim that it wasn't a mistake and those saying it was are displaying malice.

Healing through victory.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:39 PM

37. because people are blaming him...

and he had nothing to do with it. An honest mistake made by who? And why? Who reported it to the media?

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 10:58 AM

7. If it was a garage pull rope why aren't there any in other garages? This is all so suspicious.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #7)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:09 AM

10. It was in all the garages. It was a knot tied at the end of the rope so people could pull down

the door. There are a bunch of different knots that would outwardly look like a noose, but are really just knots designed to form a loop at the end of rope.

Wallace was in garage number 4, but the photo I saw included the same knot on the door in garage number 5.

Reply to this post

Response to Calista241 (Reply #10)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:13 AM

16. Correct. There are pull ropes in all garages (I have one in mine, with a plastic handle)....

...but only one was tied in a way that it looked like a noose. Knots are knots, nooses are nooses.

Where was that picture you mentioned, would like to see what it looks like. Last night CNN had a short, dark, fuzzy video of the one in Wallace's garage, but what's really surprising is that there have been very few if any photos of the garages since this incident.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #7)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:17 AM

18. I just saw a picture of that thing.

Whether or not the purpose was to be a garage door pull is irrelevant. It was fashioned as a noose which (I think) is a reflection of the atmosphere & mindset that was allowed to permeate NASCAR for a long time. I'm thankful they finally rejected the confederate flag, but that rag has been a focal point for years at NASCAR. And basically, they had to be told to do it.

Reply to this post

Response to WinstonSmith4740 (Reply #18)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:33 PM

36. Personally

I would find it a lot easier to pull the garage door down with the noose-like pull on the left than the straight rope on the right. Maybe the person just had a problem with grip strength and tied it for convenience.

Reply to this post

Response to cannabis_flower (Reply #36)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:49 PM

40. I've never tied a noose.

But I have put a knot on the end of a rope...I'm pretty sure it's easier than tying a noose.

I'm getting some pushback on this, which is fine...we encourage differences of opinions, and people have the absolute right to them. But this thing was no accident, and it sure as hell wasn't tied that way for convenience. If it's been there for a while, obviously it wasn't meant directly for Bubba. But NASCAR has been flying that flag for years...race weekends were a sea of stars and bars. The entire culture was seeped in glorifying the confederacy, and that is going to be reflected in the day to day operations and attitudes of the people who work there

Let's also try a little reverse engineering here, and see what we can kick up. That thing was hanging there for a while, so it stands to reason that operations people knew about it. There very easily could be, but I haven't heard of any other "pulls" being fashioned that way. Any particular reason Bubba was assigned to that particular garage?

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:03 AM

9. still don't know what actually happened here...

if someone is sending racist lynching message you go with a heavy rope and hangman loop?

Did they just walk in the garage stall and see the door pull loop and and go "look a racist statement, it's a noose"?

Did they cut the pull from the door and display it like a hangman noose?....what gives. This smells.

Reply to this post

Response to Post removed (Reply #11)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:20 AM

19. Regardless of purpose.

That pull was fashioned to look like a noose. I've seen lots of garage door pulls in my life...none of them looked like that. It would have been a lot easier and quicker to just put a knot at the end of that rope. It doesn't matter when it was done...it was purposeful. And in the south, a noose has one meaning.

Reply to this post

Response to WinstonSmith4740 (Reply #19)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:24 AM

20. You're right, it doesn't matter to folks like you or Bubba

You see the meaning you want to.

Reply to this post

Response to Devil Child (Reply #20)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:05 PM

32. And you don't?

n/t

Reply to this post

Response to WinstonSmith4740 (Reply #32)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:18 PM

33. Hardly

I’ll at least take ownership of it. Bubba seems to show difficulty in doing so.

Reply to this post

Response to Devil Child (Reply #33)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:42 PM

38. why would he take ownership?

He had nothing to do with it. Seems like whoever did, and reported it to the media has succeeded. Seeing as how you're blaming the black guy.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 01:02 PM

41. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this

I can see how it could have easily been a situation where someone on his team saw the rope, jumped to conclusions, cut the rope, and showed him what they found hanging in his garage. In hindsight, he probably should have asked more questions about if it was like that before or not. But, hindsight is 20/20. Maybe that isn't how it happened, but it's very possible, and I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt if there is no evidence to suggest that I shouldn't.

That being said, I don't see any reason to continue to try to make it out as if the rope being tied in that loop is still evidence of "something" (whatever that something might be) I'm not even 100% certain it's actually tied in a way to look like a noose. I saw a photo that makes he think it's some other type of knot. I wouldn't mind seeing a clear photo of the actual loop they cut off.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 03:38 PM

48. You Do Know He Didn't See It, Right?

It was only yesterday that he saw the FBI photos.
So, he didn't interpret anything.
He was told it was a noose.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:10 AM

12. The FBI said Tuesday ...

“The noose had been in the garage since last year and Wallace was therefore not a victim of a hate crime ...
(as) nobody could have known Mr. Wallace would be assigned to garage number 4 last week," the agency said.

NASCAR, mentioning the FBI report, described the item as a "garage door pull rope fashioned like a noose."

Reply to this post

Response to left-of-center2012 (Reply #12)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:13 AM

15. Oh, jeez

So that's the "noose"?

Its obviously a door pull. For the love of god.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:11 AM

13. Oooof

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:28 AM

21. Where is this a photo of this "noose" and what do they mean

"garage door pull fashioned like a noose."? Also, it was hung last year, was that where he garaged his car?

Reply to this post

Response to marie999 (Reply #21)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:31 AM

23. The FBI said Tuesday ...

“The noose had been in the garage since last year and Wallace was therefore not a victim of a hate crime ...
(as) nobody could have known Mr. Wallace would be assigned to garage number 4 last week," the agency said.

NASCAR, mentioning the FBI report, described the item as a "garage door pull rope fashioned like a noose."

Reply to this post

Response to left-of-center2012 (Reply #23)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:40 AM

26. That is definitely a noose. nt

Reply to this post

Response to marie999 (Reply #26)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:43 AM

27. Used to open a garage door ...

Used to open a garage door since last year.

Reply to this post

Response to left-of-center2012 (Reply #27)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:44 AM

28. I'd guess it was used to close the door...

Reply to this post

Response to greenjar_01 (Reply #28)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:01 PM

30. When someone's neck is in it. nt

Reply to this post

Response to marie999 (Reply #30)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:27 PM

35. Whose neck?

Who has a head small enough to fit through this noose?

Reply to this post

Response to Dr. Strange (Reply #35)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 01:07 PM

42. The noose is made to slip up or down.

First, they slip it up to fit over the head and then down so the knot is against the left ear. Raising the noose slowly if you want the person to suffocate or use a chair or desk to put them on and then kick it away. The longer the fall, the better the chance of breaking the neck.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:29 AM

22. When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:33 AM

25. FBI report, described the item as a "garage door pull rope fashioned like a noose."

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:50 AM

29. I am glad it wasn't recent that being said

I'm sure that Bubba has been threatened. His transporter crew got there after passing thousands of Confederate flags. That garage probably hadn't been opened since the fall race last year. Crew took notice and notified NASCAR. Out of an abundance of caution they acted. My bet that one had been replaced those things break. I'm betting it was different than the others. Yeah I have a pull rope on my pole barn doors. They don't look like a noose though. I don't know how anyone blames Bubba. He never said he saw the noose. The transporter team arrives long before the actual race team does in most cases.

Reply to this post

Response to gibraltar72 (Reply #29)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 02:47 PM

45. "Integrity" is a funny word.

Usually I take it to mean what Google happens to say, "the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles". I'd add that this doesn't involve perfection or absolutes--one can have the quality of being honest and having a strong moral principle and also still be seen on occasion fall from the bandwagon, to so speak.

It's the habit and general tenor of one's life that matters more than any individual instance--unless the instance is taken as a symbol of the rest, or it's just one more instance in a long string.

"Sorry. Made a mistake." That's usually enough to patch over things. Integrity unharmed, but there's a note saying that if it happens again in the next 6 months probation might be in order. In fact, doubling down on dumb shows a worse lack of integrity--a kind of integrity fragility, an inability to discuss one's public errors without retreating into some terribly sensitive, brittle state.

Ahem.

It seriously doesn't help that for many the attitude is that if you're wrong you must have lied. We've removed simple mistakes from the universe of things that exist--all error is intentional and must be both discovered and punished. And I thought my old fundamentalist church was judgmental and harsh. By comparison with some "progressives" they were libertines. I mean, if you did something wrong the fourth or fifth time in broad daylight so everybody could see the minister might ask you, in private, to please stop and if you were trying to live a godly life. Meanwhile the mabels were on the sidelines calling for the guillotine as the first step, then you ask for public humiliation and repentance, and kept in their place. It's been said that love buries a multitude of sins; mabels want to bury a multitude of sinners.

So I see why he'd be defensive. Every group has its mabels.

And why it took 3 days to issue a statement. They're telling somebody who found a noose that they were wrong in their accusations of a hate crime. It's always dangerous to tell mabels that they're wrong. Nobody likes being told that their gods are in error when there's a revival meeting going on.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 12:27 PM

34. It is always good sense to stay off the band wagon,

refuse participation in the parade, walk away from the impassioned crowd, dismiss the flag wavers and avoid the controversial. Without good sense we will sometimes see mistakes made, even in the best of efforts or the most honorable of causes.
The only sure cure is integrity with humility, honesty. Then you can do, or undo, pretty much whatever you want.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 02:24 PM

43. Think of all the people who walked by that "pull cord" in the past year

And not a single one thought "that looks disturbingly like a noose, maybe we should swap it out with something else."

Only when black man sees it does someone make the connection to what should be blatantly obvious.

That's white privilege.

Reply to this post

Response to NickB79 (Reply #43)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 03:17 PM

46. Let's hope they don't get on a boat

Given that the "noose" was a bowline knot and commonly used to moor boats to docks.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 02:35 PM

44. What's important here is the response of support

from both NASCAR and Petty. That might not have happened a year ago.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 03:34 PM

47. Theater of the absurd.

Take a look at a chart of Boy Scout "hitch" knots (or maybe don't).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread