HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Coronavirus: northern Ita...

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 11:15 AM

Coronavirus: northern Italian towns close schools and businesses

Source: The Guardian

A dozen towns in northern Italy effectively went into lockdown on Saturday after deaths of two people infected with the coronavirus from China, and a growing cluster of cases with no direct links to the origin of the outbreak abroad.

The secondary contagions prompted authorities in some Lombardy and Veneto towns to close schools, businesses and restaurants, and to cancel sporting events and religious services. The mayor of Milan, Italy’s business capital and the regional capital of Lombardy, shuttered public offices.

A 78-year-old man infected with the coronavirus died in Veneto, and a postmortem test performed on a 77-year-old woman in Lombardy came back positive, although it wasn’t clear if illness from the virus caused her death.

Hundreds of residents and workers who had come into contact with people who tested positive were put into isolation pending results of their tests. Civil protection crews set up a tent camp outside a closed hospital in Veneto to screen medical staff.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/23/coronavirus-northern-italian-towns-close-schools-and-businesses

6 replies, 1137 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Recursion (Original post)

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 11:35 AM

1. The virus is spreading . . .

Obviously there is no antidote for it and it seems like it must take it's course, that is what China is hinting too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Iliyah (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 12:00 PM

2. It was never going to be contained. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 12:10 PM

3. This is the area where they brought in these Chinese workers to sew clothes so they

Can put made in Italy labels. A Chinese company town. So this doesn’t surprise me.

But I worry that this will lead to increased racism against Asians. There’s a lot there now with the African migrants.

Reply to this post

Response to kimbutgar (Reply #3)

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 03:28 PM

4. That explains the glimpse of a news story I saw about coronaviruses and wedding gowns yesterday

Even with costs of travel, room and board for the workers, I guess they're paid so little they can still turn enough of a profit...

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 07:38 PM

5. UPDATE: The Italian Ministry of Education banned all school trips (domestic and Intl) today...

My school in Rome had to cancel planned trips where students were already at the airport.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 10:45 PM

6. trump would love it to get here with ebola so they can declare an emergency, 'postpone' the election

and close the border

in those scenarios 1500 coordinated lying radio stations get louder and louder and can do the rest to get him reelected

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread