HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Trump sets sights on Indi...

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:40 AM

Trump sets sights on Indian American voters ahead of 2020

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Politico

The president hopes to appeal to Indian Americans at massive ‘Howdy Modi’ rally with popular Indian leader.

By ANITA KUMAR 09/22/2019 06:44 AM EDT

Trump will speak to an expected crowd of 50,000, mostly Indian Americans, who are flocking to the most diverse city in the nation to catch a glimpse of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at what is being touted as the largest event in the U.S. for a leader of foreign country............................................................................

“It’s giving a message to the Indian community that Trump is a big friend of India,” said Rupesh Srivastava, a Michigan businessman and founding member of the Republican Hindu Coalition. “That message will definitely motivate people.”

In 2016, about 1.2 million Indian-American were registered to vote with Indian-Americans, according to Asian American and Pacific Islanders Data. Estimates put Indian American voter registration at 1.4 million in 2020.

Republicans have been trying for years to make inroads with Indian Americans, one of the fastest growing ethnic groups in the United States, who register and vote at high rates.

Read more: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/22/trump-indian-american-voters-2020-1507266

23 replies, 1221 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump sets sights on Indian American voters ahead of 2020 (Original post)
riversedge Sep 22 OP
blm Sep 22 #1
Sudsy Sep 22 #4
blm Sep 22 #9
tanyev Sep 22 #2
Roy Rolling Sep 22 #3
Mike 03 Sep 22 #11
bucolic_frolic Sep 22 #5
OKNancy Sep 22 #6
JI7 Sep 22 #19
BumRushDaShow Sep 22 #7
gordianot Sep 22 #8
sanatanadharma Sep 22 #10
PSPS Sep 22 #12
JonLP24 Sep 22 #13
left-of-center2012 Sep 22 #14
packman Sep 22 #15
keithbvadu2 Sep 22 #16
bullwinkle428 Sep 22 #17
modrepub Sep 22 #18
TeamPooka Sep 22 #20
locks Sep 22 #21
Hekate Sep 22 #22
Omaha Steve Sep 22 #23

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:42 AM

1. And replacing Pence with Nikki Hailey

quite possibly.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to blm (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:49 AM

4. Interesting thought.

It makes sense except that Pence is an Evangelical celebrity, and Trump can't take a chance on offending that block.

Response to Sudsy (Reply #4)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 10:00 AM

9. I think they've already proven they are easily manipulated by Trump.

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:43 AM

2. Bet he's got an awesome Indian-American accent imitation to wow them with.

3. Indians in America

I’m very familiar with the Indian community. Most came to American to assimilate in America, not be identified as Indian. Especially their children, they most all say they are American and minimize their Indian heritage.

Like all natives of another country, there are a small minority who have no issue exploiting their new country or their former country by supporting Trump. The weasel, Trump-like Indian business people.

They only liked Trump because he said he was the great American success story, now they know he’s the great American grifter. They won’t be fooled twice.

Response to Roy Rolling (Reply #3)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 10:07 AM

11. Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

I've often wondered what Indians in America think about Modi and the changes that have happened since he became PM.

5. Do MAGAt's and Republican Hindu Coalition jive?

Maybe there's a secret sauce we're missing.

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:50 AM

6. As Bobby Ghosh said this morning

He is an Indian American... He said that Indian Americans won't vote for Trump and even if they did, there are so few and they are spread out all over the US it wouldn't make any difference in election totals.

Response to OKNancy (Reply #6)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 01:15 PM

19. i think it's about money

partly fundraising but even more about profitung himself from business deals.

they have been involved with some corrupt sleazy Indian business types before.

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:51 AM

7. Indian-American like...

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:53 AM

8. Trump has to cherry pick a minority he has not insulted in public.

If Trump has not insulted Indian Americans it is due to discrimination with his equal opportunity insults.

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 10:02 AM

10. Modi and other modes of MAGA madness in 50 states to mince and grind America, more MAGA

Getting close and friendly with brown (golden) skin foreigners who speak another language and have been invading our country since the mid 1960's, say it isn't so MAGA! Have you ever tried to find a flyover-country motel that wasn't in Indian hands; often with alters to Gods and Goddesses, say it isn't so MAGA!

Why, even the Gurus have come to sway our youth with drums and chants and swaying bodies doing devotion; the horrors!

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 10:46 AM

12. It's Sunday, thus Politico has to fill its word quota for the day with something. This week, Indians

This is all nonsense and desperate click bait. File this under 'outreach' after 'hispanic' but before 'puerto ricans'

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 10:54 AM

13. I hear there are problems with Modi

How the White Nationalists Who Love Trump Found Inspiration in the Group That Gave Us Narendra Modi

QUESTION: WHAT IS the connection between controversial Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi — who is visiting Houston this Sunday for the “Howdy, Modi” summit, as well as a meeting with President Donald Trump — and a spate of white nationalist terrorist attacks across the West?

Answer: Anders Breivik.

You remember Breivik, right? The homicidal Islamophobe who massacred 77 people in Norway in 2011? Brevik, who was sentenced to 21 years in prison, is now viewed as a “saint” by far-right activists. Christopher Hasson, the Coast Guard lieutenant and self-proclaimed white nationalist accused of plotting the assassination of prominent Democrats and journalists, has cited Breivik as an influence. The Christchurch shooter Brenton Tarrant described the Norwegian mass murderer as his “true inspiration” and even suggested that they had been in contact, while the El Paso shooter Patrick Crusius, in turn, expressed support for the “Christchurch shooter and his manifesto,” as did the San Diego synagogue shooter.

But where did Breivik himself draw inspiration from? It probably won’t shock you to hear that he name-checked a range of conservative and far-right commentators from the U.S. and the U.K. in his rambling and racist manifesto. But it might surprise you to discover that this modern icon of white nationalist terrorism also mentioned India, and in particular Hindu nationalism, on a “remarkable 102 pages” of his 1,518-page screed.

For Breivik, it is essential that far-right, Islamophobic movements in Europe and India “learn from each other and cooperate as much as possible.”
BREIVIK CALLS ON his “Hindu Nationalist brothers” to “rise up” against the Muslim conquerors of India, and extols Hindu nationalist groups because “they dominate the streets” and “do not tolerate the current injustice and often riot and attack Muslims when things get out of control.” However, he complains, “this behaviour is nonetheless counterproductive.”

https://theintercept.com/2019/09/21/howdy-modi-trump-anders-brevik/

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 11:03 AM

14. 'Howdy Modi' rally

Howdy?

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 11:06 AM

16. Will it be Bobby Jindal attending or will it be Piyush Jindal attending?

Will it be Bobby Jindal attending or will it be Piyush Jindal attending?

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 11:07 AM

17. I'm sure he'll remind the rally crowd several times that he blew off

his Sunday golf game for them!

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 12:50 PM

18. Strange Bedfellows

This seems to be an odd pairing for the Republican Party. The obvious conflict is religion; how do you square polytheism with evangelical Christianity? Though to be honest most people from India I've met gave up vegetarianism shortly after they migrated here so I don't know how strong their religious ties are.

Second conflict is with the Republican's basic message on immigrants displacing American workers. Many Indians are IT workers or engineers, which are generally high paying positions. This seems to be overlooked but I guess Republicans generally look the other way on this one because the impression is these type of workers are more valuable than low wage migrant workers.

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 01:26 PM

20. Trump gonna tell them why he wants to stop all immigration into the USA?

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 01:48 PM

21. I am sickened by this rally

in Houston. Though I wish CNN or MSNBC, not just Fox had covered it. I have known so many Indian-Americans all over the nation in my long life, most educated, hard-working, caring and proud citizens who contribute so much to our nation. This huge crowd and Modi's awful effusive introduction of Trump is shameful and embarrassing after all Trump has done to destroy our nation and keep out immigrants who wanted only to escape poverty and violence, have a better life and the chance to help build our country.

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 01:51 PM

22. Wait. Didn't I just read that Tulsi is greeting Modi?

I'm confused.

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 02:00 PM

23. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Trump’s planned speaking engagements are generally not important news for LBN.