HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » AP Exclusive: DEA agent a...

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 01:39 AM

AP Exclusive: DEA agent accused of conspiring with cartel

Source: AP

By JOSHUA GOODMAN and JIM MUSTIAN

MIAMI (AP) — A once-standout U.S. federal narcotics agent known for spending lavishly on luxury cars and Tiffany jewelry has been arrested on charges of conspiring to launder money with the same Colombian drug cartel he was supposed to be fighting.

Jose Irizarry and his wife were arrested Friday at their home near San Juan, Puerto Rico, as part of a 19-count federal indictment that accused the 46-year-old Irizarry of “secretly using his position and his special access to information” to divert millions in drug proceeds from control of the Drug Enforcement Administration.

“It’s a black eye for the DEA to have one of its own engaged in such a high level of corruption,” said Mike Vigil, the DEA’s former Chief of International Operations. “He jeopardized investigations. He jeopardized other agents and he jeopardized informants.”

Federal prosecutors in Tampa, Florida, allege the conspiracy not only enriched Irizarry but benefited two unindicted co-conspirators, neither of whom is named in the indictment. One was employed as a Colombian public official while the other was described as the head of a drug trafficking and money laundering organization who became the godfather to the Irizarry couple’s children in 2015, when the DEA agent was posted to the Colombian resort city of Cartagena at the time.

FILE - This June 13, 2016 file photo shows Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents in Florida. On Friday, Feb. 21, 2020, the FBI arrested U.S. federal narcotics agent Jose Irizarry and his wife, Nathalia Gomez Irizarry, at their residence in Puerto Rico, according to a law enforcement official familiar with the arrest. He has been charged with conspiring to launder money with the very same Colombian drug cartels he was supposed to be fighting. (Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel via AP, File)

Read more: https://apnews.com/6c490312bef4c0600002c539d8c80cba

10 replies, 1321 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply AP Exclusive: DEA agent accused of conspiring with cartel (Original post)
Omaha Steve Feb 23 OP
Name removed Feb 23 #1
PSPS Feb 23 #2
Flaleftist Feb 23 #8
Kali Feb 23 #3
Boulevardier Feb 23 #4
Scarsdale Feb 23 #5
Rainbow Droid Feb 23 #7
Igel Feb 23 #9
paleotn Feb 23 #6
marble falls Feb 24 #10

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 01:49 AM

2. I suppose the "known for spending lavishly on luxury cars and Tiffany jewelry" might be a clue.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PSPS (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 03:45 PM

8. You would think so.

I would have expected the DEA to have a department that does nothing but examine the finances of its agents. There is too much money in the drug trade that can easily corrupt people. Apparently this guy got away with it for years and didn't even try to hide the fact that he was living well above his means.

It makes me wonder how common this sort of thing is. Maybe they are many more who are smart enough to squirrel away the money until retirement and then it's off to live in another country

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 02:36 AM

3. corruption?

who gives a shit? not a good portion of the country, that is for sure.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 03:17 AM

4. We should just end the drug war and abolish the DEA.

Then those guys can go out and try to make an honest living.

Reply to this post

Response to Boulevardier (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 08:56 AM

5. Corruption runs rampant

in the current administration. If the "boss" breaks every law, why should anyone else tow the line? tRump is a prime example of lawlessness. He violates the emoluments clause daily, his "kids" are draining the treasury with overseas trips for their business. The entire country is being "taken for a ride". Mnuchin is keeping all expense reports for the entire tRump family under wraps. He is fighting to keep them secret until after the election. That is a red flag to me, a warning that something is amiss in those reports. Why are we not entitled to see how tax money is squandered on these grifters? If he loses the election (PLEASE God) we will never see the reports, but the democratic president will have to tighten belts everywhere, to make up for the deficits. This is the best "job" any tRump has ever had, the easiest (taxpayer funded) living ever. We are being taken, big time.

Reply to this post

Response to Scarsdale (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 03:34 PM

7. Toe the line. Sorry but I've read "marshall law" on this forum one too many times and I snapped.

Reply to this post

Response to Scarsdale (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 06:37 PM

9. "2015"

It's not an unimportant detail.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 23, 2020, 10:56 AM

6. Happens....

There's lots of money to look the other way and more to become actively involved. A temptation some can't resist.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 24, 2020, 11:29 AM

10. Article makes me angry on so many levels.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread