HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » House Votes to Repeal Oba...

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 10:03 PM

House Votes to Repeal Obamacare Tax Once Seen as Key to Health Law

Source: MSN

WASHINGTON — In the heat of the legislative fight over the Affordable Care Act, Obama administration officials argued that including a steep tax on high-cost health insurance plans would hold down soaring costs by prompting employers to rein in such plans and force employees to spend more of their own money on their care.

On Wednesday, that feature, once considered central to Obamacare, was dealt a blow by an unlikely foe: Democrats.

The House voted almost unanimously to repeal the tax, not only a key cost-containment provision in Barack Obama’s signature health law but also one of the main ways it was supposed to pay for itself.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/house-votes-to-repeal-obamacare-tax-once-seen-as-key-to-health-law/ar-AAEt0TD

I don't understand this...I am hoping someone can explain. I am confused.

8 replies, 1830 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply House Votes to Repeal Obamacare Tax Once Seen as Key to Health Law (Original post)
FormerOstrich Jul 17 OP
The Velveteen Ocelot Jul 17 #1
AJT Jul 17 #3
wiley Jul 17 #2
MichMan Jul 17 #4
rlegro Jul 18 #6
VarryOn Jul 18 #8
cstanleytech Jul 17 #5
customerserviceguy Jul 18 #7

Response to FormerOstrich (Original post)

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 10:06 PM

1. I'm guessing it's to take away one of the GOP's arguments

for trying (again) to repeal it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #1)

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 10:11 PM

2. It was a stupid tax

It worked as well as the Republican tax fraud scam recently passed. Oops! The Republican tax fraud scam didn't generate money, jobs or revenue sharing with non-stockholders, and now we have a huge deficit that Republicans want to take money from SS for.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 10:22 PM

4. I think it was included originally to ensure that the costs were scored by the CBO under a trillion

Then it was never actually implemented. As I recall, the direct Student Loan program was also inserted into the ACA for similar reasons.

Reply to this post

Response to MichMan (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 12:42 AM

6. On his first day in office, Trump...

signed an executive order banning the IRS from enforcing the individual mandate. Gee, I didn't know a president could unilaterally wipe out a law not only enacted, but which also survived a Supreme Court case.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2017/02/16/442006.htm

Reply to this post

Response to rlegro (Reply #6)

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 01:22 AM

8. Presidential executive orders need to be dealt with by Congress...

They're not a good way to run things. Even if you get a good one, it's easily done away with by the next administration.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 10:43 PM

5. I suspect they are doing it to put the heat under the Repugnants and Trump mainly as he and the

other Repugnants were using it to rally their base.
Now with it out the way Trump will be forced even more to present his better than Obamacare plan and the Repugnants will be forced to support him or suddenly find a spine and choose to buck him.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 12:48 AM

7. If I recall correctly

the so-called Cadillac tax would be dealt with by a conference committee. Then, Scott Brown got elected to Teddy Kennedy's seat, so the House had to swallow the bill that had passed the Senate, negating the conference committee. Now is the reckoning of that decision.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread