HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Lebanon slaps travel ban ...

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 07:04 PM

Lebanon slaps travel ban on Carlos Ghosn

Source: CNN

By Ghazi Balkiz and Hanna Ziady,

Beirut/London (CNN Business)Lebanon has imposed a travel ban on fugitive former auto executive Carlos Ghosn one day after he briefed the world's media on why he fled Japan.

Lebanese prosecutor Ghassan Oueidat confirmed Thursday that a travel ban had been issued that will prevent the ex-Nissan boss from leaving the country.

Lebanon said on January 2 that it had received a "red notice" from international police organization Interpol confirming that Ghosn was wanted by police in Japan.

A red notice does not compel law enforcement authorities to arrest fugitives. Lebanon and Japan do not have an extradition treaty, and Lebanese officials have said Ghosn entered the country legally.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/09/business/carlos-ghosn-lebanon-travel-ban/index.html

2 replies, 502 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Lebanon slaps travel ban on Carlos Ghosn (Original post)
Omaha Steve Jan 9 OP
MosheFeingold Jan 9 #1
paleotn Jan 9 #2

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 07:08 PM

1. I don't understand this story.

Not the no-travel part.

The alleged underlying fraud.

Also, is it true that an accused is presumed guilty in Japan? If so, I see why someone would want to leave. Hardly fair to have to prove innocence.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MosheFeingold (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 07:25 PM

2. Japan's laws are different than ours...

but regardless, he was considered a flight risk for obvious reason.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread