HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Virginia lawmakers spar o...

Sat Jul 20, 2019, 09:33 PM

Virginia lawmakers spar on reported Trump visit to Jamestown

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Associated Press

Updated 3:43 pm CDT, Saturday, July 20, 2019

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) Virginia lawmakers are sparring after a report that President Donald Trump will attend the 400th anniversary celebration of the first meeting of the state's legislative body in Jamestown.

Democrats have threatened to boycott the event because they say Trump doesn't represent their values - a reaction the Republican Senate majority leader calls disappointing and embarrassing.

. . .

The event is commemorating the 400th anniversary of representative government in America with the founding of the House of Burgesses, which was the first representative legislative assembly in America. It is part of a weeklong observance of the state's colonial past including the first arrival of African slaves in the former British colonies.

The report sparked statements from lawmakers in both parties. Democrats quipped "send him back," playing off a chant by a crowd in North Carolina at a Trump rally where he again targeted four minority women Democrats in Congress as being un-American for their political views.

Read more: https://www.chron.com/news/us/article/Virginia-lawmakers-spar-on-reported-Trump-visit-14110815.php

7 replies, 1294 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Virginia lawmakers spar on reported Trump visit to Jamestown (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jul 20 OP
turbinetree Jul 20 #1
nitpicker Jul 21 #2
Mc Mike Jul 21 #3
Maxheader Jul 21 #4
TNNurse Jul 21 #5
Aristus Jul 21 #6
Omaha Steve Jul 21 #7

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat Jul 20, 2019, 11:53 PM

1. Oh yippie, my historical ties to Jamestown go back to the ship British George in 1620

from which my great, great, great, great, great uncle was on that ship as the surveyor of the Crown, and then became the Secretary to the Governor. There is a plaque in the Jamestown church, but his body has never been found........................and so zippy the full fledged racists wants to come down and do exactly what, give my family back Kent Island,from Lord Baltimore ............................or does he want to make it into a golf course...............................since he has no ties to the region.......................my answer to him is stay away, go back to your country, traitors to the crown are not welcome , especially German mercenaries......................

https://www.claibornesociety.org/history/brief_background_on_william_claiborne.shtml

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jul 21, 2019, 07:29 AM

3. Can he bring some tanks?

Capt. Wingfield used tanks to ram the ramparts and drive Walt Raleigh off from the VA Air National Guard base.

Sun Jul 21, 2019, 07:41 AM

4. doesn't represent their values of...

the first meeting of the state's legislative body in Jamestown.

Sun Jul 21, 2019, 11:31 AM

5. Weren't the members of the first legislature....

immigrants??? I totally support people not going if Trump is there.

Sun Jul 21, 2019, 12:07 PM

6. Is there even a Jamestown site to visit?

I remember reading somwhere that, due to coastal erosion, the site of the original Jamestown is now underwater.

Sun Jul 21, 2019, 06:30 PM

7. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Local news. The rest of the country could care less about a VA based political controversy over the Presidents visit.