HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Elijah Cummings: Trump's ...

Sun Jul 21, 2019, 10:16 AM

Elijah Cummings: Trump's words brings back bad memories of racism

Source: Politico

By BIANCA QUILANTAN 07/21/2019 10:06 AM EDT

Rep. Elijah Cummings on Sunday said the events of the week since President Donald Trump’s “go back” tweet aimed at four progressive congresswomen of color reminded him of being a 12-year-old growing up in 1962 Baltimore.

“We were trying to integrate an Olympic-size pool near my house and we had been constrained to a wading pool in the black community,” the Maryland Democrat told George Stephanopoulos, host of ABC’s “This Week.” “As we tried to March to that pool over six days, I was beaten, all kinds of rocks and bottles thrown at me. And the interesting thing is that I heard the same chants. ‘Go home, you don't belong here.’ And they called us the ‘N‘ word over and over again.”

Cummings’ anecdote came days after a Trump rally in North Carolina during which some of the crowd chanted “send her back” in reference to Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), an American citizen who was born in Somalia. Trump on Friday said that crowd was filled with “incredible patriots.”

“What it does, when Trump does these things it brings up the same feelings that I had over 50-some years ago and it's very, very painful,” the House oversight chairman said. “It's extremely divisive and I don't think this is becoming of the president of the United States of America.”

Read more: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/21/elijah-cummings-donald-trump-race-1424123

3 replies, 681 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Elijah Cummings: Trump's words brings back bad memories of racism (Original post)
DonViejo Jul 21 OP
Ohiogal Jul 21 #1
ck4829 Jul 21 #2
yaesu Jul 21 #3

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sun Jul 21, 2019, 10:19 AM

1. Nothing about Donald Trump is becoming of the POTUS

He represents everything that is wrong with our society. In other words, he is a total disgrace to America.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jul 21, 2019, 10:21 AM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 21, 2019, 11:58 AM

3. the racist right has always been there, waiting for their Hitler to show up, lead them, destroy the

country.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread