HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Explosive device detonate...

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 01:41 PM

Explosive device detonates at Montana elementary school, no injuries reported

Source: The Hill

BY TAL AXELROD - 10/15/19 01:38 PM EDT

An improvised explosive device detonated at a Montana elementary school just before classes started Tuesday morning, authorities said, but no injuries were reported.

The Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that the device was found on the Rossiter Elementary School playground in Helena. No students were nearby when it detonated, officials said.

Authorities evacuated students from the school following the incident and locked down all Helena and East Helena schools as a precaution.

“Our intentions are to make all the schools as safe as possible. We’ve been doing sweeps of the area, the playgrounds, the parking areas, and if the schools want us to come into the interior of the school, we’d be more than happy to oblige,” Undersheriff Jason Grimmis said at a press conference.

Read more: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/465869-explosive-device-detonates-at-montana-elementary-school-no

5 replies, 1396 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Explosive device detonates at Montana elementary school, no injuries reported (Original post)
Judi Lynn Oct 2019 OP
Mister K Oct 2019 #1
moreland01 Oct 2019 #2
Archae Oct 2019 #5
maxsolomon Oct 2019 #3
lapfog_1 Oct 2019 #4

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 02:04 PM

1. Dry Ice perhaps?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 02:13 PM

2. Way back in 1980

a guy blew up his own locker, right next to mine. He was kind of a loner. I still remember seeing him in his army green jacket and long'ish hair. I liked him. Anyway, the school was evacuated for a couple of hours and then we all went back to class. OmahaMike, this was at Papillion/La-Vista High.

Reply to this post

Response to moreland01 (Reply #2)

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 03:23 PM

5. Did the guy ever say why he did that?

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 02:17 PM

3. throwback to the golden era of juvenile deliquency?

making stuff blow up real good.

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #3)

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 02:25 PM

4. When I was a wee child

5 years old... my older cousins and brother made an M-80 "bomb" for the 4th of July. 4 M80s were placed into a pipe and fuses measured and poked through a hole they drilled. They put an unside down wheelbarrow over where the IED (as we would now call it) and detonated the device... the wheelbarow split the pan and few about 12 feet into the air. There was a nice big crater in the back yard.

My dad (and my uncles) were not amused. Made the boys fix the crater, pay for new sod and a new wheelbarrow.

However, the police were not called nor did anyone think this was something they should be locked up for.

OTOH, other then when making this device, nobody was in danger.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread