HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Protests in Australia, Ja...

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 04:55 AM

Protests in Australia, Japan embrace 'Black Lives Matter' movement

Source: Reuters

JUNE 6, 2020 / 2:36 AM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO

Lidia Kelly
3 MIN READ

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Thousands took to the streets in Australia on Saturday, and hundreds did in Japan, to support protests across the United States against police brutality, while demonstrations were expected in South Korea with a virtual rally in Thailand.

The rolling, global protests reflect rising anger over police treatment of ethnic minorities, sparked by the May 25 killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis after a police officer detaining him knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes as fellow officers stood by.

Demonstrations, however, were limited by social-distancing curbs aiming at stopping the novel coronavirus pandemic.

In the United States on Friday, prominent Democratic politicians adopted the slogans of the protests and announced reforms, as tensions remained high in major cities after days of largely peaceful protests that saw sporadic violence.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minneapolis-police-protests-global/protests-in-australia-japan-embrace-black-lives-matter-movement-idUSKBN23D0BO

4 replies, 780 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Protests in Australia, Japan embrace 'Black Lives Matter' movement (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jun 6 OP
Cha Jun 6 #1
Thyla Jun 6 #2
stillcool Jun 6 #3
Judi Lynn Jun 6 #4

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 05:22 AM

1. KR!! TY!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 07:25 AM

2. Here is the live blog...

...from Australia's ABC. It is finished for the day but you can scroll down to follow he days events.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-06/george-floyd-protests-us-live-updates/12327484

And another article which is a pretty good round up of what went on around the nation.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-06/black-lives-matter-rallies-held-across-australia/12325442

Reply to this post

Response to Thyla (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 09:08 PM

3. wow..blows me away...

I can't quite grasp the global protests. I don't think I've seen anything like this.

?v=2

Reply to this post

Response to Thyla (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 11:06 PM

4. Thank you, so much, for the welcome news there is more movement now toward the First Australians,

who appear to have been treated just as viciously, as hatefully as were the First Americans both by the European invaders, and wrote their own fanciful histories celebrating their own heroic deeds, and praising themselves.

If only they keep the commitment now! It's so important, just as it is here, and may all those who dare to insanely look down on them all drop dead, the sooner the better.

Sharing the ABC link was a real gift. It will be great to check from now onward. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread