HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Joe Sestak ends long-shot...

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 12:04 AM

Joe Sestak ends long-shot 2020 Democratic presidential campaign

Source: CNN

Washington (CNN)Former Pennsylvania Rep. Joe Sestak on Sunday ended his long-shot 2020 presidential bid after failing to gain traction in the race for the Democratic Party's nomination.

"I want to thank you for the honor of running for President of the United States of America," Sestak said in a statement. "It has been an endeavor filled with immeasurable wisdom, passions, humor and insights to, and from, the people of America."

Sestak, who mounted unsuccessful bids for US Senate in 2010 and 2016, entered an already-crowded Democratic primary field in June hoping to leverage his career in the US Navy into a successful campaign, but did not qualify for any of the major Democratic presidential debates.

"The hour has become late to restore US leadership to this liberal world order, but Iraq is our lesson to remember," Sestak said in a video announcing his campaign in June. "Democrats and Republicans alike who cast their votes for the tragic misadventure in Iraq showed little understanding that while militaries can stop a problem, they can never fix a problem."

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/01/politics/joe-sestak-2020-campaign/index.html

6 replies, 553 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Joe Sestak ends long-shot 2020 Democratic presidential campaign (Original post)
brooklynite Dec 2 OP
elleng Dec 2 #1
TexasTowelie Dec 2 #2
elleng Dec 2 #3
brooklynite Dec 2 #5
cstanleytech Dec 2 #4
Polybius Dec 2 #6

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 12:12 AM

1. Very gracious statement from Joe Biden on Sestak dropping out of the race, & Sestak's reply

'Congressman and former Admiral @JoeSestak has served his country bravely for decades. He ran his campaign with the same standards of strength and respect he has held his entire life. Thank you for your service.'

'Mr. Vice-President, thank you for your words. I appreciated the times you — and your wonderful wife, Jill — did events for me in my Senate race.

Your story then about the father you knew walking up the steps to tell his children he’d lost his job in the Great Recession has always remained with me.

The fear he felt that his children might see in him the same failure he held within himself at no longer being able to provide for their future has always stood in my mind as the mark of a true public servant who knows people and that it is dignity of service that they deserve.

I wish you the very best on this campaign trail — and know, because I served with them while in the Clinton White House and elsewhere, that your advisers and supporters are a testament to both the attraction of your leadership and the heart that people want in that leadership.

Fair winds!'

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1287364162

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 12:47 AM

2. Class acts--both of them.

I doubt that Sestak's career in public service are over. I can envision him in a Cabinet position.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 12:58 AM

3. Hope so, or something in/for PA?

He sure has credentials, and drive.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 07:15 AM

5. If you want him to become Sec Navy, great...

I've been through two PA Senate campaigns with him, and he's a terrible candidate.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 03:13 AM

4. Personally I think Biden is a shoe in to be among the top two for this campaign but imo regardless

I think the winner should join with the #2 so that we have a strong unified ticket.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 02:14 PM

6. I wish everyone polling under 4% would drop out

There are still a few left.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread