HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Nikki Haley Used System f...

Wed Nov 20, 2019, 08:37 PM

Nikki Haley Used System for Unclassified Material to Send 'Confidential' Information

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: The Daily Beast

North Korea had just tested an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of hitting Alaska, and the Trump administration was scrambling to react. But it seems Nikki Haley, Trump’s ambassador to the United Nations, had lost her password for classified communications.

That’s why on that fraught July 4, 2017, she was typing away on her BlackBerry 10 smartphone, sending “confidential” information over a system meant only for unclassified material.

Haley was in a rush as she headed to her office—“On my way in”—shooting emails back and forth with top aides who’d been with her since she was governor of South Carolina. She needed to make a statement, and they were drafting it for her. “Let’s clean this up,” she writes after looking at some of the copy. “Pretty this up for me,” she says.

The next day we discover what the problem is with her communications. “Can’t find my password for the high side,” she writes.

The stylistic suggestions and the apparent explanation for using less secure messages was in a trove of emails recently obtained under the Freedom of Information Act by the watchdog organization American Oversight.

Read more: https://www.thedailybeast.com/nikki-haley-used-system-for-unclassified-material-to-send-confidential-information

Someone ought to lock her up.

5 replies, 1001 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nikki Haley Used System for Unclassified Material to Send 'Confidential' Information (Original post)
Julian English Nov 20 OP
The Velveteen Ocelot Nov 20 #1
Grokenstein Nov 20 #2
Historic NY Nov 20 #3
politicaljunkie41910 Nov 20 #4
OKNancy Nov 21 #5

Response to Julian English (Original post)

Wed Nov 20, 2019, 08:51 PM

1. Lock her up!

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 20, 2019, 09:24 PM

2. Surely these mails are buttery too!

...Right, all you patriotic* Republicans?

*sarcasm, obvs.

Wed Nov 20, 2019, 10:22 PM

3. But her emails.

Wed Nov 20, 2019, 11:39 PM

4. Sorry but I've never been impressed with Nikki Haley. When she was Governor of South Carolina,

I read that South Carolina's Governor had the least power of all the other states. The State Legislature was responsible for passing the
budget and the law mandated a balanced budget. I also believe that the budget was a two year budget. The Legislative Branch had all the Power and once the two-year budget was passed by the State Legislature, every other year, there was little else to be done. The power was all vested in the State Legislature, and that was the seat of power; not with the Governor. Haley's roll was mainly ceremonial, which meant making ceremonial appearances and looking pretty. Haley, her mother and her sisters spent much of their time sewing and making women's clothing for a clothing business that they had; something they had done pretty much the entire time since they came to this country. When Trump became president, he appointed her as U.N. Ambassador, a job which came with a penthouse apartment across from the UN Building, which formerly was held by Samantha Powers.

Haley would be the first person to enter the role with no direct previous foreign policy experience. Prior to Haley, the U.N. ambassador was Samantha Powers who served on President Barack Obama’s National Security Council, working as a special assistant to the president and senior director for multilateral affairs and human rights. Before that, Powers' predecessor was Susan Rice. Like many ambassadors to the U.N. before her, Rice spent part of her career as a diplomat.

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 04:57 AM

5. Locking as a duplicate

Here is the earlier thread: https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142397999

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.
https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=about&forum=1014