HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Scots Tourist's Hand And ...

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 12:44 PM

Scots Tourist's Hand And Wedding Ring Found Inside Shark

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: BBC News

A Scottish tourist is suspected to have died in a shark attack after his dismembered hand and wedding ring were found inside the animal.

The 44-year-old man was last seen snorkelling off the French island of Reunion, near Madagascar, over the weekend.

It is believed he was on a week-long holiday with his wife in Saint-Gilles.

His hand, identified by his wedding ring, was found inside a tiger shark which was caught for research purposes.

Local resident Erick Quelquejeu told BBC Scotland the man had left his wife for just "a few minutes" to go for a swim...

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-50331677

A local said the man's wife was really scared by what happened. Many helicopters, many planes, swimmers and boats went to try and find the guy in the ocean but couldn't find him for a few days.

The shark was among several caught on Monday and Tuesday in the Indian Ocean by the Centre de Securite Requin (CSR). It was found just over four miles (7km) from the lagoon where the man was last seen. The shark was examined on Wednesday morning.

It is not yet known whether the man drowned and was subsequently eaten by the shark, or whether he was attacked by it.

A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We are providing support to the family of a British man who died while snorkelling in La Reunion and are in contact with the local authorities."

There have been two fatal shark attacks this year at Reunion, which is in the Indian Ocean. Local authorities have implemented a ban on swimming and water sports across almost all of the island's beaches following attacks in 2013.

The island has put measures and signage in place to protect people from shark attacks.

Examiners found the man's hand and wedding ring inside a Tiger shark.

11 replies, 1258 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 12:49 PM

1. What a story, poor wife...

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 12:51 PM

2. Wasnt sure if this was an inspiring story

Of a man reuniting with his hand and wedding ring. Or a tragedy. Looks lile the latter...

Response to Tiggeroshii (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 01:10 PM

5. Tragic holiday certainly for the wife. At least they know what happened

to him, about the only positive.

Although I've never traveled to Asia, I've been swimming and snorkeling in the Pacific off Hawaii, in the Caribbean, Atlantic and Mediterranean. I was fairly ignorant of shark behavior until more recently and I know better, given my family of fishermen. It can be very serious.

Saint-Denis, Reunion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9union

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 01:01 PM

3. Why are they killing sharks for "research?" Sounds like the same excuse the Japanese

use to murder whales.

I know it's beside the point, but what good is a dead shark? Besides selling its fin & other parts for a shit ton of money.

That said, what an awful thing to find, but at least his family knows what happened. The not knowing would be terrible, too. It's too bad he disregarded all of the shark attack warning signs, both at the beach and the airport. It's their home.

Response to catbyte (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 01:10 PM

6. Good points, thanks

Response to catbyte (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 01:52 PM

7. what is the shark eating, in what waters has it traveled, does it have any diseases or parasites

This sort of information is important to studying ocean ecology

Response to DBoon (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 02:14 PM

10. And each of those may be accurately tracked without killing it.

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 01:06 PM

4. "The island has put measures and signage in place to protect people from shark attacks."

Oh come on. The sharks can't read the signs anyway.

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 01:59 PM

8. After finding his dismembered hand and wedding ring inside a shark they only "suspect" he died in

a shark attack? That's taking the "alleged" bit a bit too far, don't you think. He would have bled to death after his hand was removed, even if other sharks didn't consume him.

Response to Nitram (Reply #8)

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 02:08 PM

9. They're overly cautious I think. Unfortunately he's gone, poor wife

sounds very upset. Who wouldn't be..

Thu Nov 7, 2019, 04:26 PM

11. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.

This post is not important news of national interest only. Can be posted in GD.