HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Facebook fought to keep a...

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 01:34 PM

Facebook fought to keep a trove of thousands of explosive internal documents and emails secret. They

Source: Insider

An explosive trove of nearly 4,000 pages of confidential internal Facebook documents has been made public, shedding unprecedented light on the inner workings of the Silicon Valley social-networking giant.

On Wednesday, the investigative reporter Duncan Campbell released a vast swathe of internal emails, reports, and other sensitive documents from the early 2010s that detail Facebook's internal approach to privacy and how it worked with app developers and handled their access to user data.

... snip ...

Facebook leveraged its volumes of user data to benefit its friends while deliberately kneecapping its competitors. NBC reported in April: "In some cases, Facebook would reward favored companies by giving them access to the data of its users. In other cases, it would deny user-data access to rival companies or apps."

Facebook whitelisted certain companies to allow them more extensive access to user data, even after it locked down its developer platform throughout 2014 and 2015. TechCrunch reported in December that it "is not clear that there was any user consent for this, nor how Facebook decided which companies should be whitelisted or not."

Facebook planned to spy on the locations of Android users. Citing the documents, Computer Weekly reported in February that "Facebook planned to use its Android app to track the location of its customers and to allow advertisers to send political advertising and invites to dating sites to 'single' people."

Read more: https://amp.insider.com/facebook-internal-documents-executive-emails-published-six4three-court-leak-2019-11

12 replies, 1630 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Facebook fought to keep a trove of thousands of explosive internal documents and emails secret. They (Original post)
UpInArms Wednesday OP
alwaysinasnit Wednesday #1
Thekaspervote Wednesday #2
The Liberal Lion Wednesday #3
RT Atlanta Wednesday #5
marlakay Wednesday #4
Thekaspervote Wednesday #8
Dream Girl Wednesday #6
Maven Wednesday #7
FrankBooth Wednesday #9
UpInArms Wednesday #10
Thekaspervote Wednesday #11
Skittles Wednesday #12

Response to UpInArms (Original post)

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 01:46 PM

1. K&R Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 01:53 PM

2. There have been many discussions here about FB and why NOT to boycott. I rest my case!!

I hope those that were against a boycott are reading this!!

The guysí a crook... why not boycott them?? Why put one more dime, into his pocket

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 01:55 PM

3. When facebook started sending me ads

of things I had TALKED about with other people on the phone and had never in any way done a search on or discussed (messenger) within their space I decided that facebook must come off my phone and never be there in anyway ever again.

I despise facbook but still use to promote my business interest. I tell it almost nothing about myself and I only share items promoting my business.

Reply to this post

Response to The Liberal Lion (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 02:00 PM

5. this is the weird one for sure

the listening is no-doubt there

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 01:59 PM

4. I just wish someone with money would make

A better Facebook type site that we could all join without ads, consider it their service to America and beyond.

Regulated and all to keep out hate speech and lies.

Itís not only my family and friends I keep in contact with that I have met in other areas, not close enough to call personally but I want to keep in touch, but also I belong to a few private groups about my health issues and I need the support.

Reply to this post

Response to marlakay (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 02:43 PM

8. Email, FaceTime, Instagram, text messages, snap chat

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 02:17 PM

6. But it's just so CONVENIENT! How else will I show people what I had for dinner?

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 02:27 PM

7. Facebook is malware. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 03:22 PM

9. I find the Facebook defending posts here baffling

Of course there are good things about the platform, but nothing that can't be done elsewhere. Facebook has proven itself to be untrustworthy with personal data, and uncaring about the Democratic process if there's a buck to be made. If you are on the platform, you are enabling them.

No Facebook, no President Donald Trump. Period.

Reply to this post

Response to FrankBooth (Reply #9)

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 05:29 PM

10. Closed my account after Cambridge Analytica

Havenít missed it for 3 seconds

My friends are my friends... in real life

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 05:42 PM

11. Thank you... a voice of sanity!!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 6, 2019, 11:07 PM

12. it terrifies them they might have to put a little effort into" keeping up" with people

that's 90% of what it is

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread