HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » White House says U.S. has...

Sun Jan 12, 2020, 11:25 PM

White House says U.S. has asked North Korea to resume talks

Source: Reuters

JANUARY 12, 2020 / 9:04 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House national security adviser Robert O’Brien said the United States had reached out to North Korea seeking to resume talks, according to an interview published on Sunday by Axios.

O’Brien also said it was a “positive” sign that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had not delivered on a warning of a “Christmas gift.” Some analysts had said that might be a sign Pyongyang was preparing a long-range missile test, while U.S. President Donald Trump said last month the gift “might be a beautiful vase.”

“We’ve reached out to the North Koreans and let them know that we would like to continue the negotiations in Stockholm that were last undertaken in early October,” O’Brien told the online news site on Friday. “We’ve been letting them know, through various channels, that we would like to get those back on track.”

A spokesman for the National Security Council did not immediately comment on Sunday.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-north-korea-missiles-trump/white-house-says-u-s-has-asked-north-korea-to-resume-talks-axios-idUSKBN1ZC00P

Obsequity to a little shit like Kim, whose missiles have trouble hitting the Pacific Ocean. This is what "Big Man" Donnie has lowered us to!

12 replies, 919 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply White House says U.S. has asked North Korea to resume talks (Original post)
Southern Blueneck Jan 12 OP
dweller Jan 12 #1
SunSeeker Jan 12 #2
safeinOhio Jan 13 #3
lunasun Jan 13 #4
SummerSnow Jan 13 #5
TeamPooka Jan 13 #6
NCProgressive Jan 13 #7
keithbvadu2 Jan 13 #8
KY_EnviroGuy Jan 13 #9
hibbing Jan 13 #10
MissMillie Jan 13 #11
soryang Jan 13 #12

Response to Southern Blueneck (Original post)

Sun Jan 12, 2020, 11:36 PM

1. Dear Dotard

It's not you ... it's me ...

oh wait, it is you,

xx
Kim J

✌🏼

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jan 12, 2020, 11:59 PM

2. Pathetic. Groveling before a murderous dictator.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 12:01 AM

3. Any chance of him reaching out

to Iran to start negotiations?

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 12:16 AM

4. Trump can't quit Kim

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 12:28 AM

5. translation: Please be quiet Kim, you make me look weak.

I have to make my base think I have you under control, so play fair.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 02:19 AM

6. In Kim's view, Trump just blinked.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 09:16 AM

7. Kim Jong Un is playing the dotard as a fiddle

Every step of the way, NK gets what it wants and dotard comes back with nothing but his penis in his hand

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 09:24 AM

8. Will master negotiator run away from Stockholm like he did from their meeting in VN?

Will master negotiator run away from Stockholm like he did from their meeting in VN?

Or does he just want to refuel near his golf course in Scotland?

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 09:48 AM

9. Allow me to make a wild prediction....

* tRump and his "negotiators" will make a big show of meetings and numerous announcements of progress toward a "deal", probably through the spring, perhaps even with another tRump/Kim summit and hug-fest.

* Behind the scenes, tRump will give in on sanctions and loosen the screws enough that Kim agrees to a another paper agreement to reduce missile and nuclear activity.

* Sometimes afterward, tRump will make an announcement of an earth-shattering agreement that will be the biggest deal ever. SK, Russia and perhaps even China will be conned into singing praise unto him.

* Roughly next fall, a huge show will be made of the whole affair......perfectly timed prior to the election.

KY.........

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 10:01 AM

10. Well, Valentine's Day is not that far off n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 11:37 AM

11. I'm sure it's not just me

But whenever I see "White House says" or "Trump says," my immediate response is "yeah.... right"

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 06:26 PM

12. This commentary cited in the WJLA report represents a wide consensus among experts

Last edited Mon Jan 13, 2020, 06:56 PM - Edit history (1)

According to Kelsey Davenport, the director of nonproliferation policy at the Arms Control Association, Trump's Iran policy has consistently sent the "wrong message" to North Korea.

"Trump's policy toward Iran likely underscores Pyongyang's belief that nuclear weapons are necessary for the security of the regime," Davenport said. Moreover, the president's decision to tear up the Iran nuclear deal sends the message to Kim Jong Un that he "needs to demand tangible concessions upfront because the United States cannot be trusted to follow through," she added.

The U.S. targeted killing of an Iranian official could complicate future negotiations with North Korea even further, Davenport warned. "It may cause Kim Jong Un to think twice about sending high-level diplomats or officials in his nuclear weapons program out of the country."

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/white-house-offer-to-resume-north-korea-nuclear-talks-complicated-by-iran-2020-election

This is a similar approach taken by Trump when Xi was having a meal with him in the US. At virtually the same time, US cruise missiles were fired into Syria. It's the mafia don approach from the NYC days.

The notion that North Korean missiles aren't accurate is probably little more than wishful thinking. Intelligence analysts in South Korea expressed concern that the shorter ranged tactical ballistic missiles fired this year by North Korea are probably similar in nature to the missiles fired just recently by Iran which appear to be very accurate. Also of concern was the observation that the Iranian missiles were not intercepted. The short range North Korean ballistic missiles which have a modified flattened trajectory and a variable terminal course makes detecting and tracking those missiles more difficult.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread