HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Planned Parenthood presid...

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 09:02 PM

Planned Parenthood president forced out after only 8 months

Source: ABC News

The president of Planned Parenthood, Dr. Leana Wen, was ousted Tuesday after just eight months on the job as the organization faced unprecedented challenges related to its role as the leading abortion provider in the U.S.

Wen, in a Twitter post, said she learned that Planned Parenthood's board "ended my employment at a secret meeting." She indicated the board wanted more emphasis on political advocacy, while she sought to prioritize Planned Parenthood's role as a provider of health care services ranging from birth control to cancer screenings.

"We were engaged in good faith negotiations about my departure based on philosophical differences over the direction and future of Planned Parenthood," Wen said. "I am stepping down sooner than I had hoped."

Her departure came as the Trump administration announced it would start enforcing new rules that ban taxpayer-funded family planning clinics referring women for abortions. Planned Parenthood, the largest recipient of those funds, says it will not abide by those rules.

Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/planned-parenthood-president-forced-months-64376851

12 replies, 1608 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Jose Garcia (Original post)

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 09:05 PM

1. you can't avoid the political side with all the shit happening

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JI7 (Reply #1)

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 09:22 PM

2. PP is like that. I worked for PP of CT and there were in-house politics you wouldn't believe.

It happens in all organizations, tho. However, we expect better from the good organizations like PP.

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #2)

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 10:42 PM

3. yep, we expect more from Planned Parenthood.

Reply to this post

Response to iluvtennis (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 01:15 AM

4. Expect more?

Could you be more specific?

Reply to this post

Response to Sucha NastyWoman (Reply #4)

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 03:29 PM

10. I was just agreeing with the poster that I agree that leader of PP needs to cover

both providing productive health care as well as playing the "politics game".

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 11:33 AM

5. Good - Dr Wen was not the right pick for PP in these times.

They need a warrior and she isn't one.

Reply to this post

Response to SharonClark (Reply #5)

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 11:49 AM

6. This is an ongoing struggle in this organization. I can see credit to both sides of it.

Indeed, the founders of PP were well aware of the political battles they had to fight in order to provide the care they felt women needed and deserved. PP was founded during a time in CT when contraceptives were outlawed and the landmark Supreme Court decision in Griswold v. Connecticut laid down the right to privacy, later used in Roe v. Wade in the fight to give women the right to an abortion. The political arm of PP is kept separate from its health facilities.

Both political advocacy and delivery of services are needed. It is a difficult job to manage both simultaneously.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 11:57 AM

7. PP as been around for a long time

Dr. Wen, not so much.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 02:50 PM

8. If "politicking" is the goal, why was she picked for the job in the first place?

I'll make my usual donation this fall, but I hope they can continue to provide health care services in the future, and not spend all our donations on lobbyists.

Reply to this post

Response to JustABozoOnThisBus (Reply #8)

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 03:11 PM

9. The situation is pretty dire.

Last edited Wed Jul 17, 2019, 04:50 PM - Edit history (1)

Forceful, persuasive "Political Advocacy" (not "Politicking" ) is essential to combat the Anti-Choice propaganda that is ascendant during President Rapist Sociopath's term.

If Dr. Wen couldn't do that, or didn't have the confidence of the board that she could do that, then this is a good move.

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #9)

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 04:29 PM

11. I would just hate to see them lose sight of their original mission. Or priorities.

Like the NRA did.

If they start spending more on lobbying and litigation than they do on health services, support may suffer. Their charitable donations may already be suffering due to the new tax laws' standard deductions.

Reply to this post

Response to JustABozoOnThisBus (Reply #11)

Wed Jul 17, 2019, 04:53 PM

12. Forcing them into that corner is part of the Anti-Choice strategy.

They must defend their use of Federal dollars - or concede the field.

Anecdotally, 2 women in my household are angrier, and donate more to PP & NARAL, than ever before in their lives.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread