HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » World's worst measles epi...

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 08:14 PM

World's worst measles epidemic kills 6,000 people in Democratic Republic of Congo

Source: CNN:

Measles has killed more than 6,000 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the World Health Organization has said.

In a statement Tuesday, the organization called on international partners and agencies to increase resources to fight what it called the "world's worst measles epidemic."

Around 310,000 suspected measles cases have been reported in the DRC since last year and a shortage of funds remained a "huge impediment" to efforts to curb the outbreak, the WHO said.

The WHO said even though the agency and its international partners have vaccinated 18 million Congolese children under the age of 5 against the disease, routine immunization coverage is still low across the country. It said 25% of reported cases in the country occurred in children under 5, who are most vulnerable to the vaccine-preventable disease.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/08/health/measles-world-worst-epidemic-intl/index.html

Please stop the video, ... (starts automatically...please turn it off)

6 replies, 850 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply World's worst measles epidemic kills 6,000 people in Democratic Republic of Congo (Original post)
Stuart G Jan 9 OP
milestogo Jan 9 #1
emmaverybo Jan 9 #2
Southern Blueneck Jan 9 #3
Hekate Jan 9 #4
EllieBC Jan 9 #5
rusty quoin Jan 10 #6

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 08:36 PM

1. Its a devastating disease.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 08:43 PM

2. And some Americans worried we would have an Ebola epidemic. Far less infectious than measles.

This is a heartbreaking wipe-out for a country that has already gone through so much. Another
great decision Obama made was to send military aid to halt the spread of Ebola and deal with the
humanitarian crisis.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 09:23 PM

3. Jenny McCarthy

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 11:44 PM

4. Someone wade into FB and let us know how the anti-vaxxer groups are dealing with this info

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 11:53 PM

5. I've been banned from a bunch.

Likely theyíll be blaming the deaths on poor medical care or sanitation. Itís not the disease, ever. Measles is *fine* in their pea brains. Even though most of them were vaccinated.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 12:12 AM

6. What has happened to normal thinking? I have lived it all. I was of the vaccine generation

Of the 60s. They hurt, but you didnít get measles. That was normal to me. We trusted in government because of what FDR had started. And now itís the opposite.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread