HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Pete King Becomes First H...

Mon Aug 19, 2019, 09:31 PM

Pete King Becomes First House Republican To Back Assault Weapons Ban

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by JudyM (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Huffington Post

08/19/2019 08:16 pm ET Updated 21 minutes ago

A bill prohibiting sale or possession of the firearms was introduced months ago. It’s co-sponsored by 200 Democrats.
headshot

By Amy Russo

Rep. Pete King of New York on Monday became the first House Republican to back an assault weapons ban, joining its 200 Democratic co-sponsors.

The bill, titled The Assault Weapons Ban of 2019, was introduced in February by Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.). It applies to semi-automatic assault weapons and large-capacity ammunition magazines, both of which would be illegal to import, transfer, manufacture, sell or possess.

“They are weapons of mass slaughter,” King told the New York Daily News. “I don’t see any need for them in everyday society.”

King’s endorsement comes after two mass shootings devastated the nation earlier this month ― one at an El Paso, Texas, Walmart where an alleged white supremacist killed 22 people, and another in downtown Dayton, Ohio, where a gunman killed nine people. Combined, the attacks also injured more than 50 people.

Read more: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pete-king-first-house-republican-to-back-assault-weapons-ban_n_5d5b25a9e4b0f667ed6755b6

9 replies, 806 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pete King Becomes First House Republican To Back Assault Weapons Ban (Original post)
Judi Lynn Aug 19 OP
asiliveandbreathe Aug 19 #1
FakeNoose Aug 19 #2
Eliot Rosewater Aug 19 #3
rpannier Aug 19 #4
mwooldri Aug 19 #5
orleans Aug 20 #6
Kablooie Aug 20 #7
wiley Aug 20 #8
JudyM Aug 20 #9

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Aug 19, 2019, 09:38 PM

1. King moving in the right direction..maybe his constituents are making noise..?? n/t

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Aug 19, 2019, 09:42 PM

2. Thank you Congressman King

You're a good American. We don't need assault weapons in the hands of non-military people.

Mon Aug 19, 2019, 09:45 PM

3. One republican willing to say weapons of mass destruction should not be on the street

sheesh

sigh

good for him, though

Mon Aug 19, 2019, 10:30 PM

4. I'll take the vote

At this point I'd take the vote from the Head of the freedumb caucus for an assault weapon ban just to get it through

Mon Aug 19, 2019, 10:55 PM

5. I'll applaud him on this occasion.

His support for the Irish Republican Army during "The Troubles" is not forgotten by me but if he recognizes that assault weapons do not belong on the streets then it is a good thing. He needs to persuade an awful lot of people on his side though....

Tue Aug 20, 2019, 01:38 AM

6. this peter king?

"Watch a clip here from Alexandra Pelosi's HBO film "Diary of a Political Tourist"](yes Nancy's Daughter) catches a tipsy Congressman Peter King making a comment at a White House function before the election had even been started declaring that, "It's already over. The Election's over. We Won."

"When Pelosi asks, "How do you know that?" King replies, "It's all over but the counting. And we'll take care of the counting."
This was recorded in he summer of 2003 a year before the 2004 election! Elections have been stolen for the last two presidential races the whole thing is just a sham now. "

Tue Aug 20, 2019, 02:30 AM

7. Whoa! I saw 'King' and thought 'Steve' King at first.

Kinda scared me.

Tue Aug 20, 2019, 03:58 AM

8. He's the only GOP member that actually cares about cops

The rest of the GOP are just frauds and liars. The people in his district do not want these guns in their communities. Maybe he will provide cover for some other GOP members. Until we take back the Senate - which should be our main focus - it doesn’t matter though.

Tue Aug 20, 2019, 07:30 AM

9. Locking.

This was already posted - dupes are prohibited in LBN.

Please continue discussion at this thread: https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142356932