HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » $248 million settlement r...

Wed Aug 21, 2019, 09:37 PM

$248 million settlement reached with Chinese drywall maker

Source: Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) A proposed $248 million settlement has been filed in a decade-old federal court case over defective Chinese drywall blamed for damaging home appliances and sickening residents.

The proposed settlement between property owners and Taishan Gypsum Co. was filed in U.S. District Court in New Orleans on Tuesday. It comes nearly eight years after a major settlement in another case involving a different Chinese company, Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin Co., and in the wake of other settlements with various homebuilders, equipment suppliers and installers who used the material.

All of the litigation arose from the use of defective drywall in thousands of homes between about 2005 and 2008. The product was alleged to have given off sulfur fumes that corroded metal in appliances, air conditioning equipment, wiring and plumbing fixtures. In some cases the fumes were blamed for illnesses.

A committee of attorneys for the property owners in the Taishan case said in a news release that most of the residences involved were in Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Virginia.

-snip-

By KEVIN McGILL
today

Read more: https://apnews.com/3430d8261de94741b1c3f61ef2c45fc7

4 replies, 1075 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply $248 million settlement reached with Chinese drywall maker (Original post)
Eugene Aug 21 OP
catrose Aug 21 #1
Roy Rolling Aug 21 #2
Sherman A1 Aug 22 #3
3Hotdogs Aug 22 #4

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Wed Aug 21, 2019, 10:10 PM

1. I remember asking where my drywall was coming from and specifying NOT CHINA

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 21, 2019, 11:19 PM

2. A gigantic problem after Katrina

The hot and humid climate produced another disaster for residents who were flooded out. They had to gut their homes again because the fumes from defective drywall were making them sick and corroding exposed metal in the house.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 22, 2019, 07:13 AM

3. Seems pretty low to me

Should have been 10 times that number.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 22, 2019, 07:37 AM

4. But will they be able to collect?

Reply to this post