HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Seattle Council Just Pass...

Fri Feb 14, 2020, 11:06 PM

Seattle Council Just Passed America's First Ban on Winter Evictions

Source: Huffington Post

02/14/2020 07:49 pm ET

The West Coast city is getting more active about preventing homelessness.

By Michael Hobbes

Seattle may become the first U.S. city to ban wintertime evictions, protecting residents from being thrown out of their homes into potentially deadly climates. Under legislation that passed the City Council this week, landlords will not be allowed to evict poor tenants from the beginning of December until the end of February, when Seattle temperatures can fall below freezing and the rain is relentless.

Though other U.S. cities restrict evictions based on weather patterns (Washington halts evictions if there’s more than a 50% chance of rain; Chicago bans them when temperatures fall below 15 degrees), only Paris bans landlords from ejecting tenants for a months-long period each year.

“What we will have achieved if this legislation is voted through is landmark legislation that has no precedent in the country and in fact very little precedence in the world,” Seattle City Councilmember Kshama Sawant, who proposed the legislation, said just before it passed with seven votes in favor and none against. “This is huge.”

The measure was proposed as a means to address Seattle’s unprecedented housing crisis. According to a 2017 study commissioned by the city, the majority of evicted Seattleites ended up homeless, with more than one-third sleeping outside following their ejection from housing. Evicted renters were also disproportionately female and non-white. Most of those evicted for falling behind on rent had missed a single month.

Read more: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/seattle-council-ban-winter-evictions-homeless_n_5e472fc4c5b64ba2974f9c2e

27 replies, 1251 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
Reply Seattle Council Just Passed America's First Ban on Winter Evictions (Original post)
Judi Lynn Friday OP
AJT Friday #1
PBC_Democrat Saturday #2
oldsoftie Saturday #4
Merlot Saturday #10
canuckledragger 23 hrs ago #13
PBC_Democrat 14 hrs ago #19
canuckledragger 14 hrs ago #20
Judi Lynn 6 hrs ago #22
canuckledragger 5 hrs ago #23
Judi Lynn 5 hrs ago #25
canuckledragger 5 hrs ago #26
EllieBC 16 hrs ago #17
canuckledragger 14 hrs ago #21
ck4829 Saturday #3
oldsoftie Saturday #5
Maxheader Saturday #6
PBC_Democrat Saturday #8
canuckledragger 18 hrs ago #14
EllieBC 16 hrs ago #16
canuckledragger 15 hrs ago #18
RandiFan1290 5 hrs ago #24
DENVERPOPS Saturday #9
oldsoftie Saturday #11
janterry Saturday #7
PBC_Democrat Saturday #12
canuckledragger 18 hrs ago #15
Delmoniko 4 hrs ago #27

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Fri Feb 14, 2020, 11:14 PM

1. I will say that if you own rental property in Seattle this bad news. It is a long and difficult

process to evict someone. Getting to the point of eviction means months of nonpayment of rent. If you've been a rental property owner this is a nightmare. There may be slum lords, but a lot of rental property owners are decent people who will really suffer from this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 06:44 AM

2. Did they also pass a Landlord Revenue Protection Act?

What happens to the property owner who is likely already missing several months rent and now has to wait until Mar 1st to get the property back?

Laws like this sound good, make people feel good, and make great bumper stickers - but they ignore the realities of the market and ultimately hurt the very people they want to protect.

In the short term:
Politicians can brag about protecting renters from the evil slumlords
Local TV will interview a vulnerable family that was able to postpone eviction.
The issue will fade from the forefront.

In the long term, the market will react by:
Increasing upfront rental costs
Re-acting faster to troubled renters (to avoid the the process going into the winter months)
Less leniency for late payers
Removing rental units from the market
More diligent reporting of evicted tenants (stigmatizing once-evicted tenants)

All leading to more housing issues in the long run ...
Which will require more laws
Which will cause the market to react again

Screwing over one group to protect another is bad policy.
Put programs in place to help people temporarily struggling with rent.
Help unemployed residents find jobs and/or job training
Encourage landowners to build more low-rent units
Create public-private partnerships to address the more complex issues

This a great policy on its face - but the quiet market response will be bad for low-income renters.

Reply to this post

Response to PBC_Democrat (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 08:25 AM

4. Its good to see this & the first response. Because its accurate.

Where I am, they wont do final evictions the 2 weeks leading up to Christmas. THIS law is ridiculous.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 10:33 AM

10. The real issue is homelessness, this does nothing to solve that.

People are saying how great it is that we now have parking lots for homeless people to park their cars at night because the lots have restrooms/facilities and are locked at night. So, yay, we've made it easier for people to live from their cars, yet have done absolutely nothing about why they are living in cars. More "feel good" solutions that do not address the issue of homelessness.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 16, 2020, 12:33 PM

13. Your greed is showing.

along with your complete disregard for the homeless and those barely able to make ends meet.

Reply to this post

Response to canuckledragger (Reply #13)

Sun Feb 16, 2020, 09:10 PM

19. My Greed?

My first responsibility is to provide, as best I can, for my family.

This problem will continue to grow until real-world solutions are put in place.

If the market value is $1500 a month, why on earth would I rent it for $1000 and deprive my family of that income?

It's not that I don't care about the homeless, it's that I care for my loved ones more.

Reply to this post

Response to PBC_Democrat (Reply #19)

Sun Feb 16, 2020, 09:44 PM

20. Yes, your greed.

This IS a real world solution, as it is immoral to put people out at the WORST time of year to pretty much die.

And you don't care about the homeless or your family, given how often you whine about money, your actions show that you care only about your own wallet.

You're very transparent.

Reply to this post

Response to canuckledragger (Reply #20)

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 05:58 AM

22. Thank goodness you posted in this thread. I saw the first few responses and didn't return until now.

I honestly can't control myself to write what I really feel to comments like theirs, as I am shaking so hard right now with anger I can't really handle a personal response myself.

Could not be more outraged at those attitudes. They are NOT in the spirit or character of true Democrats.

Anyone who pretends the two parties are simply the same isn't really bright or good, and thrives on the suffering of the helpless.

I have always thought your screen name is clever, and enjoyable, and now I see it's connected to a spiritually, psychologically attuned person of character. Thank you for speaking with wisdom for people who are paralyzed with impotent rage by exploitative opportunists. If they want to make money, save it one way or another like most people must. Don't profit from other people's need for shelter.

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Reply #22)

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 06:15 AM

23. Thanks.

The name says a few things. (And serves as a bit of a warning)

1, that I'm Canadian, and 2, not necessarily a polite one.

Coming from a narcissistic family of physically and verbally abusive alcoholics, I have little patience for greedy liars and their enablers, especially those that pretend to be something they're most definitely not.

And I WAS thrown out my home in the middle of winter when I was 18 by my alcoholic step-father, partly because he never wanted the responsibility in the first place, and once his legal obligation was up, out I was cast with no consequences to himself. That I literally had nowhere else to go didn't matter to him. He could just lie to himself and others as to the reason for doing it, but in reality it meant more money in his pocket for booze, simple as that. In other words, greed.

The greedy don't care about anyone but themselves. And don't hide it very well, regardless of language used.

Reply to this post

Response to canuckledragger (Reply #23)

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 06:47 AM

25. It's glorious seeing bullies outed.

I hope at some point fate forces them to face how wildly wrong they are.

Very best wishes and thank you.

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Reply #25)

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 06:51 AM

26. You may have noticed...

That bullies ALWAYS pretend to be victims when confronted on their actions...something you may have noticed here already...

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 16, 2020, 08:00 PM

17. Oh you can bet this will cause rental prices to climb.

and more owners refusing to rent go anyone without excellent credit and references.

Reply to this post

Response to EllieBC (Reply #17)

Sun Feb 16, 2020, 09:45 PM

21. The sky is falling!

...as is the usual excuse you clowns give when a person's welfare is seen as less important than your wallet.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 08:18 AM

3. Much needed. K&R.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 08:28 AM

5. 2 yrs from now, I'd like to see the numbers of people behind on rent during "winter"

I'll guarantee you the numbers will be higher than they are now.
Because many will know they can get away with it. And since you cant evict till spring, the "owed" amounts will be in the thousands. Which the owners will get a judgement for, but never be able to collect.
So rent on everyone else will go up to cover it.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 08:49 AM

6. CHEETOX! MITCH THE BITCH? Pay attention...

Acts of kindness..Leaders leading, doing their jobs..Looking out for those needing help..

Try it out sometime wingers...

Reply to this post

Response to Maxheader (Reply #6)

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 09:32 AM

8. Point by point reply follows

Acts of kindness.. Short-term kindness, more long-term problems - but thet will be someone else's problem

Leaders leading, doing their jobs.. leaders proposing simple solutions to complex problems

Looking out for those needing help.. anytime government favors one group, another group gets screwed over. In this case the people who use their money to build and maintain rental property. As soon as it becomes more trouble than it's worth and not profitable - they'll stop. When they stop building - housing supply drops, then the law of supply and demand dictates that constant, or increasing, demand with less supply = higher prices.

Then the very people you seek to protect, the most vulnerable, will in a worse place.

This is well-intentioned, but misguided lawmaking.

Reply to this post

Response to PBC_Democrat (Reply #8)

Sun Feb 16, 2020, 05:27 PM

14. Again...

Try not to let your greed and selfishness do your talking for you, or you'll expose yourself for EXACTLY what you are.

Reply to this post

Response to canuckledragger (Reply #14)

Sun Feb 16, 2020, 07:58 PM

16. Yes expecting people to not ignore

rental payments is greed? I guess if the landlords can’t be “greedy” and want their rent the tenants can not be greedy when they want upgrades.

Reply to this post

Response to EllieBC (Reply #16)

Sun Feb 16, 2020, 08:21 PM

18. That's not what I said at all.

So you can stop lying about that one.

Reply to this post

Response to canuckledragger (Reply #14)

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 06:21 AM

24. Thank you!

Last edited Mon Feb 17, 2020, 08:16 AM - Edit history (1)

Reply to this post

Response to Maxheader (Reply #6)

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 10:24 AM

9. I always try

to do something for those who need a leg up. Especially those who are already trying, or got in a bad position through no fault of their own.

If by some miracle, Trump should lose the election, everyone stand back and watch what happens if they even think about try to evict lard ass from his throne in the white house......

He gets to say there three months after the election. So even if he loses, do you think that he and the Republicans won't trash the place as sour grapes for the next occupant? Does the white house have a fire sprinkler system??????

I think things could get really really really really dicey the night of November 3rd and on November 4th.....And then, of course, everyday after. I think it laughable if anyone thinks that he will accept losing.......BARR/DOJ will declare the election corrupt and un-certify the election until they investigate it fully. Investigations of that could take years......in the meantime, Trump remains in the Presidency and the White house. Even if Republicans lose the senate, those elections would also be decertified.

Instead of "beware the Ides of March", I would worry a lot more about November 3rd and on...........

Reply to this post

Response to DENVERPOPS (Reply #9)

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 10:47 AM

11. Thats why his defeat needs to be by a large margin. Harder to claim "stolen"

If its a 1.5% victory for "X", trump & his minions will simply pull out the "million illegals, dead people, voted more than once" nonsense.
It needs to be not only a good electoral college victory, but a good total vote victory

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 08:59 AM

7. maybe they should increase help and subsidies

so that they can pay the rent.

I've thought about converting my house into a rental - especially when my daughter goes to college. But I worry that I will lose money because of problems with renters.

Our town needs more rental units, but I think it will be more headache than it's worth.

Reply to this post

Response to janterry (Reply #7)

Sat Feb 15, 2020, 04:02 PM

12. I totally agree with you ...

Every community should have temporary need-based assistance.
We need to be able to help people without tipping the economic scale.

I have relatives that have rental property and they all have horror stories of losing thousands of $$$ due to non-payment, damages, and legal costs.

Once the tenant falls behind they know they have lost their up-front money and quit giving a damn. They know how long the process takes and usually move out a week or two before the deputies show up.

Once they're in that condition, they are typically judgement proof.

The landlord is out two months rent before the eviction is filed, three months while the process unfolds, then another month or two to repair the place and
find a new tenant.

All told - five or so months rent (offset if upfront money included last month's rent) and $1000 or so in legal fees and time consumed, then carpet, paint, wall repair.

They have started collecting larger deposits and checking credit scores along with an informal landlords network.

The result is that it is more difficult for marginal (low-income) people to rent a place and get established.

Reply to this post

Response to PBC_Democrat (Reply #12)

Sun Feb 16, 2020, 05:29 PM

15. Proof please.

You've made a LOT of claims without a shred of evidence, trying to push your own selfishness on others.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 07:44 AM

27. it's a two way street.

Of course, tenants try hiding pets, which are either prohibited or allowed after a deposit is paid. Or say they have a Chihuahua when they really have 3 Great Danes.

Tenants break things and make it worse by trying to fix it instead of reporting it.

Tenants move people in that are not on the lease and forget to ask the landlord if they can be added.

Tenants don't keep up with yard work and park their trucks on the lawn.

They turned the garage into a chop shop and the police called after the raid saying your property has been confiscated.

Their kids draw on the walls and flush toys down the toilet.

Tenants pay the rent late and fail to answer when called.

When they move out, they leave piles of trash but take all the fixtures. They've painted every room turquoise except the kitchen that's now hot pink.

Then they ask for their deposit back like nothing wrong had been done and threaten to take you to court. and on and on

You see, it's a two way street. but tenants take advantage on landlords all the time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread