HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Beto O'Rourke visits gun ...

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 10:03 AM

Beto O'Rourke visits gun show in Arkansas one day after releasing gun control plan

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Yonnie3 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: CBS News

2020 Democratic hopeful Beto O'Rourke visited a gun show in Little Rock, Arkansas, on Saturday, one day after releasing a gun control plan that included mandatory buybacks for assault weapons. O'Rourke returned to the campaign trail on Thursday after taking a 12-day hiatus following the mass shooting in which 22 people were killed in his hometown of El Paso on August 3.

"In Arkansas, I listened to gun owners and sellers and appreciated hearing their perspectives," the Texas Democrat posted on social media. "But as the plan we released yesterday says, if I'm president, you wouldn't be able to buy weapons of war for $395. You wouldn't be able to buy them at all."

O'Rourke's gun show visit was first reported by ABC News, which reported it was an unannounced visit. According to ABC News, O'Rourke paid $10 to get into the event and spoke to a gun seller there. The gun seller said he would support a requirement that gun-show sellers like him get a federal firearms license.

The National Rifle Association responded to O'Rourke's tweet, quoting "if I'm president" and then writing "Beto: Have you taken a look at the polls?" with the crying-while-laughing emoji. O'Rourke responded, "Yeah. I've seen them. 70% of Americans support an assault weapons ban, including most Republicans."

Read more: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/beto-orourke-gun-show-texas-democrat-visits-gun-show-in-arkansas-today-nra-responds-2019-08-17/

3 replies, 504 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Beto O'Rourke visits gun show in Arkansas one day after releasing gun control plan (Original post)
groundloop Aug 18 OP
progree Aug 18 #1
Yonnie3 Aug 18 #2
tblue37 Aug 18 #3

Response to groundloop (Original post)

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 10:11 AM

1. Did you mean to post this in Democratic Primaries?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 10:15 AM

2. Locking ...

Please discuss Democratic Primary Candidates in the Democratic Primaries Forum

Per the announcement on Feb 20, 2019 by site administrators, all discussion of the Democratic Primaries and candidates belongs in the Democratic Primaries Forum. Please re-post there if you like.

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 10:15 AM

3. He & Buttagieg both are very good with comebacks. nt