HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Four Impeachment Scholars...

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 05:33 PM

Four Impeachment Scholars to Open Judiciary Impeachment Hearing

Source: Bloomberg

By Billy House
December 2, 2019, 1:29 PM PST

Four experts on president impeachment will fill the witness table during the House Judiciary Committee’s opening hearing of historic proceedings to determine whether President Donald Trump should be impeached.

Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler is depicting Wednesday’s session as an opportunity to discuss the historical and constitutional basis of impeachment, and whether Trump’s alleged actions warrant pressing forward with possible articles of impeachment.

The expert witnesses announced Monday are: Noah Feldman from Harvard Law School; Pamela Karlan of Stanford Law School, Michael Gerhardt of the University of North Carolina School of Law; and Jonathan Turley of the George Washington University Law School.
Former President Trump Advisers Called To Testify Before House Judiciary Committee

Feldman, Karlan and Gerhardt are being called to testify by Democrats, while Turley was selected by the committee’s Republican members. Feldman is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist.

Read more: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-02/four-impeachment-scholars-to-open-judiciary-impeachment-hearing?utm_source=twitter&utm_content=politics&utm_medium=social&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-politics

17 replies, 1600 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to swag (Original post)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 05:36 PM

1. Turley for the Republicans is weird.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to choie (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 06:46 PM

10. You are correct, a red flag went on my head when I saw Turley's name on the list

He is a washy-washy. He seems to be one of those who may have chosen teaching because being a real lawyer was to conflicting, he doesn't seem to like conflict.

My bet is that he is going to be one who does not believe the con should be impeached.

Reply to this post

Response to swag (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 11:20 AM

15. Not wierd at all - I was pissed when I saw his name, before realizing he's a concession

to the GOP. He'll help them make fools of themselves.

I propose this Constitutional scholar should testify:

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 05:39 PM

2. Turley is a conservative.

But #TraitorTrump taking away Bloomberg News' credentials because one of their opinion writers is one the experts the DEMS invited to speak on Article 1 impeachment powers just tickles me to no end.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 05:44 PM

3. The Republicans called Turley?

I can't believe he's going to help them out much.

Reply to this post

Response to wryter2000 (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 06:29 PM

7. Couldn't hire a trained pony in time!

Gym Jordan was a dog act!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 06:33 PM

8. wasn't he all in

on butter emails?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 01:22 AM

13. Turley has become increasingly conservative.

Like Dershowitz, he went nuts during Obama's presidency.

Reply to this post

Response to SunSeeker (Reply #13)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 11:49 AM

16. I guess I missed that

I remember him on MSNBC. Maybe that was under Bush

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 05:47 PM

4. Sounds like a lot of latte drinking, endive eating elitists to me J/K

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 05:47 PM

5. Turley thought Clinton deserved Impeachment and Removal

while Trump does not ...What a Tool

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 06:35 PM

9. President Trump impeachment hearings go live on TV with first witnesses

President Trump impeachment hearings go live on TV with first witnesses
By
Felicia Sonmez,
John Wagner and
Brittany Shammas
Dec. 2, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. CST

House Republicans prepared a preemptive rebuttal Monday to Democratic allegations that President Trump abused his power and acted in contempt of Congress, arguing that the president did nothing wrong.

The release of the 123-page report came shortly after Democrats announced the four witnesses who will testify when the House Judiciary Committee holds its first hearing on impeachment Wednesday morning.

As he departed the White House earlier Monday en route to a NATO gathering in London, Trump sharply criticized Democrats for moving forward with impeachment proceedings while he plans to be out of the country.

A report by the House Intelligence Committee is expected to circulate among its members later Monday before Wednesday’s Judiciary hearing in which Trump’s lawyers have declined to participate.

More:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/impeachment-hearings-live-updates/2019/12/02/1ef96062-14f2-11ea-9110-3b34ce1d92b1_story.html

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 06:51 PM

11. Who's idea was it to invite Turley?

I don't get it...

Nadler is no Schiff, my bar is a bit lower for what is coming, I hope that I am highly impressed and very wrong.

I hope the Democrats are not doing what beginner golfers do, they get to the hole in zig-zags hitting three times the number of golf balls to PAR just to putt four to five times, and on a PAR4 walk with a score of 15.

Reply to this post

Response to Perseus (Reply #11)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 09:16 PM

12. The GOP, as was clearly noted in the article.

"while Turley was selected by the committee’s Republican members."

But, hey, don't waste an opportunity to question the motives of Democrats, instead.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightZone (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 01:58 AM

14. Nice retort. Thanks. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 06:32 AM

17. This is a very smart move! A civics lesson at the beginning...

... they're taking a page from Rachel Maddow's book by starting things off with a very clear presentation (lesson, discussion) that explains the constitution and what our nation's founders meant.

It's very wise to bring everyone up-to-speed on what's-what. A good and strong foundation helps to minimize confusion and to fight against misinformation. A solid base of knowledge will be invaluable when constructing the facts in a clear way for the American public to be able to digest.

These hearings (I believe) are MOSTLY for the American public, and this is a brilliant way of getting things moving.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread