HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Dow drops 400 points, big...

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 10:50 AM

Dow drops 400 points, biggest fall in 2 months, after Trump says he could wait on China deal

Source: CNBC

U.S. equities sank on Tuesday after President Donald Trump suggested he may want to delay a trade deal with China until after the 2020 presidential election.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell more than 400 points in morning trading, led lower by trade-vulnerable Apple, Caterpillar and 3M. The S&P 500 slid 1% amid losses in chip stocks like Nvidia, Micron and Advanced Micro Devices. The Nasdaq Composite also lost 1%.

Markets hit the lows of their day after Fox News reported that the White House still plans on moving ahead with scheduled Dec. 15 tariffs on Chinese goods notwithstanding recent efforts at a “phase one” trade truce.

“In some ways, I like the idea of waiting until after the election for the China deal, but they want to make a deal now and we will see whether or not the deal is going to be right,” Trump told reporters earlier on Tuesday. When asked if he had a deal deadline, he added: “I have no deadline, no ... In some ways, I think it is better to wait until after the election if you want to know the truth.”

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/03/stock-market-wall-street-in-focus-amid-south-america-trade-tariffs.html

18 replies, 1229 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dow drops 400 points, biggest fall in 2 months, after Trump says he could wait on China deal (Original post)
crazytown Tuesday OP
rzemanfl Tuesday #1
Mickju Tuesday #3
groundloop Tuesday #4
Bernardo de La Paz Tuesday #12
IronLionZion Tuesday #9
MelissaB Tuesday #10
jeffreyi Tuesday #17
Mike 03 Tuesday #2
bucolic_frolic Tuesday #5
duforsure Tuesday #6
PatSeg Tuesday #7
beachbumbob Tuesday #8
DENVERPOPS Tuesday #16
Wellstone ruled Tuesday #11
question everything Tuesday #13
Vinca Tuesday #14
titaniumsalute Tuesday #15
CountAllVotes Tuesday #18

Response to crazytown (Original post)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 10:55 AM

1. Manipulating the market for his rich pals again. The motherfucker. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rzemanfl (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 11:02 AM

3. Exactly!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 11:06 AM

4. I hope someone is figuring out who's profiting from these market swings

Dirty Donny has instigated large swings in the market with his remarks, some of which have turned out to be total fabrications. It's just not possible this is a total fluke.

Reply to this post

Response to groundloop (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 12:44 PM

12. Profits like 1.8 & 1.5 billion dollars. Vanity Fair & William Cohan on the case. Report on DU:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142382872

One windfall, in particular, triggered Twitter TWTR, -1.13% buzz. On June 28, a trader, or group of traders, snatched up 420,000 September e-minis, which amounted to about 40% of the total trading volume, shortly before the closing bell. Trump the following weekend emerged from a meeting with President Xi to say the trade talks were “back on track.” The market cheered the announcement and stocks rallied enough to apparently turn that trade into a $1.8 billion profit.

Nevertheless, Cohan says it’s time for action for authorities, starting with a look at this particular scenario: “In the last 10 minutes of trading on Friday, Aug. 23, as the markets were roiling in the face of more bad trade news, someone bought 386,000 September e-minis. Three days later, Trump lied about getting a call from China to restart the trade talks, and the S&P 500 index SPX, +0.29% shot up nearly 80 points. The potential profit on the trade was more than $1.5 billion.”

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 11:42 AM

9. One would think more people would catch on by now

he does it on purpose so his buddies can buy low. Whenever the market hits highs, they sell and take their profits. Then douchebag announces more tariffs or some trade war BS causing it to dip.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 12:12 PM

10. Exactly my thought when I read this.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:02 PM

17. I was just gonna say...

You beat me to it.
Diaper Donnie has done this a number of times.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 10:59 AM

2. And last night Kellyanne said a deal, "is totally up to China, it's up to China"...

and this morning Trump roared that a deal "is up to me, it's totally up to me." Idiots straight across the board.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 11:09 AM

5. Play those swing ETFs

YINN and YANG. Long YINN In the $14-15s, out at $21-24, when it's time to YANG, out YANG when YINN hits $15. Rinse and repeat.

Surely some Trump cronies have figured this out

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 11:09 AM

6. This is likely closer to the truth

China said F. Y to not do a deal with him to hurt him with it before the election , and get someone who they CAN work with and believe. This is just more trump propaganda , and not the truth, and to make him look good with claiming now he'd rather wait until after the election. Liar trump has China refusing anything to do with him knowing he won't keep any deal agreed to , and will then raise more excuses to use to demand more, and like he's done over and over again with his business deals. They know he's a con man and a fraud , and should never be trusted. Others should do the same with him, and demand someone else in his position openly.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 11:13 AM

7. He's done this sort of thing before

This wasn't just an off-the-cuff Tweet. Someone(s) is making a profit by selling short. The most corrupt president ever.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 11:18 AM

8. all about market manipulation and finding those who are getting advance notice to short

but alas, the SEC is pretty much worthless under the trump admin

Reply to this post

Response to beachbumbob (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 02:29 PM

16. Agree

so are others: EPA, FEC, USDA, DOJ, SCOTUS and many more.......

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 12:19 PM

11. Xi is not going to kiss Moscow Don's

fat ass period. China is not going to worry about these Tariff's,because they have already done work around's.

Interesting story about Pork buys in the amount of 25 billion over ten years. Well,several Chinese investment companies own the US largest Pork producer and processor. Duh,again the media pumps crap with a incomplete story.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 01:01 PM

13. Someone made a comment that Trump kinda enjoy causing the market moves

What a creep.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 01:43 PM

14. Tomorrow he'll change his tune and his cronies will make a bundle.

I swear I should try my hand at day trading while Trump is in office. It's so predictable.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 02:28 PM

15. What Trump really means

"I really fucked things up, we have no idea how to fix them, let's wait until after the election and I promise I'll fix it then."

Reply to this post

Response to titaniumsalute (Reply #15)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 07:26 PM

18. Exactly

Leave this fine mess to the next occupant of the Oval Office no doubt!

& recommend.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread