HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Louisiana's Democratic Go...

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:12 AM

Louisiana's Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards defeats Trump-backed businessman in close race, CNN pro

Source: CNN

Louisiana Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards narrowly won reelection, CNN projected Saturday night, beating out Republican challenger Eddie Rispone, who was backed by President Donald Trump.

Edwards will claim victory in a deep red state Trump won by 20 percentage points in 2016, and against a businessman who closely aligned himself with the President. Trump held two rallies in Louisiana over the past 10 days, but the attempt at a last-minute boost was not enough to carry Rispone over the finish line.

This is the second Democratic gubernatorial victory in a red state this month, coming after a Democratic victory in Kentucky. Democrat Andy Beshear defeated Republican Gov. Matt Bevin in a state that Trump won by 30 percentage points in 2016.

"Tonight, the people of Louisiana have chosen to chart their own path," Edwards told a crowd of supporters in the state Saturday night. "You know, I have never been more hopeful that Louisiana's best days are ahead, because we've proven what we can do when we put people over politics."

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/16/politics/louisiana-election-results/index.html

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Everything fornicate face touches turns to shit.

36 replies, 2579 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 36 replies Author Time Post
Reply Louisiana's Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards defeats Trump-backed businessman in close race, CNN pro (Original post)
47of74 Nov 17 OP
Midnight Writer Nov 17 #1
Maxheader Nov 17 #18
nycbos Nov 17 #2
BigmanPigman Nov 17 #3
Beartracks Nov 17 #5
grantcart Nov 17 #6
Gothmog Nov 17 #4
Iliyah Nov 17 #16
Roy Rolling Nov 17 #31
muriel_volestrangler Nov 17 #7
duforsure Nov 17 #8
cstanleytech Nov 17 #9
BumRushDaShow Nov 17 #10
Ferretherder Nov 17 #19
BumRushDaShow Nov 17 #22
Ferretherder Nov 17 #32
BumRushDaShow Nov 17 #33
BumRushDaShow Nov 17 #34
mwooldri Nov 17 #28
beachbumbob Nov 17 #11
gab13by13 Nov 17 #12
3Hotdogs Nov 17 #15
PuffedMica Nov 17 #13
groundloop Nov 17 #14
jpak Nov 17 #17
AKing Nov 17 #20
Tarc Nov 17 #21
mahatmakanejeeves Nov 17 #23
Lonestarblue Nov 17 #24
bucolic_frolic Nov 17 #25
keithbvadu2 Nov 17 #26
MuseRider Nov 17 #27
world wide wally Nov 17 #29
Chin music Nov 17 #30
Cha Nov 17 #35
47of74 Nov 17 #36

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:23 AM

1. Congratulations, Governor Edwards. Make America Proud. Take good care of your Office.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Midnight Writer (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 07:44 AM

18. And your constituents..

Do good things for them...

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:33 AM

2. YES

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:46 AM

3. This is what WINNING feels like!

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 01:29 AM

5. Well, Trump did predict a lot of winning!

============

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 02:45 AM

6. And I am not tired of the feeling

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 01:13 AM

4. This makes me smile

Reply to this post

Response to Gothmog (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 07:36 AM

16. My cousins in New Orleans and

Baton Rouge along with Hammond and other places in Louisiana received his calls.

Read that the NAACP had Uber to bring voters to the polling areas, free of charge.

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #16)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:04 PM

31. Corrupt GOP

The LAGOP sent a blast email of the NAACP Uber rides for poor people to all Republicans. They hoped to overwhelm Uber and harm poor people needing rides.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 03:40 AM

7. 100% of results now in - 51% Bel Edwards

Congratulations to the governor and his team. Trumpism must be defeated wherever it rears its ugly head.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 04:34 AM

8. Another clear sign for trump

His act is failing, his lies are not being believed, and his corruption and doing everything he can to please putin has people running from him and the republican party. He's destroying all chances the GOP have as more gets exposed daily now, and taking them down too. Let hope they keep doing this backing him, its only hurting them more as desperate trump continues to threaten everyone because he's getting exposed. trump's not a republican, he's just a fascist wanna be dictator trying to get absolute power too be like putin and kim are.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 04:54 AM

9. Support from Trump seems to be like the kiss of death

more often than not.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 04:56 AM

10. Great news!

In fact, best news of the morning so far!

But IMHO calling a state that currently has and has had in the past, a Democratic governor (and for multiple terms over the years) and has had Democratic U.S. Senators as well, does not equal "deep red".

The media keeps doing these characterizations and then are "shocked" with the outcomes of some elections. And thanks to the invasion of a foreign power into our elections, trying to use the 2016 Presidential vote as some sort of defining stat for many of our states as "deep red" or other idiocy, is ludicrous.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #10)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 08:03 AM

19. Lemme' tell ya', bro,...

...I live in this state(Louisiana) and yes, it is, for the most part, deep red - especially up here in the north central/east part. This is FARM country, and repugs outnumber democrats by a LARGE majoriy...in many of the state house and senate races, there weren't even dem candidates on the ballot!...the supreme court race was a choice between two r's, as was the BESE race! The secretary of state race was won by a pug, as was all but 9 of the 24 house seats and 1 of the senate seats(of 5 up for grabs)...so, yeah, it's a frickin' DEEP RED state...and it is AMAZING that Edwards won!

Reply to this post

Response to Ferretherder (Reply #19)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 08:30 AM

22. But here's the deal

The cities are blue - just like here in PA. When one looks at a map and sees huge red swaths of "red", that does not reflect the actual populations of Democrats vs Republicans - it's a psychological thing that merely reflects the geography of where they are.

For example in the 2012 election here in PA that Obama won - if you look at the map with the counties, PA "looks like" a "deep red state" but it's not because many of those "red" counties have populations of a single neighborhood here in Philly. Comparing to 2016, a flip of a county and close results in blue counties gave Drumpf the state, but only by 1% -

In PA, Democrats still outnumber Republicans in voter registrations.

Point being - so-called "deep blue states" like California, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Maryland ALL have either currently or in the past, had Republican governors. So with results like that, can one really call those states "deep blue"?

Because of gerrymandering and their taking the time to really get out the vote during census years, the GOP snatched many of our states away from us. This year will hopefully serve to have US get out there to have some control when the 2020 census happens (whether as governors and/or as one or both chambers of the state legislatures).

You know where the (D)s are and it's where the more concentrated populations are (LA 2016 results) -

To me, "deep red" means that the governor, state legislature, and top state (elected) positions like the state Supreme Courts, are "all red" (e.g., a place like Oklahoma or Idaho or Mississippi - although there's no excuse in MS except for massive voter suppression).

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #22)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:05 PM

32. All I can say is...

...I hope you are right!...'cause I am in a SEA of republican hate, racism, bigotry, xenophobia, misoginy and fake-christianity here in Monroe/West Monroe, and it's hard to be optomistic when I see almost EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW, even most friends and people I work with, on Facebook this morning CRYING about how the state is DOOMED now that John Bel Edwards has won a second term...I mean, of the DOZENS of people I know and work with, I can only think of maybe 3 people - three - that are glad Edwards won...

...just sayin'.

Reply to this post

Response to Ferretherder (Reply #32)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:36 PM

33. Oh I know

ANYONE sitting in a sea-of-red district/county/area - has my sincerest sympathy. I watched the county just outside of where I live here in Philly (Montgomery) where one of my sisters lives, that 25 years ago was a sea of (moderate) red, that included Tweety's brother (Jim Matthews) who eventually became the (R) head of their County Commissioners, slowly change. It was to the point back then that if you didn't register as a Republican there then good luck getting any services (volunteer fire, police, etc). And oddly enough, that actually masked the number of Democrats who were really there. As things begin to break, those Democrats (many originally forced to register Republican) could eventually start outing themselves and registering accordingly (and voting because many of them never bothered).

The same is actually underway where my other sister lives (Delaware County, PA), parts of which had been the bastion of the infamous "Main Line" wealthy Republicans in Bryn Mawr and Paoli and Swarthmore and Ardmore and Haverford (towns that abutted the railroad during the 1800s) and parts (like Broomall) that also became the home of their poorer "working class" cousins who left Philly and became lunatic Republicans. That sister still has a few Trumpers on her street (I have seen the signs ) but guess what? That county is also changing. And once the un-gerrymandering of the congressional seats happened here in PA last year, that county voted for a Democrat for congress. You may recall her during the Mueller probe and Judicary Committee hearings (Mary Gay Scanlon). She literally just got in a year ago after the 2018 blue tsunami -

So as some of the blue urban areas begin to bleed out into the adjacent red areas to form more and more densely populated suburbs... and as long as rampant redlining isn't occurring, you start to see changes that transform deep red counties into light red ones and light red counties into purple ones. This has happened in Virginia. It doesn't happen over night but it is slowly happening!

Reply to this post

Response to Ferretherder (Reply #32)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 01:15 PM

34. To add one other thing - CNN did an analysis -

and this is reflecting what is happening in states like yours (and even Alabama) -

Why Republicans lost another deep-red state in Louisiana governor's election
CNN Digital Expansion 2018 Harry Enten

Analysis by Harry Enten, CNN

Updated 10:44 AM ET, Sun November 17, 2019

/snip

What Edwards demonstrated on Saturday is that Trump is not everything when it comes to elections. Races across the country may showcase national trends, but candidates still matter. It's the same thing we saw in Kentucky. Democrat Andy Beshear was able to win the governor's mansion in Kentucky because Republican Gov. Matt Bevin had an approval rating well south of 50%.

Heading into 2020, Democrats need to find the right candidates to take advantage of tailwinds at their backs. If they do, they'll likely have a good 2020. If they don't, we might have a repeat of 2016 when Trump and Republicans in general won a "lesser of two evils" contest.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/17/politics/john-bel-edwards-louisiana-governor-republicans-election/index.html

I can see how those in rural areas embrace what the GOP purportedly "sells". These folks are born and raised in an environment of sink or swim with respect to their chosen occupations and so they are rewarded for "self-sufficiency" once they manage to find some kind of formula to maintain themselves. And they don't want some "government" to come in and mess up their routine. Those who master it stay and those who don't leave (if able). So you get concentrations of "likes" with similar mindsets.

The problem though is that social media - a natural offshoot of talk radio - amplifies the abject negativity. It reminds me of that ditty that came out not long ago lampooning Glenn BecKKK and his ilk -

Reply to this post

Response to Ferretherder (Reply #19)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 10:03 AM

28. The Democratic Party can't find even paper candidates?

There should be no excuse for not running in an election for any federal or state office (I'd even argue for local office but hey, one at a time). Yes, in some cases it will be a hopeless cause but IMO there needs to be a Democratic Party candidate to vote for.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 05:41 AM

11. Not all that close when you consider

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 06:48 AM

12. Meh, Republicans still have Oklahoma and Mississippi.

Do I need the sarcasm thingy?

Reply to this post

Response to gab13by13 (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 07:32 AM

15. You always need the sarcasm thingy.

You'd be surprised at what I've been judging as a D.U. juror.

Right now, someone is looking at your post ---Thought bubble - ("I think it disparages democrats".

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 06:53 AM

13. Trump loses again.

Trump is well on his way to being a one term president.

Reply to this post

Response to PuffedMica (Reply #13)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 07:05 AM

14. Hopefully LESS than one term !!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 07:38 AM

17. Fuck You Russian/NRA-backed Trump scum

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 08:11 AM

20. Trump rallies for Republican governors in Kentucky and Louisiana; they lose....

Trump booed at World Series game. Trump booed at UFC match. Trump attends Alabama home game; they lose. Trump ordered to pay 2 million in fines. Trump loses court case and must release taxes.
Winning.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 08:14 AM

21. It sucks we have to run such a stridently anti-choice candidate to win down there

but a D is still better than an R, so...

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 08:58 AM

23. Dave Weigel's Twitter account has all sorts of data about the returns.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 08:59 AM

24. It's a beautiful Sunday and time to sing "Hallelujah."

One more D in the win column! This win may scare Republicans more than the Ky. win because Bevin is despised in Ky. and many people, teachers especially, would have voted for a dust mite instead of Bevin.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 09:48 AM

25. Mo Mo Mo Mo

Momentum and Mojo. Keep it alive!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 09:54 AM

26. Has Trump called his guy a 'loser' yet?

Has Trump called his guy a 'loser' yet?

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 09:56 AM

27. Great news!

Coming from a state that went about 56% for Trump but elected a Democratic governor it feels wonderful every time I see this happen. Ours was more a reaction to a horrible governor but we still went blue on that.

WTG!!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 10:09 AM

29. Get it yet, Republicans?

Trump IS a loser.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 04:17 PM

35. Awesome! I call him "Asshole face",

though.

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #35)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 10:12 PM

36. I have a lot less family friendly terms that I use to describe fuck head.

How less family friendly is all dependent on my mood at the time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread