HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » China's next-generation s...

Thu May 7, 2020, 10:49 PM

China's next-generation space capsule aces orbital maneuvers during test flight

Source: Space.com

By Tariq Malik, 2 hours ago

The uncrewed space capsule launched on China's first Long March 5B rocket Tuesday (May 5). The rocket is an upgraded version of China's heavy-lift Long March 5 and will be used to launch modules for China's planned space station, officials with the China National Space Administration (CNSA) have said. As of Thursday (May 7), the new space capsule had completed six of seven maneuvers to adjust its orbit, according to state media reports.

"So far, our spacecraft has been in very good condition," Dang Rong, a member of the mission's flight control expert group at the China Academy of Space Technology, said in a CCTV video. "Later, we are actually looking at the test of the return technology."

The solar-powered space capsule, which apparently does not yet have an official name, is the successor to China's Shenzhou space capsule, which has launched all six of the country's crewed spaceflights. Those missions began with the launch of astronaut Yang Liwei on the Shenzhou 5 in October 2003 and culminated with the October 2016 launch of two astronauts on the Shenzhou 11 flight to the country's Tiangong-2 space laboratory. Tiangong-2 fell to Earth in 2019 in a planned deorbit maneuver that dumped the spacecraft into the Pacific Ocean.

China's new crew capsule is expected to be the country's go-to spacecraft for future astronaut flights to a planned space station, and could eventually make deep-space missions to the moon. The spacecraft can carry up to seven astronauts and has been likened to a "space bus" with reusable "multi-mission" components, according to a translated description from the China Academy of Space Technology.

Read more: https://www.space.com/china-new-space-capsule-test-flight-going-well.html?utm_source=notification

As a space nerd, I applaud this. But let's not forget that China is quickly and steadily advancing its program because it's a totalitarian country, with the ruling Communist Party not having to worry about public opinion over funding, and the engineers not having to worry about a change of administration resulting in the cancellation of the previous regimes's plan.

But I still applaud it. I just wish it were us advancing the boundaries of human spaceflight. Sadly, we abandoned that lofty position long ago, and I cannot bring myself to root against those still pursuing this goal.

3 replies, 954 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply China's next-generation space capsule aces orbital maneuvers during test flight (Original post)
Harry Walpurgisnacht May 2020 OP
Igel May 2020 #1
LudwigPastorius May 2020 #2
Lock him up. May 2020 #3

Response to Harry Walpurgisnacht (Original post)

Thu May 7, 2020, 10:59 PM

1. They also have not just the spine to commit the funding, but the funding itself.

Because we like cheap(er) Chinese labor and the outsourcing of our pollution to produce fairly cheap things that we like to buy.

And, in some cases, less cheap things. The iPhone fetish, for instance.

We fund their nationalist views and help them oppress Muslims, Tibetans, harass others, all for the greater good of the Middle Kingdom and their aspirations to reclaim past imperialist glory.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Harry Walpurgisnacht (Original post)

Thu May 7, 2020, 11:35 PM

2. I, for one, welcome our Chinese overlords.

All empires come to an end. I just didn't think the United States would be driven into the ground so rapidly and with such force.

Reply to this post

Response to LudwigPastorius (Reply #2)

Fri May 8, 2020, 01:16 AM

3. All started with raygun because of... lie, cheat, and...

gReed, lots and lots and lots of personal GRRRRRRRReed.

Anything for poweR.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread