HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Ukrainian leaders feel tr...

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 08:55 AM

Ukrainian leaders feel trapped between warring Washington factions

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: WAPO-EUROPE

By Michael Birnbaum and David L. Stern September 21, 2019 at 9:32 p.m. EDT

KIEV, Ukraine — Ukrainian leaders are trapped in the middle of a very Washington firefight, facing mounting pressure from President Trump and his allies to investigate the son of political rival Joe Biden, and are searching for a way to escape.

They could give in to Trump’s demand to open an inquiry into the Ukrainian business dealings of Hunter Biden and risk the anger of Democrats and others for engaging in what those interests would see as interference in the 2020 elections. Or the Ukrainians could defy Trump and face the wrath of a president who had frozen $250 million of crucial military assistance for mysterious reasons before releasing it earlier this month.

Either way, they risk cracking the bipartisan consensus that has firmly supported Ukraine against Russia since 2014, when the Kremlin annexed Ukraine’s Crimea region and stoked war in Ukraine’s east. If Ukraine becomes associated with one U.S. political party or the other, it could jeopardize ties with its most important security backer.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/ukrainian-leaders-feel-trapped-between-warring-washington-factions/2019/09/21/f0ff90ac-dbf1-11e9-a1a5-162b8a9c9ca2_story.html

5 replies, 748 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ukrainian leaders feel trapped between warring Washington factions (Original post)
lindysalsagal Sep 22 OP
global1 Sep 22 #1
BumRushDaShow Sep 22 #2
BigmanPigman Sep 22 #3
KPN Sep 22 #4
Omaha Steve Sep 22 #5

Response to lindysalsagal (Original post)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:04 AM

1. I'm Sorry - This Is A Bogus News Story......

They are not risking anything. The pressure is off on them because the whistleblower blew this out in the open. Trump is the one that should be feeling the pressure - not the Ukrainians. They are not under the gun anymore. They don't have to give into Trump's demand - as they know and we know that Trump was asking them to find dirt where no dirt exists - and further - Trump released the $250 million in military assistance - because he feared he'd be exposed on the extortion.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to global1 (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:53 AM

2. It's more of an analysis piece...

Response to global1 (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 09:59 AM

3. I was thinking the same thing.

I read it twice, thinking I must have missed something since it doesn't make sense.

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 12:14 PM

4. Of course they do. They are being blackmailed. Why wouldn't they feel this way? nt

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 01:57 PM

5. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Analysis.

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.