HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Federal judge declares Fl...

Fri Nov 15, 2019, 10:50 PM

Federal judge declares Florida ballots unconstitutional, orders change

Source: Washington Post

A federal judge in Florida ordered the state Friday to change the way candidates are listed on election ballots — a decision that Democrats in the crucial swing state say will finally take away an unfair advantage Republicans have enjoyed for years.

The current law says that whichever party holds the governor’s office can list its candidates first on the ballot in general elections. That hurts an opposing party, U.S. District Court Judge Mark E. Walker said.

He gave Florida Secretary of State Laurel Lee two weeks to tell elections supervisors in all 67 counties that the current “ballot scheme” is unconstitutional. She has three weeks to come up with a new plan.

Walker heard testimony from researchers who said the “primacy effect” is real and can give a candidate a statistical advantage as great as 5.4 percentage points. Many voters tend to vote for the first name on the list of candidates, they said.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal-judge-declares-florida-ballots-unconstitutional-orders-change/2019/11/15/0b91dc0a-0810-11ea-924a-28d87132c7ec_story.html

12 replies, 3125 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Federal judge declares Florida ballots unconstitutional, orders change (Original post)
Roland99 Nov 15 OP
radical noodle Nov 16 #1
orleans Nov 16 #2
rpannier Nov 16 #3
kurtcagle Nov 16 #4
AZ8theist Nov 16 #11
radical noodle Nov 17 #12
riversedge Nov 16 #5
NurseJackie Nov 16 #9
DeminPennswoods Nov 16 #6
getagrip_already Nov 16 #7
DeminPennswoods Nov 16 #8
Igel Nov 16 #10

Response to Roland99 (Original post)

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 01:29 AM

1. I never even noticed that about the ballots

I find it shocking to hear that voters tend to vote for the first name on the list.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to radical noodle (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 01:40 AM

2. same here. n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 02:31 AM

3. It happened in Illinois late 70's or early 80's

2 la rouchites running for the Democratic nomination won the primary. When people were asked why they voted for them, many responded, "They were the first two names on the ballot." The ballot was done alphabetically

Reply to this post

Response to rpannier (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 04:41 AM

4. More to it than that

Both of the La Rouchites had very stock English surnames, while their opponents had a very foreign surname. I lived in Illinois at the time - it was quite the scandal.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 05:49 PM

11. You're surprised?

That the US is full of low information idiots? Back in 2004, while at a sporting event, the conversation turned to politics. One of my friends acquaintances said loudly "I VOTED FOR GEORGE W!!".....I then asked him, Why?
He couldn't think of a single reason.

Reply to this post

Response to AZ8theist (Reply #11)

Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:10 AM

12. Yikes!

Yes, I really am surprised. I don't know a soul who would do that, and even if they didn't know the candidates, they'd likely vote by party.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 06:05 AM

5. great news.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 07:45 AM

6. Since this is a federal court ruling, it will apply to all states

using this same method, including Pennsylvania. IMO, this was a very poorly thought out strategy. It won't flip Florida and could cost Dems Pennsylvania - again - and reverse gains Dems made in the state house and senate in 2018.

Reply to this post

Response to DeminPennswoods (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 07:53 AM

7. Really? I thought fed courts worked by district?

So a ruling in the 4th district would only effect states under its jurisdiction, not the whole country. Is that not the case?

Reply to this post

Response to getagrip_already (Reply #7)

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 08:00 AM

8. To start, but now that there is that ruling, why wouldn't Rs

go to the federal court districts in other states where this method disadvantages them? Now they have this precedent to use.

But, tbh, given the US Supreme Courts refusal to get involved in partisan gerry-mandering, this ruling might well be overturned.

If these lawyers wanted to challenge the ballot listings, they should have sued in state, not federal, court.

Reply to this post

Response to DeminPennswoods (Reply #8)

Sat Nov 16, 2019, 01:39 PM

10. If there are any.

We wouldn't hear about that here. It's like gerrymandering--if you only check out one kind of source, all the evidence says that gerrymandering is a moral issue for (D), so that (D) would never do the immoral thing while (R) are responsible for all gerrymandering.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread